The Student Room Group

teacher training

, currently I am in the Army, and plan to sign off in october 2013 which means I will be able to leave sometime within a year after then, I really want to become a Physical education teacher, when I was at school my GCSE' results were
B - Media studies
C - ICT, PE
D - English Maths Science and Business

since joining the army I have qualifications which are equal to a grade C level in English & Maths
I didn't do any A levels i did Plumbing at college for 2 years.

is there a way that i would be able to get on to the teacher training courses if not what are my options?
I realise on paper my grades are not great but that doesn't mean i haven't got a lot to offer especially in the
sport and fitness field.
Finally, my expertise haha...

So to be able to teach ANYTHING! You need a degree of some sort. This doesn't have to be in the subject you want to teach, it just has to be relevent, so for instance, somebody who wants to teach maths like myself, could have a degree is accountancy or economics and still teach maths. The reason for a degree is so you can get onto the Post Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE). Which gives you Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

So my advice would be to do a degree that is relevent in the subject which normally takes about 3 years depending on what you do. Then you need to get/above a 2:2 degree which is sort of a grade of your degree, to get onto a PGCE. But to do a degree you obviously need level three qualifications which can be from a-levels to professional qualifications, you say you have done plumbing at college for two years, now if that is a level three qualification, then that will be worth UCAS points which are what most universities want off of you for entry requirements to the course. Now this has been awfully explained as is all over so i'll explain it better.

Need level three qualifications (Maybe your plumbing is) if not then take up some classes at college or alevels etc. ---> Do a degree in a relevent subject (need to get a 2:2 or above which is a grade) ---> Get onto a PGCE course. Then boom, find a job! The whole thing could take 6 years, but if you already have level three qualifications then it would only take you 4 years.

This is if you want to be a PE teacher which would be a long winded way of doing it but unfortunatly is the only.

BUT...

If you're wanting to be a teacher then this would be a much quickier way, now there is something called the open university which is a university but you do everything from home, so its abit like IGCSE's if you have ever heard of them. Now this means you can choose from a massive variety of degrees which are cheaper than a degree would be if you went to a normal uni, also there is NO entry requirements to do the degree which would mean tou wouldnt need to do any alevels or level three qualifications, but the only problem is that there isnt pe, but pe is a type of science ans there is alot of science degrees and social sciences which could enable you to be a pe teacher, you would have to check the PGCE specifics.

But i hope this has helped, here are some useful links you might like to look at:

This is a low entry requirement university, they are asking for a grade C at GCSE in maths and english and also a degree in a relevenet subject for the PGCE: http://www.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/course/237/entry/

This is the open university that offers lots of degrees which would enable you to go onto a PGCE course, but you will have to contact the university by email to see if they'd except any socialk science or something like that.

Infact, arrrrrrgh!!! Ive just lied to youuuuuuuu :'(, im sorry, erm....... The open university do offer a degree in sport, fitness and coaching, BSc (Honours) Sport, Fitness and Coaching, so you can do that, then get on a PGCE course easily, but, which this specific course there are some entry requirements, but there not hard ones, they are just asking for

•an exercise instruction qualification recognised by the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) or
•a coaching qualification from an established sport with a recognised National Governing Body.

which open university tell you how to get, on this page, http://fels-external-documents.open.ac.uk/Exercise-Instruction-and-Coaching-Qualifications-Information.pdf, and here is the pase to the degree, http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/q76.htm

So new plan!!!

1) get either an exercise instruction qualification recognised by the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) or
a coaching qualification from an established sport with a recognised National Governing Body.

2) Do a degree in BSc (Honours) Sport, Fitness and Coaching
3) Get onto a PGCE course
4) Get a job!
Simples
The reason why the open university will be ALOT better than going to a univeristy will be because this way you wouldn't have to do any level three qualifications such as alevels to get into a uni. And also this is sooooooooo much cheaper, i mean a degree at a uni is about £15,000, whereas this is only £5000.
^^ THIS IS THE BEST AND EASIEST WAY TO DO IT
Hope this has helped and sorry for the long essay haha :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi! I recently qualified as a teacher and something that is just coming throughore and more broadly is troops to teachers - I know of you take a look at PGCE on Nottingham University's site there is loads of information about how to train and what you need

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BradleyAllison
Finally, my expertise haha...

So to be able to teach ANYTHING! You need a degree of some sort. This doesn't have to be in the subject you want to teach, it just has to be relevent, so for instance, somebody who wants to teach maths like myself, could have a degree is accountancy or economics and still teach maths. The reason for a degree is so you can get onto the Post Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE). Which gives you Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

So my advice would be to do a degree that is relevent in the subject which normally takes about 3 years depending on what you do. Then you need to get/above a 2:2 degree which is sort of a grade of your degree, to get onto a PGCE. But to do a degree you obviously need level three qualifications which can be from a-levels to professional qualifications, you say you have done plumbing at college for two years, now if that is a level three qualification, then that will be worth UCAS points which are what most universities want off of you for entry requirements to the course. Now this has been awfully explained as is all over so i'll explain it better.

Need level three qualifications (Maybe your plumbing is) if not then take up some classes at college or alevels etc. ---> Do a degree in a relevent subject (need to get a 2:2 or above which is a grade) ---> Get onto a PGCE course. Then boom, find a job! The whole thing could take 6 years, but if you already have level three qualifications then it would only take you 4 years.

This is if you want to be a PE teacher which would be a long winded way of doing it but unfortunatly is the only.

BUT...

If you're wanting to be a teacher then this would be a much quickier way, now there is something called the open university which is a university but you do everything from home, so its abit like IGCSE's if you have ever heard of them. Now this means you can choose from a massive variety of degrees which are cheaper than a degree would be if you went to a normal uni, also there is NO entry requirements to do the degree which would mean tou wouldnt need to do any alevels or level three qualifications, but the only problem is that there isnt pe, but pe is a type of science ans there is alot of science degrees and social sciences which could enable you to be a pe teacher, you would have to check the PGCE specifics.

But i hope this has helped, here are some useful links you might like to look at:

This is a low entry requirement university, they are asking for a grade C at GCSE in maths and english and also a degree in a relevenet subject for the PGCE: http://www.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/course/237/entry/

This is the open university that offers lots of degrees which would enable you to go onto a PGCE course, but you will have to contact the university by email to see if they'd except any socialk science or something like that.

Infact, arrrrrrgh!!! Ive just lied to youuuuuuuu :'(, im sorry, erm....... The open university do offer a degree in sport, fitness and coaching, BSc (Honours) Sport, Fitness and Coaching, so you can do that, then get on a PGCE course easily, but, which this specific course there are some entry requirements, but there not hard ones, they are just asking for

•an exercise instruction qualification recognised by the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) or
•a coaching qualification from an established sport with a recognised National Governing Body.

which open university tell you how to get, on this page, http://fels-external-documents.open.ac.uk/Exercise-Instruction-and-Coaching-Qualifications-Information.pdf, and here is the pase to the degree, http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/q76.htm

So new plan!!!

1) get either an exercise instruction qualification recognised by the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) or
a coaching qualification from an established sport with a recognised National Governing Body.

2) Do a degree in BSc (Honours) Sport, Fitness and Coaching
3) Get onto a PGCE course
4) Get a job!
Simples
The reason why the open university will be ALOT better than going to a univeristy will be because this way you wouldn't have to do any level three qualifications such as alevels to get into a uni. And also this is sooooooooo much cheaper, i mean a degree at a uni is about £15,000, whereas this is only £5000.
^^ THIS IS THE BEST AND EASIEST WAY TO DO IT
Hope this has helped and sorry for the long essay haha :smile:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22798200

"Ex-troops without degrees to train as teachers"
Quote from the above article: "According to the Department for Education (DfE), service leavers without degrees "will be the only people able to start training as a teacher without a degree and be qualified within two years". "

Therefore I wouldn't worry too much about spending four years on a degree AND PGCE when you don't need one, needless to say money. Especially, as through this new programme, you will receive a salary as if you were training on a GTP or Graduate Teacher Programme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending