eblogging Watch

This discussion is closed.
rednirt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Ok, I'm trying to find some nice software for eblogging purposes on my website (as thats the only highly unoriginal thing i can think of doing right now). Found graymatter that a few other people i know use, but its doing my head in with the installing it (I'm a complete self taught novice when it comes to HTML and all that computer crap)

anyone know any simpler software? or a simpler way to explain graymatter to me?
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not a clue
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)
Ok, I'm trying to find some nice software for eblogging purposes on my website (as thats the only highly unoriginal thing i can think of doing right now). Found graymatter that a few other people i know use, but its doing my head in with the installing it (I'm a complete self taught novice when it comes to HTML and all that computer crap)

anyone know any simpler software? or a simpler way to explain graymatter to me?
amazingtrade will probably help you
rednirt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Danithestudent)
Not a clue
like the link
rednirt
Rep:
?
anyone? please? *starts sobbing* I would offer rep, but that would make me feel cheap
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I might be able to help with graymatter, I've installed it a couple of times. What's the problem?
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I always wanted to do a blog but never had the software knowhow so ended up typing a journal, I'm already 400 pages into it.
rednirt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Frances)
I might be able to help with graymatter, I've installed it a couple of times. What's the problem?
in a word, everything lol.

I'm not getting what Perl is (tried installing something called it today but got bored with the download) and as for the cgi-bin, dont get me started. I probably do know what it is, but am being my usal Spaz-Monkey self :rolleyes:
rednirt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daveo)
I always wanted to do a blog but never had the software knowhow so ended up typing a journal, I'm already 400 pages into it.
at the mo I just write straight into the HTML and just cut and paste everything at the end of the month into a new file so my site doesn't get too big. But I fancied summat new, and when I first started visiting elogs they all used it but never had enough time to start my own site.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i a word, everything lol.

I'm not getting what Perl is (tried installing something called it today but got bored with the download) and as for the cgi-bin, dont get me started. I probably do know what it is, but am being my usal Spaz-Monkey self :rolleyes:
Where abouts are you installing it? If it isn't installed in the cgi-bin, it just won't work. You also need to make sure it gets uploaded in Ascii mode rather than binary, and that you CHMOD the files properly... which probably just sounds really confusing. I could't figure it out the first time I tried, ended up asking my hosting company to do it for me, but I managed the next time.
rednirt
Rep:
?
Where abouts are you installing it? If it isn't installed in the cgi-bin, it just won't work. You also need to make sure it gets uploaded in Ascii mode rather than binary, and that you CHMOD the files properly... which probably just sounds really confusing. I could't figure it out the first time I tried, ended up asking my hosting company to do it for me, but I managed the next time.
oh, how small i feel, everything is going over my head lol

Don't worry, I'm obviously stretching myself a bit with this one. I've mastered the simplness of HTML, I'll wait a few more years for this stuff... or get my fellow flat mate who does computing to have a look :confused:
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oh, how small i feel, everything is going over my head lol

Don't worry, I'm obviously stretching myself a bit with this one. I've mastered the simplness of HTML, I'll wait a few more years for this stuff... or get my fellow flat mate who does computing to have a look :confused:
Have you thought about using blogger? The ftp details can be a ***** to figure out right, but you don't actully have to install anything on your site...
rednirt
Rep:
?
Have you thought about using blogger? The ftp details can be a ***** to figure out right, but you don't actully have to install anything on your site...
thanx for your help, will try it... tho see what you mean about ftp... don't think my hosting has it... I'll check...
rednirt
Rep:
?
damnation... only get ftp on my hosting if pay. the cheek of it! well, the search continues...
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (98)
18.96%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (329)
63.64%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.64%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.77%

Watched Threads