The Student Room Group

BUSS3 Ratio analysis help?

Hi, I know ratio analysis quite well, it just the "average figure" I'm having trouble with on some of them. This is what I have so far, are these figures right? And what are the ones I have missed out? I know each figure depends on the business etc but what's the average figure for each ratio? Thank you

Current Ratio - 2/1.5:1

Acid Test - 1/0.75:1

ROCE - The higher the better

Gearing - 25% (low), 50% (high)

Asset Turnover - 2

Inventories Turnover -

Receivable Days - 28 Days

Payable Days - 30 Days (Aims to have a payable days figure that exceeds receivable days figure)

Dividends Per Share -

Dividend Yeild -
Reply 1
Original post by MrChuckNorris
Hi, I know ratio analysis quite well, it just the "average figure" I'm having trouble with on some of them. This is what I have so far, are these figures right? And what are the ones I have missed out? I know each figure depends on the business etc but what's the average figure for each ratio? Thank you

Current Ratio - 2/1.5:1

Acid Test - 1/0.75:1

ROCE - The higher the better

Gearing - 25% (low), 50% (high)

Asset Turnover - 2

Inventories Turnover -

Receivable Days - 28 Days

Payable Days - 30 Days (Aims to have a payable days figure that exceeds receivable days figure)

Dividends Per Share -

Dividend Yeild -

For inventories turnover it depends on the business. A company that sells fresh fruit and veg may have a high stock turnover whereas a clothes retailer may have a low stock turnover.
Reply 2
Original post by Gurd33p
For inventories turnover it depends on the business. A company that sells fresh fruit and veg may have a high stock turnover whereas a clothes retailer may have a low stock turnover.

Oh okay thanks, what about Dividend per share? I've heard it's the higher the better but I'm not sure if that's true as the higher it is, the worse off it is for the business as they have to less retained profits right? But it's more attractive for investors to purchase share so I'm not sure if it's the higher to the lower the better, or a specific figure?
Reply 3
Oh okay thanks, what about Dividend per share? I've heard it's the higher the better but I'm not sure if that's true as the higher it is, the worse off it is for the business as they have to less retained profits right? But it's more attractive for investors to purchase share so I'm not sure if it's the higher to the lower the better, or a specific figure?

With dividend per share it'll probably depend on the current financial position of a company. If the company is performing well and is profitable, a high dividend per share would be appropriate whereas if there is a low dividend per share then you could question if it would be a good return on investment as the company is reluctant to pay a dividend. However, if the company was performing badly a low dividend per share would be more relevant whereas a high dividend per share could be the wrong strategy as they could use the earnings for other areas of the company
Reply 4
Original post by Gurd33p
With dividend per share it'll probably depend on the current financial position of a company. If the company is performing well and is profitable, a high dividend per share would be appropriate whereas if there is a low dividend per share then you could question if it would be a good return on investment as the company is reluctant to pay a dividend. However, if the company was performing badly a low dividend per share would be more relevant whereas a high dividend per share could be the wrong strategy as they could use the earnings for other areas of the company

Ohhh okay I get it now thank you!
Reply 5
Ohhh okay I get it now thank you!

Good luck for buss3 :smile:
Reply 6
Remember for ROCE, 20%-30% is a good amount. Any lower than 20 and the Business may need to increase its profits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by CharlieTT
Remember for ROCE, 20%-30% is a good amount. Any lower than 20 and the Business may need to increase its profits.<br />
<br />
<font size="1"><a href="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app" target="_blank">Posted from TSR Mobile</a></font>

Forgot about that, lol thanks
Re: Dividend Per Share

Another really important factor to consider is the type of investors/shareholders the company has, i.e. whether it's made up of dividend investors or growth investors. The former want a steady if not growing stream of dividends from the companies they invest in. The latter on the other hand, prefer if the companies they invest in pay little-to-no dividends since a low payout ratio (i.e. low dividend payments) means a high ploughback ratio (i.e. high retained earnings) which will result in greater investments being made by the firm in order to grow.

Consider thinking about Apple - for years, Apple didn't pay any dividends! Investors loved this because it was primarily made up of growth investors. The one's that did complain were of course, dividend investors but Apple wasn't really concerned about them at the time. Now that it's in a strong cash position, it's giving back to the investors by means of dividends and share purchases.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Vashisht

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending