The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I would probably say that murder is worse in the aspect that it ends a life. It causes pain to the victim, the victims family and even the murderers family (I.e. parents going through the trauma of loosing their child in the aspect that they have to go to prision, pondering on where they went wrong in their parenting etc)

However you could argue that rape is equally as bad or even worse as it can essentially 'end' a life due to emotional, mental and physical scarring - the effects it can have on someone can be overwhelmingly detrimental to their health, and maybe even lead them to end their life.
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't know, but torture is probably worse than both.
Depends entirely on the person being affected.
Reply 23
Really depends on how its done. Both murder and rape are fairly wide definitions.
However in the majority of cases murder is worse, as a rape victim can eventually recover, its only a temporary effect. Also the effect on the victims friends is better. Its not nice knowing your friend got raped but at least you havent lost them.
Reply 24
(OP if you're deciding which one to carry out, do neither, go and chill out and find a less destructive hobby instead)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Murder is worse id say, Law is based on an individual's freedoms and what freedom does someone have if they are dead compared with someone who has been raped? :P.
Murder is definitely worse, to the people saying that they couldnt live with the trauma? Look at Iraq, Afhganistan and Syria were people see there family and friends blown to smithereens everyday, seeing there kids blown up, then you say you would rather die than suffer the trauma of rape?
I'm glad to see sensible responses.

Murder is, of course worse than rape. It's not really a competition.

Murder not only ends someones life but creates massive trauma for everyone that person knows. The grief of losing someone close to you is, at worst, comparable to being raped in terms of long-term trauma.
Reply 28
In the case of which is worse, I'd say that murder is worse.

There are many different approaches that people could take which could make them perceive rape or murder to be worse than the other. I view it as long-term effects; family, money, friends, career etc.

If Person A was murdered, then Person As' death has had a big effect on the family, the money income (if with family), friends and business.

If Person B was raped, then Person Bs' rape does too have an effect on all those things above, except it isn't as bad as Person A. This is because they could still work and bring in money, still hang around with friends, look after family, further their career etc.

Person A cannot do any of those things. (with the exception of bringing in money, life insurance etc)
Reply 29
I dont think we can understand it until it does happen, for example that bbc programme about the unspoken crime rape recently the women were shattered, I dont think we can choose weather we would rather be raped or murdered. I never knew the after effects of rape were so bad :0
im sure the 6 million jews would have rather been raped than murdered during the holocaust
Reply 31
You can't plan your revenge when your dead. So for me murder is definitely worse than rape.
Reply 32
no, not even close. rape is horrifying but murder is final, saying that rape is worse is just insulting to rape victims who have gone on to have fruitful lives.
I don't think you can put a number on which is worse. Murder is worse for the loved ones left behind. Rape is worse for the victim.

When someone is murdered, yes its very sad, but the loved ones will grieve, and eventually move on from it and sort of be at peace with the loss of whomever it was.

However in the case of rape, it sticks with you, forever. And it doesn't just affect you, it affects those around you. Your family and friends feel helpless because they don't know how to comfort you. For some victims of rape, they can't even bare to be touched for a long time after, like, even just a simple pat on the shoulder or a hug. It can tear relationships apart. Its something that does affect the victim for the rest of their life, its something they have to remember. Yes, it does often compel the individual to make a better life for themself and help others in the same situation. But it stays with you forever.

With murder, its final, its done, its over, but the victim doesn't suffer for years with it. With rape, you do.

Unless you've been through both, you can't say which is worse. And that's impossible because obviously you can't go through murder and be alive to give your opinion.

But having gone through rape, I can honestly say I'd have preferred murder.
What a stupid and horrid thread. Is OP trying to decide which crime to commit today? Utterly bizarre.
Reply 35
Murder's worse, nobody recovers from it. You can argue that rape victims never fully recover from rape, but they generally recover enough to not be suicidal, if they even were suicidal at the time.
Reply 36
I'd rather be alive and damaged than dead. It's a bit like saying, "is grievous bodily harm worse than murder?". GBH, like many rapes, is violent, and, like rape, can leave a person physically and psychologically damaged. As bad as that is, I don't think death is preferable to that.
well i think murder would be better only because im very vindictive and would literally set out to kill/severely injure whoever had raped me. Id think up a plan to injure him and then cut his balls off. So I might as well be dead than spend the rest of my life on the run/in prison. Unless Id get a reduced sentance because the murder was strongly provoked?
(edited 10 years ago)
Wow I thought about this a few hours ago and this came up. We are truly becoming a hive-mind TSR.

I didn't really come to any conclusion but I considered it because of the fact that women are able to give life and men are renowned for taking it, to rape a woman may destroy her will to ever copulate, thus effectively preventing a life from ever existing. However, I am not sure whether this is a consequential disposition of rape victims, I would have to hear from the honest thoughts of a random sample of victims to truly know.
(edited 10 years ago)
Don't forget that men can get raped too!

Anyway, I don't know. At all. :/. They're both terrible. However, if you die, then that's it. You're dead. :/ which is the end.

Latest

Trending

Trending