The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Jeez, I bet you're glad you took Maths.
LOL maths is the greatest subject in the world!!!

*dies of boredom* :wink:
Reply 3
I think that they have like a predetermined scale which they fit marks to (thats how they do it in electronics anyway, im just assuming it's the same)
Originally posted by Leekey
I think that they have like a predetermined scale which they fit marks to (thats how they do it in electronics anyway, im just assuming it's the same)

How does that work?
normally they will convert that into a score out of however many (normally 100), so you'll have got 67.

they then spend ages "scaling" these marks nationwide, to take into account whether the paper was slightly harder or easier than preceding years. this is why you may score 50/75 as a raw mark, but your UMS score will be 71, not 67.
Reply 6
They find a way of coding the marks before the exam and then set grade points( eg B = 60/75). From that they use a sliding scale to determine your position with in the contry. They do juggle things about afterwards to ensure that the top 5% in the country have 100% but I think thats how its done.
Do they ever scale marks down, if they feel that everyone did well? I hope not.
That's not so bad then :smile: Think I'll be re-taking it in November along with P1 and P2 though lol I loved this season's S1 paper though, it had hardly any probability in it with unions and intersections and crap!!
Reply 9
I love probability and was gutted that they didn't test it more !!!

This could be due to the fact that im a compulsive gambler but....
Reply 10
They do scale down as well as scale up marks.
Originally posted by Leekey
I love probability and was gutted that they didn't test it more !!!

This could be due to the fact that im a compulsive gambler but....

lol you should write to edexcel for special consideration :wink:
Reply 12
To be fair they give special consideration for anything thesedays. If people can't spell particularly well then they are "partially dislexic" and if your handwriting is poor you have "impared hand-eye co-ordination". In my humble opinion they should give extra time and laptops to people with "compulsive-must-visit-the bookies-every-day disorder" (thats what I've got).
OMG I have poor hand-eye co-ordination!! :biggrin:

I know what you mean though.. Giving extra time for dislexic candidates is a bit unfair - why not just disregard the QoC (2 or 3 marks) points instead of giving them an extra 25 minutes.
Reply 14
No they couldn't do a sensible, logical thing such as that !!!!!!!!!

Do they not think that by giving extra advantages to people they are effectively screwing the idea of standardised testing. I do not in any way agree with exams (mainly because i'm toss at them) but the whole idea is that they test your ability and reward those who "EXCEL" ( excuse the pun). By starting someone with an advantage it defeats the point.

Latest

Trending

Trending