LauraDaniel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Could anyone tell me how they found the jump from AS to A2 OCR Biology? I didn't do too amazingly at AS and have decided to resit, but now I'm worried that I'll find A2 ridiculously difficult!
flowerscat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Laura,

My personal experience is that OCR Biology syllabus is especially difficult among all the exam boards. Unit 4 is all about homoestasis - nervous system, hormones,pH, temperature, liver, kidneys, etc. Unit 5 is especially vast, and often teachers have a hard time finishing it in school. It covers genetics, gene technology, functions of the brain and behaviour and ecology.

I am not trying to put you off taking Biology - OCR Biology is really interesting - but at A2 you need to prepare as much in advance as possible, and especially take the initiative to start revising sections of unit 5, like ecology, on you own without waiting for school to start it. Only then will you have the time to practice past questions for unit 5 before the exams.

Also make sure you are using the official OCR text book, so you can stick to what is needed for your syllabus.
LauraDaniel
Rep:
?
(Original post by flowerscat)
Hi Laura,

My personal experience is that OCR Biology syllabus is especially difficult among all the exam boards. Unit 4 is all about homoestasis - nervous system, hormones,pH, temperature, liver, kidneys, etc. Unit 5 is especially vast, and often teachers have a hard time finishing it in school. It covers genetics, gene technology, functions of the brain and behaviour and ecology.

I am not trying to put you off taking Biology - OCR Biology is really interesting - but at A2 you need to prepare as much in advance as possible, and especially take the initiative to start revising sections of unit 5, like ecology, on you own without waiting for school to start it. Only then will you have the time to practice past questions for unit 5 before the exams.

Also make sure you are using the official OCR text book, so you can stick to what is needed for your syllabus.
Thanks a lot for your advice! I focused a lot on the syllabus of AS this year but didn't crack the exam technique, which is why I've chosen to resit. I'll definitely be doing some independent revision over the Summer, I can't afford to get behind!

Posted from TSR Mobile
flowerscat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi

Re. exam technique, I would suggest printing out and reading and re-reading mark schemes, and making flashcards for standard questions that come up in the exams - unfortunately our exams are all about using the right keywords, so spending time just reading the mark scheme (do it a couple of weeks before the exams, so you have enough time to absorb it all) should help with your grades, especially if you are already familiar with the syllabus.

(Original post by LauraDaniel)
Thanks a lot for your advice! I focused a lot on the syllabus of AS this year but didn't crack the exam technique, which is why I've chosen to resit. I'll definitely be doing some independent revision over the Summer, I can't afford to get behind!

Posted from TSR Mobile
LauraDaniel
Rep:
?
(Original post by flowerscat)
Hi

Re. exam technique, I would suggest printing out and reading and re-reading mark schemes, and making flashcards for standard questions that come up in the exams - unfortunately our exams are all about using the right keywords, so spending time just reading the mark scheme (do it a couple of weeks before the exams, so you have enough time to absorb it all) should help with your grades, especially if you are already familiar with the syllabus.
Thanks! I hate how specific this exam board is sometimes. -_- I'll make sure to grab some past mark schemes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
JRHW
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The thing with the A2 content is there is a lot of detail you need to learn. What I wish I'd done is constantly review my notes etc throughout the year, as you really can't afford to leave it until the end!
LauraDaniel
Rep:
?
(Original post by JRHW)
The thing with the A2 content is there is a lot of detail you need to learn. What I wish I'd done is constantly review my notes etc throughout the year, as you really can't afford to leave it until the end!
Thanks a lot for the advice! I think I'll definitely be reviewing notes weekly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ChelsieJayne
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, everyone! i am soooo worried about A2. We have only just finished our AS exams and now their making us start the A2 coursework with no preparation what so ever. its a qualitative on the kidney apparently... what do i need to know?
Jeninah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ChelsieJayne)
Hi, everyone! i am soooo worried about A2. We have only just finished our AS exams and now their making us start the A2 coursework with no preparation what so ever. its a qualitative on the kidney apparently... what do i need to know?

Hey I'm going to have mine soon, do you remember the kind of questions they asked you my teachers sucks and is not preparing us for it thanks much appreciation
ChelsieJayne
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can't remember any questions but there is slot of drawing

Posted from TSR Mobile
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey,

I'm taking A2 Bio, chem and maths... and the jump from AS bio to A2 bio is definitely the biggest!!!

But on another note, I still don't think resitting the AS exams is a bad choice, because A2 bio is synoptic :P so either ways you'll have to reference back to AS talk to your teachers, they'd have much more experience on dealing with these kind of things :P

Gooooood luck :'3
QuantumSuicide
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OCR A2 biology is ridiculous. The sheer volume of work you have to get through is frightening. There's soo much content and you're expected to know every little detail when the mark shemes are pedantic as they are. It's going to be even harder without January exams. Bio is also really time consuming. -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This thread has made me want to drop Biology at A2 and pick my further maths a level again :mmm:
knope
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
This thread has made me want to drop Biology at A2 and pick my further maths a level again :mmm:
Personally I'm finding A2 bio so much more interesting than the AS stuff, though. I'm really glad I didn't drop it. Don't be disheartened by the supposed jump.
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by knope)
Personally I'm finding A2 bio so much more interesting than the AS stuff, though. I'm really glad I didn't drop it. Don't be disheartened by the supposed jump.
I'm in AS now.

Biology is quite boring with just loads of facts. I enjoy the biochemistry side of things, but there's nothing in-depth and it's boring me.

If it is sheer volume again, I'd rather do further maths in lessons. I want to do a chem degree and go into pharmaceuticals perhaps which is why I don't know whether I should drop bio next year.
knope
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in AS now.

Biology is quite boring with just loads of facts. I enjoy the biochemistry side of things, but there's nothing in-depth and it's boring me.

If it is sheer volume again, I'd rather do further maths in lessons. I want to do a chem degree and go into pharmaceuticals perhaps which is why I don't know whether I should drop bio next year.
Biochemistry is my favourite part, too, and I also want to do a chem degree. You do respiration & photosynthesis in a fair bit of detail (biochemistry-wise) at A2 and there's less memorisation of useless one-off topics like food preservation.

I would have agreed with you last year, but A2 is more interesting because it's using the facts you learnt at AS and then applying them or going further, getting to the interesting stuff. Like with the cell structure topic at AS, you need to know that before you can do more biology at a cellular or molecular level. That's where the A2 comes in.
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by knope)
Biochemistry is my favourite part, too, and I also want to do a chem degree. You do respiration & photosynthesis in a fair bit of detail (biochemistry-wise) at A2 and there's less memorisation of useless one-off topics like food preservation.

I would have agreed with you last year, but A2 is more interesting because it's using the facts you learnt at AS and then applying them or going further, getting to the interesting stuff. Like with the cell structure topic at AS, you need to know that before you can do more biology at a cellular or molecular level. That's where the A2 comes in.
Well then I guess 'll keep it

But further maths I'll do half in school, half out.

Which A Levels do you do? And which unis have you applied to?
knope
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well then I guess 'll keep it

But further maths I'll do half in school, half out.

Which A Levels do you do? And which unis have you applied to?
Oh, yay. Enjoy! I'll feel bad now if you find it horribly boring.

Biology, chemistry and maths. I've applied to Durham, St Andrews, Edinburgh, York and Cardiff, all for MChem with a year in industry. Have you got any idea about where you'd like to apply?
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by knope)
Oh, yay. Enjoy! I'll feel bad now if you find it horribly boring.

Biology, chemistry and maths. I've applied to Durham, St Andrews, Edinburgh, York and Cardiff, all for MChem with a year in industry. Have you got any idea about where you'd like to apply?
:mmm:

I live in Cardiff so I don't want to apply here.

I wanted to apply to Cambridge for physical natsci. Then imperial, Durham, York and Edinburgh but :dontknow:

Want a year abroad!
knope
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
:mmm:

I live in Cardiff so I don't want to apply here.

I wanted to apply to Cambridge for physical natsci. Then imperial, Durham, York and Edinburgh but :dontknow:

Want a year abroad!
I feel the same way about all of the London unis. Which is unfortunate, given Imperial's location, but oh well! I was not risking living at home any longer.

Ooooh, nice. We have a fair bit of crossover there. Also, I'm impressed that you essentially have your 5 choices this early - this time two months ago I was still refining my list.

I was tempted to do a year abroad, and if I were doing any other subject I would do, but as I'm currently thinking to stay within chemistry after graduation I think the experience would be helpful. Depends what you're planning on doing, though, not to mention that there are always other ways of getting experience. Plus my language skills will pale in comparison to yours!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.85%
I'm not sure (32)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.81%

Watched Threads