How do you cover up self harm scars

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Shaliina
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm going to Spain in less than two weeks and I have two really large bright red scars on my arm which are very noticeable. I can't wear long sleeves because it'll be hot over there and I'll be going swimming. I don't think I could get away with wearing a bandage every day for 3 months either. Anyone know a way I'll be able to hide it
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
You could try waterproof foundation or something when swimming. You might be able to cover it with some sort of jewellery the rest of the time. If they're nearer your wrist bracelets or a watch would work well or you could use ribbon.

This is more longer term but may help a bit for Spain. I found that cocoa butter and aloe Vera are great for reducing scars. It usually takes a couple of months for them to go completely if you use it every day but they will probably lighten a bit in two weeks. You can get it from anywhere like body shop or probably Tesco etc.

Have fun on holiday!

Posted from TSR Mobile
AmisThysia
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
There are silicon-based gels out there to help make scars fade, and there are other solutions like jewellery, waterproof foundation, and so on. However, these won't work for bad scars. I'm going away to Tenerife in 4 weeks and although my family now knows about my scars, it'll be the first time my arm has been bare in public in over a year - unfortunately, I have thick, dark scars along with whiter raised ones all up my forearm, which a doctor said would take 15 years to a lifetime to fade, so without long sleeves I can't hide mine. Because of that, I'd say... I know how hard it is, but if your family don't know and that's why you want to hide it, you should try to tell them. They will find out eventually if the scars are as big and bright red as you implied.
Shaliina
Rep:
I've been using coco butter for a few months now and it hasn't made a difference they're still as red as before. Do you know of any shops that sell waterproof foundation? and thank you I will

Mine are really big, there wide and bright red and it's really deep :/, it's not my family I'm hiding it from, while I'm in Spain I'll be working with children and the scars might affect this. But mainly it makes me really self conscious and I just can't bear the thought of having people see it. Darker scars seem much easier to cover up compared to bright red ones.
AmisThysia
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
If your scars are bad, you'll have them for many years. You can't only wear long sleeves or a bandage for the next 5 or 10 or 30 years, so at some point, you'll have to come to terms with the scars and be more open about them. May as well do it now, around people you don't already know, to get used to it. What I'm saying sounds hard and harsh, I know, and I'm sorry... but everyone, including me and you, who's self-harmed and ended up with bad scars has to face this at some point. I understand feeling so self-conscious about it, believe me. But at some point, you have to try to come to terms with it and gain the confidence to have them seen, as a part of your past. :/.
Sabertooth
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AmisThysia)
If your scars are bad, you'll have them for many years. You can't only wear long sleeves or a bandage for the next 5 or 10 or 30 years, so at some point, you'll have to come to terms with the scars and be more open about them. May as well do it now, around people you don't already know, to get used to it. What I'm saying sounds hard and harsh, I know, and I'm sorry... but everyone, including me and you, who's self-harmed and ended up with bad scars has to face this at some point. I understand feeling so self-conscious about it, believe me. But at some point, you have to try to come to terms with it and gain the confidence to have them seen, as a part of your past. :/.
I agree with this completely.

I used to wear hoodies in summer and try to cover up every time I was in public, or even private around my family. But I've moved on, accepted I have these scars and that they're there for the long term. It's so liberating being able to wear what I want without caring what other people will think. In fact, I'm planning on going swimming tomorrow. :awesome:
kylieeexo
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I was exactly the same. I use to try cover them so much but one say refused to take my jumper off for pe and the deputy head got involved and they rang me parents up.. Everyone started giving me funny looks and bullying me for it.. But in the end I just got use to them. Had them for 3-4 years now and some have gone.. Others are still there but to be honest.. I don't even realise they're there anymore. I do get them moments where I get upset about them but its rare now! Whatever you do.. Don't. Pick. Them! But I use to put makeup over mine. It worked a little and made it look a tad better! Never tried the things other people are recommending though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cake Faced Kid.
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Vichy Dermablend makeup is passable, Mederma scar gel can apparently fade scars noticeably in 2 weeks, although I used it for more than that and didn't see any difference. I agree with above posters though, you're going to have to embrace it someday.
Shaliina
Rep:
I went out with 3 quarter length sleeves so the ones on my wrist which are less noticeable were on show, but even then I felt really uncomfortable and I had some make up over them.

I've been told that I'm always hiding my arms even when I have long sleeves on, going out with them on show would make me so self conscious, I always end up crying when someone says something about them I don't even mean saying something horrible either :/.
Fabz_x
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Try bio oil
Kindred
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Shaliina)
I've been using coco butter for a few months now and it hasn't made a difference they're still as red as before. Do you know of any shops that sell waterproof foundation? and thank you I will

Mine are really big, there wide and bright red and it's really deep :/, it's not my family I'm hiding it from, while I'm in Spain I'll be working with children and the scars might affect this. But mainly it makes me really self conscious and I just can't bear the thought of having people see it. Darker scars seem much easier to cover up compared to bright red ones.
I would expect anywhere like boots to sell it.
Longer term its obviously good to come to terms with it and learn to get on despite it, but I can understand why you really don't want it seen in Spain (if noticed though you can just say you fell into a spiky bush when you were younger and it scared).
If things like coca butter and bio oil haven't helped to reduce them you're pretty much stuck with making it for the time being. I don't have any idea if this would actually work but fake tan? It may help by darkening the rest of your skin and making the dark scars less obvious.
If you combine reduction (makeup) with distraction (feature bracelets etc) people should hardly notice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
pinkglitterx
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
if make up and bracelets are not enough to make you feel less self conscious, what about those things you slide over your hand and wrist when you sprain it? Then if anyone asks you can say you just have a sprained wrist!

I really think that make up would be fine though and vichy dermablend is meant to be good or try estee lauders max cover foundation maybe? spraying some Sally Hansen airbrush legs over your skin (works for all skin tones from fair skin to dark) and build up coverage over any areas with scars?
and long term, massage bio oil into scars and its a long process but it will help fade the marks after a few months.

I hope you find something that works for you and that you have a lovely time in spain

http://www.boots.com/en/Estee-Lauder...5-30ml_948296/

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...=-64#container

http://www.boots.com/en/Sally-Hansen...-Glow_1039796/
Shaliina
Rep:
(Original post by Kindred)
I would expect anywhere like boots to sell it.
Longer term its obviously good to come to terms with it and learn to get on despite it, but I can understand why you really don't want it seen in Spain (if noticed though you can just say you fell into a spiky bush when you were younger and it scared).
If things like coca butter and bio oil haven't helped to reduce them you're pretty much stuck with making it for the time being. I don't have any idea if this would actually work but fake tan? It may help by darkening the rest of your skin and making the dark scars less obvious.
If you combine reduction (makeup) with distraction (feature bracelets etc) people should hardly notice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My scars are so obvious they are self harm, it wouldn't pass off as anything else, the deep ones anyway :/ you can tel from the shape, colour and the facts there's more than one deep one, it looks too new as well.

Yeah I might have to try the tanning, it'll cover up the dark ones. Yeah I've bought bracelets so I'll just make them a distraction
moalem.abassi
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Bio Oil
Shaliina
Rep:
(Original post by pinkglitterx)
if make up and bracelets are not enough to make you feel less self conscious, what about those things you slide over your hand and wrist when you sprain it? Then if anyone asks you can say you just have a sprained wrist!

I really think that make up would be fine though and vichy dermablend is meant to be good or try estee lauders max cover foundation maybe? spraying some Sally Hansen airbrush legs over your skin (works for all skin tones from fair skin to dark) and build up coverage over any areas with scars?
and long term, massage bio oil into scars and its a long process but it will help fade the marks after a few months.

I hope you find something that works for you and that you have a lovely time in spain

http://www.boots.com/en/Estee-Lauder...5-30ml_948296/

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...=-64#container

http://www.boots.com/en/Sally-Hansen...-Glow_1039796/
The only problem with that is, I can't wear it for 3 months because a sprained wrist wouldn't last that long, and I'd end up with a weird tan on my arm LOL

Yeah I might have to try one of those make ups, hopefully it'll work. Yeah maybe the tanning stuff could help also but I might end up orange though.

Does bio oil actually wok its basically just baby oil with a different name

And aww thank you, I will
Harri2648
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm going to Spain in less than two weeks and I have two really large bright red scars on my arm which are very noticeable. I can't wear long sleeves because it'll be hot over there and I'll be going swimming. I don't think I could get away with wearing a bandage every day for 3 months either. Anyone know a way I'll be able to hide it
Well im assuming from this your going for 3 months! Lucky! Im going for a week soon! Anyway back on topic! I have self harm cuts that show! But i covered mine up with braceletes and make-up! People have never noticed mine! The ones on my legs are quite dark but i cover those with make-up to! If your going swimming just put some water-proof foundation/make-up on them and be quick to get in the pool! Once in there you'll forget about them and people cant really notice! I do lifesaving every single Friday and i use normal make-up to cover it up not waterproof one and noone notices mine! Their old and have been there for a long time so they dont really bother me anymore! Plus if your going to Spain for 3 months then your likely to get a really good, dark tan! Then they'll be barely noticable! Good Luck and have fun in Spain!
helpingothers
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
compression bandages, get a skin-coloured one, my excuse is
helpingothers
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I use a Compression Bandage - you just slip it on your arm, and it covers the whole scarred area. Get a skin-coloured one, as to not draw so much attention, and the excuse "I hurt it in sport the other day" works best. you can say you slightly tore it.

I hope things get better for you, and have a good holiday
xx
YelsmlawNaget
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I sometimes use fake tan? It works ok, but for scars, but don't put a lot on, or it'll look too un natraul (<<<I don't know how to spell that)
Inazuma
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
My scars are so obvious they are self harm, it wouldn't pass off as anything else, the deep ones anyway :/ you can tel from the shape, colour and the facts there's more than one deep one, it looks too new as well.

Yeah I might have to try the tanning, it'll cover up the dark ones. Yeah I've bought bracelets so I'll just make them a distraction
Tanning will make lighter ones stand out more beware!
And yes bio oil is meant to be good!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (149)
41.85%
Not yet, but I will soon (65)
18.26%
No (142)
39.89%

Watched Threads