The Student Room Group

Why multiculturalism is causing conflict.

Conflict derives from having separated societies, the closer the proximity of said societies the more likely violence is. If you have them running parallel to one another within a country it's asking for violence, which is pretty much what multiculturalism means.

Back when immigration was just among European countries the big word was integration, even with communist countries like China etc. the word was still integration. But as soon as the borders opened to Islamic theocracies the word multiculturalism came into play, because these people were never going to integrate. You could argue their non-integration was because there weren't proper measures put into place to deal with the large numbers, rather than saying it was a complete unwillingness on their part if you like..... it seems a mute point.

We have Sharia courts in the UK, separate banking systems, benefits changes with polygamy in mind etc. etc.

No other group has ever done such a thing after immigrating, how dare they! how dare our government!

Imagine you immigrated to another country, say Saudi Arabia, I would like to think you would do your utmost to adopt their culture and obey their laws (if not just because your life depends on it). You wouldn't go there and say "yeah, your country needs to change to fit my wants"....... "it needs to be more Christian orientated in some aspects". It would be insulting to your hosts, giving special treatment to any religious group is unfair let alone second generation immigrants.

There is a rise in right wing groups in every country Muslims immigrate too like (but not limited to) the EDL, the Golden Dawn, The 969 Buddhists!!! (They are so intolerant of their hosts culture that they even cause a right wing break away sect in Buddhism).
These far right groups are a response, these people live on the front line of a multicultural society and the government whitewashes their grievances while pandering to the ideology of immigrants. There are no-go areas/immigrant ghettos popping up all over Europe were non-Muslims dare not live.
Muslim pedophile gangs that target non-Muslims girls are almost a bimonthly event now in the UK, every other week there is news of a foiled terrorist attack by Muslims in Europe with annual successes, riots in Stockholm etc.etc.

Our government is failing them and us, Multiculturalism breeds violence and this has to stop.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JohnCrichton89
Conflict derives from having separated societies, the closer the proximity of said societies the more likely violence is. If you have them running parallel to one another within a country it's asking for violence, which is pretty much what multiculturalism means.

Back when immigration was just among European countries the big word was integration, even with communist countries like China etc. the word was still integration. But as soon as the borders opened to Islamic theocracies the word multiculturalism came into play, because these people were never going to integrate. You could argue their non-integration was because there weren't proper measures put into place to deal with the large numbers, rather than saying it was a complete unwillingness on their part if you like..... it seems a mute point.

We have Sharia courts in the UK, separate banking systems, benefits changes with polygamy in mind etc. etc.

No other group has ever done such a thing after immigrating, how dare they! how dare our government!

Imagine you immigrated to another country, say Saudi Arabia, I would like to think you would do your utmost to adopt their culture and obey their laws (if not just because your life depends on it). You wouldn't go there and say "yeah, your country needs to change to fit my wants"....... "it needs to be more Christian orientated in some aspects". It would be insulting to your hosts, giving special treatment to any religious group is unfair let alone second generation immigrants.

There is a rise in right wing groups in every country Muslims immigrate too like (but not limited to) the EDL, the Golden Dawn, The 969 Buddhists!!! (They are so intolerant of their hosts culture that they even cause a right wing break away sect in Buddhism).
These far right groups are a response, these people live on the front line of a multicultural society and the government whitewashes their grievances while pandering to the ideology of immigrants. There are no-go areas/immigrant ghettos popping up all over Europe were non-Muslims dare not live.
Muslim pedophile gangs that target non-Muslims girls are almost a bimonthly event now in the UK, every other week there is news of a foiled terrorist attack by Muslims in Europe with annual successes, riots in Stockholm etc.etc.

Our government is failing them and us, Multiculturalism breeds violence and this has to stop.

..And Immediately your stance is shown, as connoted with the language use, ooh-ahh, English Literature has become useful...

Digressing to the point, this is a lopsided argument. Multiculturalism, whilst it can breed violence, poses an array of benefits. What's more, many of the people here under the premise of multiculturalism aided this very country in the post war years GREATLY. Stemming from this, multiculturalism itself, albeit with a few flaws, worked well in the 1960s and continues to do so. I have friends of all races, backgrounds, creeds and the school I attend is diverse. Society itself only works with such a feat as an inherent component; doctors, nurses, engineers, you name it, an academic pursuit you can think of, will most likely be pursued by the minority(yes, they are the minority) in the majority. Thus, they(those who partake in said 'multiculturalism') form a great and inherent aspect of our economy. THE VERY REASON WHY WE HAVE MULTICULTURALISM IS THIS COUNTRY WOULD HAVE SEIZED TO BE PROSPEROUS IN ANY MANNER WITHOUT THE INFLUX OF IMMIGRANTS TO FILL LABOUR SHORTAGES AND FIX THE ECONOMY.(Soz 4 caps, cba re-typing) So, you're arguing what, we send home, what? 2nd, 3rd generations of people from other cultures? People who had forefathers building the very foundations of society we live? Bull****, I say. And to that, I also say that your use of the minority of a sect's wrong doing to be a claim which is biased and untrue as a majority.

On top of this, the very reason some of those people are here are due to the exact and opposite reason today. The British Empire. Do you know how Kenyan Asians arrived in the country? Upon the abolishing of slavery, Indian migrants were moved to parts of Africa by British Companies for work, under schemes no better than slavery! Fast forward 100 years, these people are persecuted in the very areas the British have left them, and as a consequence, in the late 1960s, Kenyan Asians were forced out, so to speak, to England, and Ugandan Asians were simply expelled (50,000 of them) in 1972 by Idi Amin. Now, you're wondering why I'm including this. No?

(Well, I have a History exam tomorrow, but more to the point, it serves a purpose)

It shows that British influence in History had a great affect on countries as part of its Empire, some of which are resonated with your claims of injustice, but regardless of this fact - many immigrants came to Britain, stayed, and lived in peace with others but were attacked despite of all they offered to the country. This is mirrored through any text books on GCSE History you read.

Blah, I can't be bothered arguing for a lost cause, but will simply leave you with the advice to look at the bigger picture. Are we in the west not pillaging and bring the destruction we feel here, UPON MILLIONS abroad? In wars, WE shouldn't even be in?

IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN? The Iraqi deathtoll is in its millions, and yet you sit here and argue that the MINORITY of Muslims is doing the same sort of problem to us? Bull****, again. The majority live in peace, and it is only the minority which the media continues to defame and so, we believe it.

It's people like you, and any idiot with half their sense submerged in a profound sense of omniscient fueled ignorance who perpetuate a problem, creating it to prolong...

Consider both sides, history, why? and then re-evaluate.

And what do you suggest we do?

David Cameron himself said that multiculturalism has failed, and i've not seen much recently, from the current government, which promotes multiculturalism. Am I missing something? Since Cameron said this, I got the impression that multiculturalism HAS 'stopped':

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12371994

As much as you may dislike it, most countries in the world will one day be multicultural. Take into account how easy it is to move around. It's rather inevitable, unless you pull a North Korea and lock all your citizens up so nobody can enter/leave.
You;
..And Immediately your stance is shown, as connoted with the language use, ooh-ahh, English Literature has become useful...

JC;
You wish to start of by stereotyping me, OK?

You;
Digressing to the point, this is a lopsided argument. Multiculturalism, whilst it can breed violence, poses an array of benefits. What's more, many of the people here under the premise of multiculturalism aided this very country in the post war years GREATLY.Stemming from this, multiculturalism itself, albeit with a few flaws, worked well in the 1960s and continues to do so.

JC;
Of course there has been immigration before and it has brought with it allot of benefits, but you have really misconstrued and misrepresented my point. What you speak about is nothing on the scale of what we have today, hence people could integrate back then. You are comparing the net immigration without any numbers and saying they are the same, that is at best completely dishonest. You are right in saying multiculturalism stemmed from immigration, but from mass immigration were integration was not fee-sable.

You;
I have friends of all races, backgrounds, creeds and the school I attend is diverse.

JC;
OK

You;
Society itself only works with such a feat as an inherent component; doctors, nurses, engineers, you name it, an academic pursuit you can think of, will most likely be pursued by the minority(yes, they are the minority) in the majority. Thus, they(those who partake in said 'multiculturalism') form a great and inherent aspect of our economy.

JC;
No, you are stereotyping all immigrants and saying what? That most of them are Doctors......errmm?! Have you got any numbers to back this up?

You;
THE VERY REASON WHY WE HAVE MULTICULTURALISM IS THIS COUNTRY WOULD HAVE SEIZED TO BE PROSPEROUS IN ANY MANNER WITHOUT THE INFLUX OF IMMIGRANTS TO FILL LABOUR SHORTAGES AND FIX THE ECONOMY.(Soz 4 caps, cba re-typing) So, you're arguing what, we send home, what? 2nd, 3rd generations of people from other cultures? People who had forefathers building the very foundations of society we live? Bull****, I say. And to that, I also say that your use of the minority of a sect's wrong doing to be a claim which is biased and untrue as a majority.

JC;
So their forefathers built our society 3 generations ago? and no I never suggested we do anything other than talk about the topic of mass immigration without integration.

You;
On top of this, the very reason some of those people are here are due to the exact and opposite reason today. The British Empire. Do you know how Kenyan Asians arrived in the country? Upon the abolishing of slavery, Indian migrants were moved to parts of Africa by British Companies for work, under schemes no better than slavery! Fast forward 100 years, these people are persecuted in the very areas the British have left them, and as a consequence, in the late 1960s, Kenyan Asians were forced out, so to speak, to England, and Ugandan Asians were simply expelled (50,000 of them) in 1972 by Idi Amin. Now, you're wondering why I'm including this. No?

JC;
Britain took in 30,000 of these immigrants, which was 6 weeks immigration by the 1990's. The numbers between then and now........look them up.

You;
(Well, I have a History exam tomorrow, but more to the point, it serves a purpose)

It shows that British influence in History had a great affect on countries as part of its Empire, some of which are resonated with your claims of injustice, but regardless of this fact - many immigrants came to Britain, stayed, and lived in peace with others but were attacked despite of all they offered to the country. This is mirrored through any text books on GCSE History you read.

JC;
OK

You;
Blah, I can't be bothered arguing for a lost cause, but will simply leave you with the advice to look at the bigger picture. Are we in the west not pillaging and bring the destruction we feel here, UPON MILLIONS abroad? In wars, WE shouldn't even be in?

JC;
Examples?

IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN? The Iraqi deathtoll is in its millions, and yet you sit here and argue that the MINORITY of Muslims is doing the same sort of problem to us? Bull****, again. The majority live in peace, and it is only the minority which the media continues to defame and so, we believe it.

JC;
Iraqis are generally killed by other Iraqis my friend, the British and American forces were asked to intervene after the Northern Alliance over threw the Dictator and wanted to hold elections, DEMOCRATIC ELECTIONS. Contrary to what you may know the western forces try to limit the civilians killed unlike the people who would fight them.
The Northern Alliance were afraid they would be unable to hold elections because the "minority" of peace loving Muslims were trying to impose a barbaric interpretation of Sharia. And where are the majority of Muslims against violent Jihad protests, I quite often see the "you don't have the right to free speech" protests.

It's people like you, and any idiot with half their sense submerged in a profound sense of omniscient fueled ignorance who perpetuate a problem, creating it to prolong...

JC;
Really I thought it was the special concessions being made to a religious group which has bloody borders all over the world that was the problem, and, people like you who see a Jihadists say "I love death more than you love life" then commit suicide and whitewash it as propaganda. A small percentage of 1.6 billion people are suicidal mass murders, that could be allot of mass murders.

JC;
I would encourage you to take a walk around certain no go areas at night exercising you right to do things Muslims otherwise wouldn't do and see the problem for yourself.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
You;

JC;
You wish to start of by stereotyping me, OK?

You;
Digressing to the point, this is a lopsided argument. Multiculturalism, whilst it can breed violence, poses an array of benefits. What's more, many of the people here under the premise of multiculturalism aided this very country in the post war years GREATLY.Stemming from this, multiculturalism itself, albeit with a few flaws, worked well in the 1960s and continues to do so.

JC;
Of course there has been immigration before and it has brought with it allot of benefits, but you have really misconstrued and misrepresented my point. What you speak about is nothing on the scale of what we have today, hence people could integrate back then. You are comparing the net immigration without any numbers and saying they are the same, that is at best completely dishonest. You are right in saying multiculturalism stemmed from immigration, but from mass immigration were integration was not fee-sable.

You;
I have friends of all races, backgrounds, creeds and the school I attend is diverse.

JC;
OK

You;
Society itself only works with such a feat as an inherent component; doctors, nurses, engineers, you name it, an academic pursuit you can think of, will most likely be pursued by the minority(yes, they are the minority) in the majority. Thus, they(those who partake in said 'multiculturalism') form a great and inherent aspect of our economy.

JC;
No, you are stereotyping all immigrants and saying what? That most of them are Doctors......errmm?! Have you got any numbers to back this up?

You;
THE VERY REASON WHY WE HAVE MULTICULTURALISM IS THIS COUNTRY WOULD HAVE SEIZED TO BE PROSPEROUS IN ANY MANNER WITHOUT THE INFLUX OF IMMIGRANTS TO FILL LABOUR SHORTAGES AND FIX THE ECONOMY.(Soz 4 caps, cba re-typing) So, you're arguing what, we send home, what? 2nd, 3rd generations of people from other cultures? People who had forefathers building the very foundations of society we live? Bull****, I say. And to that, I also say that your use of the minority of a sect's wrong doing to be a claim which is biased and untrue as a majority.

JC;
So their forefathers built our society 3 generations ago? and no I never suggested we do anything other than talk about the topic of mass immigration without integration.

You;

JC;
Britain took in 30,000 of these immigrants, which was 6 weeks immigration by the 1990's. The numbers between then and now........look them up.

You;

JC;
OK

You;

JC;
Examples?

JC;
Iraqis are generally killed by other Iraqis my friend, the Britsh and American forces were asked to intervene after the Northern Alliance over throw the Dictator and wanted to hold elections, DEMOCRATIC ELECTIONS. Contrary to what you may know the western forces try to limit the civilians caught killed unlike the people who would fight them.
The Northern Alliance were afraid they would be unable to hold elections because the "minority" of peace loving Muslims were trying to impose a barbaric interpretation of Sharia. And where are the majority of Muslims against violent Jihad protests, I quite often see the "you don't have the right to free speech" protests.

JC;
Really I thought it was the special concessions being made to a religious group which has bloody borders all over the world that was the problem, and, people like you who see a Jihadists say "I love death more than you love life" then commit suicide and whitewash it as propaganda. A small percentage of 1.6 billion people are suicidal mass murders, that could be allot of mass murders.

JC;
I would encourage you to take a walk around certain no go areas at night exercising you right to do things Muslims otherwise wouldn't do and see the problem for yourself.

Where is your evidence that most Iraqis are being killed by other Iraqis? The fact remains there were no bombs going off in Iraq before the war, also the US is the patron of Saddams (even Thatcher famously said, "Saddam, a true ally of the west") and fought to keep him in power after the first gulf war. Not only that, 75% of all of Iraqs oil has been pillaged by the west!
Too much reading to do here for me to get interested *yawns*
Original post by SHallowvale
And what do you suggest we do?

David Cameron himself said that multiculturalism has failed, and i've not seen much recently, from the current government, which promotes multiculturalism. Am I missing something? Since Cameron said this, I got the impression that multiculturalism HAS 'stopped':

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12371994

As much as you may dislike it, most countries in the world will one day be multicultural. Take into account how easy it is to move around. It's rather inevitable, unless you pull a North Korea and lock all your citizens up so nobody can enter/leave.

Well, if we stop immigration to a net crawl perhaps the cultures within our society will eventually merge. lets be honest we are talking about integrating the Muslims we already have. There is always going to be a small minority of fundamentalists in every group of theists, Islamist fundamentalists are trying to mass murder as many non-Muslims as possible.

Unless you are suggesting we just get used to the small minority of a certain group trying to kill everyone else, the first thing is we get everyone to agree there is a problem and this is it. The guy above you is a prime example, it's OUR fault these people are trying to kill type of mentality has to go.
In other words, you want us to remove people of other cultures from this society? Are you solving a problem or making it worse?
Original post by SexyNerd
Where is your evidence that most Iraqis are being killed by other Iraqis? The fact remains there were no bombs going off in Iraq before the war, also the US is the patron of Saddams (even Thatcher famously said, "Saddam, a true ally of the west") and fought to keep him in power after the first gulf war. Not only that, 75% of all of Iraqs oil has been pillaged by the west!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/23/world/middleeast/23casualties.html?_r=0

There were also no elections, they over threw the dictatorship that was murdering people on mass. There were plenty of bombs going off before the war, hell aside from killing tens of thousands of Kurds he also attacked Iran. And as for Thatcher's political motivations, well, I could speculate but I don't know.
Original post by James A
In other words, you want us to remove people of other cultures from this society? Are you solving a problem or making it worse?

No, I would like it if we integrated. But I am not proposing a solution, just that we recognize there is a problem.
Reply 10
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/23/world/middleeast/23casualties.html?_r=0

There were also no elections, they over threw the dictatorship that was murdering people on mass. There were plenty of bombs going off before the war, hell aside from killing tens of thousands of Kurds he also attacked Iran. And as for Thatcher's political motivations, well, I could speculate but I don't know.

Piss off you idiot
Original post by mangamaan
Piss off you idiot

Did you even read the article? I am not a fan of the NY Times either but it has all of the relevant documents cited, so I don't understand why you disagree with such contempt.

The article itself points out possible reasons to dispute the claim, but , it can only speculate.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
No, I would like it if we integrated. But I am not proposing a solution, just that we recognize there is a problem.

I think people have already realised there is a problem with integration. So I ask you this... What is the purpose of this thread?
Reply 13

That is one report, most state the contrary to yours and heres another report that contradicts yours. http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jan/03/iraq-body-count-report-data

There were also no elections, they over threw the dictatorship that was murdering people on mass.

Like I mentioned, the US was Saddam's patron.

There were plenty of bombs going off before the war,

Really, name me some of bombs going off before the NATO invasion, if there was plenty, surely that'll be easy.

hell aside from killing tens of thousands of Kurds he also attacked Iran

yes, as I mentioned before, the US was his patron, as well as Britain.

Some information about the Thatcher government's duplicitous record in selling to Iraq emerged in the mammoth Scott inquiry of 1996. The judge found that although Conservative ministers had restricted major "sharp" arms sales to President Saddam, they had also connived at ways round Britain's supposed neutrality.

During Baghdad's prolonged and bloody invasion of Iran in the 1980s, the inquiry discovered, officials shredded documents after deliberately smuggling Chieftain tank hulls made by the then royal ordnance factories to Iraq via Jordan."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/feb/28/iraq.politics1

"Even After the Gulf War, the U.S. helped Saddam Hussein stay in power."

http://www.representativepress.org/evenafter.html

So that blood is on your hands too, not only did you fight to keep him in power, you funded him as well as supplied him with arms which allowed him to murder.

And as for Thatcher's political motivations, well, I could speculate but I don't know.

clearly you don't (know about Iraq in general) but you felt the need to try a discuss the topic. Once the mouth was been opened, it removed all doubt.
(edited 10 years ago)
it only benefits the minority from where I stand.
Original post by MisterOrange

Digressing to the point, this is a lopsided argument. Multiculturalism, whilst it can breed violence, poses an array of benefits. What's more, many of the people here under the premise of multiculturalism aided this very country in the post war years GREATLY. Stemming from this, multiculturalism itself, albeit with a few flaws, worked well in the 1960s and continues to do so. I have friends of all races, backgrounds, creeds and the school I attend is diverse. Society itself only works with such a feat as an inherent component; doctors, nurses, engineers, you name it, an academic pursuit you can think of, will most likely be pursued by the minority(yes, they are the minority) in the majority. Thus, they(those who partake in said 'multiculturalism') form a great and inherent aspect of our economy. THE VERY REASON WHY WE HAVE MULTICULTURALISM IS THIS COUNTRY WOULD HAVE SEIZED TO BE PROSPEROUS IN ANY MANNER WITHOUT THE INFLUX OF IMMIGRANTS TO FILL LABOUR SHORTAGES AND FIX THE ECONOMY.(Soz 4 caps, cba re-typing) So, you're arguing what, we send home, what? 2nd, 3rd generations of people from other cultures? People who had forefathers building the very foundations of society we live? Bull****, I say. And to that, I also say that your use of the minority of a sect's wrong doing to be a claim which is biased and untrue as a majority.

Nice of you to go off topic into a rant, then claim a point which puts the majority in a position of wrong doer, and the minority in the position of victim. Which dually receives thumbs up. Fashionable opinion eh?
(edited 10 years ago)

Everything you've said is contrary to popular opinion on race. So don't expect anybody to agree with you. By 'their' standards it is not 'correct' enough. Since racism, discrimination, Political correct attitudes are continually measured to minority offence.
Most of the conflict multiculturalism causes is on the internet.

Lots of cities in the UK are multicultural and you hardly ever hear of race based conflict. Yes you get the odd march here and there from the EDL and their counter marches but it has not even scratching the surface in terms of ethnic groups coming in to conflict with each other.

Ever since Enoch Powell and his rivers of blood speech the far right has been predicting race war, TSR is always full of predictions that there's going to be a 'race war in Europe'. What they really mean is the far right groups want a race war but they have only minority support in the white community, most white people are pretty chilled out about multiculturalism and don't care about the colour of someone else's skin. Hence why the far right always bemoan the fact "we're not allowed to talk about race because we'll get called racists", they are a minority in their own community just like the Islamic fundamentalists only have minority support in their community.

Multiculturalism does cause a lot of arguments on the internet between far right whites and other whites, with one group shouting "leftists" and the other group shouting "racists" but this is not rivers of blood in the street between whites and non whites....
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Most of the conflict multiculturalism causes is on the internet.

Lots of cities in the UK are multicultural and you hardly ever hear of race based conflict. Yes you get the odd march here and there from the EDL and their counter marches but it has not even scratching the surface in terms of ethnic groups coming in to conflict with each other.

Ever since Enoch Powell and his rivers of blood speech the far right has been predicting race war, TSR is always full of predictions that there's going to be a 'race war in Europe'. What they really mean is the far right groups want a race war but they have only minority support in the white community, most white people are pretty chilled out about multiculturalism and don't care about the colour of someone else's skin. Hence why the far right always bemoan the fact "we're not allowed to talk about race because we'll get called racists", they are a minority in their own community just like the Islamic fundamentalists only have minority support in their community.

Multiculturalism does cause a lot of arguments on the internet betwee far right whites and other whites, with one group shouting "leftists" and the other group shouting "racists" but this is not rivers of blood in the street between whites and non whites....

Andrea Merkel. Multiculturalism has failed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11559451

David Starkey on last years riots. (Notice that they didn't happen in less diverse area's such as the North of England, Wales and Scotland)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh7macVIxeM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p53VvsAitic

There's been an awful lot of race riots in the UK in the past 60 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Notting_Hill_race_riots
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Toxteth_riots
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handsworth_riots
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_UK_riots

You seem to have forgotten, that Enoch Powell, didn't stir this up. He merely predicited it.
The riots in 2011 were looting because people saw the chance to get free stuff from shops. They weren't protests against multiculturalism.

Trying to claim that those chavs organising shop raids on facebook were doing it out of concerns about multiculturalism is scraping the barrel if you're trying to find evidence that multiculturalism is causing conflict.

There are more student riots than there are race riots so maybe its tuition fees that are going to cause rivers of blood on the streets faster than multiculturalism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending