The Student Room Group

Am I allowed to retake an A level (AS and A2)

I most likely wont fail my A levels, but Im pretty sure they'll be lower than I want. I haven't applied for any uni's this academic year, as Im taking a gap year, so I'll be applying next academic year starting september '13. With the grades I most likely will have, I wont be able to apply to the unis I want, and ultimately not do the degree/pursue the career I want (it wouldnt be worth it if to study it elsewhere with lower entry requirements). But I dont want to give up so quick on it at all, so I want to know if Im allowed to resit the exams for a subject and try achieve a better results. Im not talking about just AS, but the A2 also. Im very desperate and I dont mind if it means it'll take longer and exhaust my money, but I really want to study a degree at a worthwhile uni. I want to know if I can, and if so then will I be able to do them all in january '14. If so, when would I recieve my results and would I be able to have them in time to apply through ucas, before the deadline for uni's that year? There are also courseworks, would I have to do these all over again also? Where do I go to resit my exams? How much will resitting one exam cost me? Im very desperate and I struggled alot this year, I dont want it to bring my ambitions to a halt and I'll do whatever I can to achieve better A levels? Thank you for your help!! :frown:
Uhm January exams are being scrapped so you have to take your exams in the summer also exams cost around 15 i think we'll thats what a retake costs at my sixth form also unis dont really like people doing the a levels over three years soo i would recommend working at it taking a gap year and applying buts its up to you and the course and uni you're gonna apply too :smile: good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by RockyA
so I want to know if Im allowed to resit the exams for a subject and try achieve a better results. Im not talking about just AS, but the A2 also.(
Yes - you can re-sit any/all units in order to achieve a better grade.

Original post by RockyA
will I be able to do them all in january '14.(

No, January exams have been abolished. You would have to take them in the summer and put 'pending' on your UCAS application. Your results would come out in August.

Original post by RockyA
There are also courseworks, would I have to do these all over again also?(
Only if you want to and you can find someone prepared to supervise and mark them.

Original post by RockyA
Where do I go to resit my exams? How much will resitting one exam cost me?(
Any exam centre (=any secondary school or college) could accept you as a private candidate but few will. The simplest and most likely option is your current college as most let ex-students return to retake. This is also likely to be the cheapest option. The exam board fees vary between £11.50 and £40 per unit, with most being in the £12-£20 bracket. However, centres are likely to add on a charge for their time, expertise and invigilation and this can take the price up to £100 per unit (more for Science practicals) so it pays to shop around. There is advice on all the exam board websites for 'private candidates'.
Reply 3
wow thank you so much! I better start a planning a year ahead, and try my best this year anyways! Kinda bummed that I cant do it in january as it would have been ideal.. but thank you for the information, I was so confused as to where I'll be going :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest