The Student Room Group

Confusion over exam system?

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by greenladybird
Hey, this will seem a bit odd, so I'll explain a bit.
My friend has a boyfriend who lives in England and he dropped out of exams because he got depression etc etc.
So he would've sat GSCEs last year(I think) and then this was where I was confused. Are A-levels or whatever it's called (the level about GSCEs) a one year course or a two year course?
I'm just curious because there just seems to be something odd with how they met(online, surprisingly) and tbqh, I don't trust him, and my friend is actually OBSESSED with him.
Help would be appreciated. I'm sorry if this doesn't make any sense, so ask questions if you don't understand.

Just so you know, I live in Scotland and sit SQA exams, so I have no idea how these exams work.

Hi,

A Levels are two year courses, although at the end of the first year you sit AS (Advance Subsidiary) exams which is essentially half an A Level. Does that make things clearer?
Reply 2
Original post by greenladybird
I think so, are there any other exams qualifications that can be taken in that year?

Such as...? You can retake GCSEs and there are plenty of other qualifications that can be taken in the sixth form, but the main one taken is A Levels.
Reply 3
GCSEs are like standard grades/ int 2

A levels are similar to Advanced Highers (2 years)
AS is a half A level similar to Highers (1 year)

there are multiple different qualifications that can be taken. but its normally A levels/AS
though BTECs are sometimes taken( though i dont know much about them)
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest