Can I use a sunbed after having a tattoo if I cover it?

Watch
Charlottelt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Before I start, if you're here to lecture me about sunbeds, don't waste your time. I'll just ignore you.

I'm getting a tattoo done for my birthday on my hip and have been advised to wait for a month before I use sunbeds after I get it done. I plan on using sunbeds to prepare my skin for going abroad and build up a slight base tan. If I had the tattoo covered with a plaster or clothing would I be able to use them sooner than a month or not?
simplylldxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You have to wait 6 weeks I think before using a sun bed, same with getting a natural tan! You have to let the tattoo heal first

Posted from TSR Mobile
Genau
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't know exactly how long you should wait but if you've been given advice please don't ignore it! Decide whether or not you're happy going away without the tan, and if not you can always get the tattoo done later on
boba
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
perhaps but then you would have a plaster shaped tan line and a weird pale area around your tattoo. its probably best to just wait as per the original recommendation
DeceitfulDove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How many minutes and how often are you intending to use the beds? All my tattoos have healed in about two weeks. I suppose is depends where the tattoo is placed on your hip, I have one just under my trouser line so I would just wear shorts on the beds after 3 weeks as long as the tattoo is healed fully. I don't think it's worth having a dodgy tan for though haha, and you could be unlucky and harm your tattoo FOREVER but I know how hard it is to be so excited for your first tattoo and you don't want to push it back.

Can you get the tatt a bit earlier?
Ed Smith
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mine have been fine after two weeks, long as no
Scabs are there. Use factor 50 sun cream on your new tattoo too.
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Surely fake tan is answer here.Sunbeds do not actually produce a tan that protects you from the sun anyway.
(Original post by DeceitfulDove)
How many minutes and how often are you intending to use the beds? All my tattoos have healed in about two weeks. I suppose is depends where the tattoo is placed on your hip, I have one just under my trouser line so I would just wear shorts on the beds after 3 weeks as long as the tattoo is healed fully. I don't think it's worth having a dodgy tan for though haha, and you could be unlucky and harm your tattoo FOREVER but I know how hard it is to be so excited for your first tattoo and you don't want to push it back.

Can you get the tatt a bit earlier?
CccChloe1990
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I work in a sunbed shop and most of us have tattoos and all of us go on beds. If you have something the right size to cover it you will be fine. Do not. Put suncream on it that isn’t good for healing tattoos and I wouldn’t recommend it. If you cover it though the area where the tattoo is will look pale so keep that in mind. The few weeks/month when your tattoo is healing it’s advised not to go in the sun without cover. That might be hard to do while you are going away. Get the tattoo earlier if possible x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (44)
13.5%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
14.11%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (119)
36.5%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (32)
9.82%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (67)
20.55%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.52%

Watched Threads