This discussion is closed.
axekick
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Ive pretty much decided to go to salford uni because it seems like it has good teaching and course really appealed to me but ive heard loads of stuff like salford is a real ****hole but I went up there for the open day and it seemed fine, does it change at night or something cause people have called it muggersville saying it has a real crime problem, could someone who actually goes to the uni tell me what its really like,thanks alot!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Its fine honestly, the area has improved dramatically over the years. Also the student place (Castle Irewell) is secure and 1000 students can easily beat 10 scallies.

I don't know anybody who's been mugged in Salford, I wish I could say the same for Manchester although there is far more students in Manchester.

Also the University is in one of the better parts of Salford. Real Salford is Langworthy and maybe places such as Little Hulton which is 8 miles away from the uni.

The area is in no means the nicest part of Manchester but its certainly no gheto.
axekick
thats good to hear, two other questions...

what are the ladies like up there?
what are scallies?
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by axekick)

what are scallies?
Horrible people. This is the best explanation I've been able to find online:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/teens/lads/life...e/scally.shtml

also: http://www.scallycentral.com/
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I heared Salford's one of the easiest places in the country to pull but I have not seen any evidance of it.

The girls are actually quite nice looking and there are more females than males now (official university statistics 53% female, 47% male, 1% had that opp thingy)

Scallies are townies basicaly bored kids that dress in sports wear to make them look 'hard'.
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it's a bit rough mate......a lot of scallies on bikes there.....they'll spit and ask for ciggarettes,

my dad owns a block of flats which he rents out to the university for their students
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
it's a bit rough mate......a lot of scallies on bikes there.....they'll spit and ask for ciggarettes,

You get scallies asking for **** anywhere though that dosn't have a posh post code. I've walked through Salford in the dark and never had any problems. They are spending £100 million on the campus and a big part of that is goign on security.
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hehehe yes that's true -

but i remember, being in my dad's flats about 7/8 years ago and a few scallies climbed over the fence and tried to grab me and they threw stones at the windows of the flats and smashed them - i was pretty scared but that was a long time ago and i was young
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
hehehe yes that's true -

but i remember, being in my dad's flats about 7/8 years ago and a few scallies climbed over the fence and tried to grab me and they threw stones at the windows of the flats and smashed them - i was pretty scared but that was a long time ago and i was young
I am not sure what area the flats are but if they are near Salford Crescent then things have changed a lot. The police are a lot more active now.

This is an article about crime towards Salford Students.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/stud...125011,00.html
axekick
o ok so scallies is basically another words for chavs, thats alright getting in a fight with a chav is like kickin a baby
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So I am guesisng you are from the North East then?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (299)
34.17%
No (576)
65.83%

Watched Threads