The Student Room Group

Taking two packs of Microgynon-30 back to back?

I have been on the pill (Microgynon 30) for about 7 months now and have had no problems at all - I never have any breakthrough bleeding or spotting or anything. The reason I started taking the pill was because I used to get horrid (not particularly heavy) periods that made me nauseous, dizzy, crampy etc so much so that I'd end up missing a week of everything every month. I am not on it for contraception - this is why I'm asking this: I start the first pill of each strip on a Thursday, take for 21 days (finishing on a Wednesday) and three days later (Saturday) always start my period. This month's period is due tomorrow and I bleed for almost the full 7 day gap. Next month though I have a dance show on the Sunday (the day after I will come on), and I really really cannot have my period then. The pill has definitely helped with making my periods better and they are nowhere near as bad as they were, but I'm in a lot of dances, some of which are quite full on and I'll be wearing stupid skimpy costumes etc and just generally being on my period will not work...please don't just say use a tampon because I do; that's not the issue. I just really don't want to be on while I have rehearsals and a show etc. Sooo my question is, will it be ok to go straight on to the next pack of pills after the first pack ends (so I'd take the last pill on the Wednesday and then start the next pack the next day on the Thursday)? How likely is it that I'll get breakthrough bleeding during my show and how heavy could it be? Also, should I continue the whole second pack or can I stop taking it after my show, have a 7 day gap (when I guess I'll have my period) then continue the pack again (like I said, I'm not using this for contraception so I don't mind if I'm less 'protected')? I really just need to delay my period till the Monday after my pack ends - so two days after I would usually come on. Annoying timing I know! SO: Should I: a) take two packs back to back completely b) start the second pack straight after the first, then stop after my show, have 7 days off, then continue with the second pack where I left off. I'm just worried that two packs back to back is quite a long time to not have a period and surely my womb is going to be...building up...? Sorry it's so long, thank you!
Reply 1
I'm no doctor or anything but I'd say go with option a.
I've been taking packs back to back for a while now and so far nothing bad has happened to me. As far as I know I'm still perfectly healthy.
Besides my doctor was the one who suggested it, so I'm assuming it's ok.
Don't worry about it building up - the pill thins out/prevents the growth of the womb lining so it's unlikely to accumulate :smile:
The only reason I'm not sure about option b is because I'm not sure how advisable stopping halfway between packs is.
But maybe someone else on here knows :dontknow:
There is no reason you couldn't do this and it should be fine. However, no one can say for 100% certain that you won't spot or bleed a little.

Since you're not using it for contraception, the other thing you could do is extend this break by a week or something so that your cycles change over later than they have been until now.
With the contraception I'm on, the instructions tell me to take it the same way as yours but my doctor advised me to take it for 3 months straight and then take a break. I don't come on my period or anything between so it's fine. I'm sure you'd be fine doing it this way just once with yours especially as you're not using it for protection. Hope this helps :smile:
Micrygynon its ok to take up to three packs back to back. Depending on your anatomy. I often take two packs back to back but find I get break through bleeding if I make it three but that's just me.

Do not start the second pack and then stop half way through it. you'll muck up your hormones. Just take the two packs back to back and have your break when you finish the second pack. you don't really get "build up" as the pills stop the lining thickening. the bleeding is actually withdrawal not the usual period blood
Reply 5
Thanks guys - i think I'm going to take the two back to back. Thanks for helping :smile: Question though; I've never really understood how the bleed in between is different to a normal period? Like I know that the pill stops you releasing an egg so why does your body still build up the lining? Probably a dumb question but my doctor never explained how it does what it does!
It doesn't. it's withdrawl bleeding. not sure why
Reply 7
Oh ok. Where does the withdrawal bleed come from though if there hasn't been any build up?
Reply 8
It's fine to do, however be aware you can still breakthrough bleed. I was on microgynon and back to backed a pack a couple of christmas's ago, and I ended up bleeding for almost 2 months straight where it sent me all over the place, and it never sorted out after that and I had to change birth control to stop it!

If you do breakthrough bleed, I find it best just to stop taking the pill, have a 7 day break and start again and that's usually the best way to sort it out (Especially as you say you're not on it for birth control so much as period regulation)
Reply 9
I take microgynon and have for at least 4 years I'd say. I'll occasionally do a back to back if I don't want to be on for something, like a holiday.
Never had an issue :smile: When you finish the pack, the next day immediately start the next pack. You shouldn't bleed at all. Don't do it too often though because the whole point of not going back to back every single month is so your body gets a period :smile:
Reply 10
Yes you can skip a period i've done it several times just gone on to the next pack and your period will come again when the 7 day gap comes.It's not recommended but it hasnt messed up my cycle doing it.
I am on this pill I normally carry my pill on for two packets at a time but decided to do three for a change and now I was spotting yesterday and I'm sure I have come on my period today and I don't know what to do? Will I still have a period when I stop taking the pill? Ahhh help
Year old thread!
If you take it back to back, are you still protected contraception-wise? Don't want to be on my period for Reading festival but still need to be protected.
I've been on microgynon for a couple of years and I always take three packs back to back. I'm in a long term relationship and don't use any protection other than the pill. So I can safely say you will definitely still be protected! Sorry for the late reply :smile:
Reply 15
I do this as well, I've never taken a break because of my relationship and other things.. But all of a sudden I've started bleeding. I figured it's just Coz I missed a pill one day and haven't been taking them at the same time recently and that it'll calm down soon
Reply 16
Iv taken pills back to back for ages and now iv started to have a breakthrough bleed for 1 week now so do u all reckon i should stop taking the pill and give it 7 days then take the pill again?please help
(edited 7 years ago)
Also I was wondering if you could help me, I'm on my second pill packet without a break but I could do with having my period this week as I'm going away next week but last night I had unprotected sex, what is the chances of my getting pregnant?
Original post by Heys
Iv taken pills back to back for ages and now iv started to have a breakthrough bleed for 1 week now so do u all reckon i should stop taking the pill and give it 7 days then take the pill again?please help

This happened to me so I took a week off to allow my normally period then started the pack again and I was completely fine
Hi i took 19 pill and i miss two days can i still take the pill and take a next pack to delay my period

Quick Reply

Latest