The Student Room Group

Should I report my ''Friend'' to social services for child neglect?

I go to the gym like most other young lads, I met this other lad there, he told me he's 39, old enough to be my dad (I'm 21), I have seen him in the gym for the past 3 - 4 months and we have a little chat when were in there.

I walked out the gym yesterday, I seen him standing there with his 2 kids, he said if your not busy would you mind giving me an the kids to Blackpool (about 45 miles away), I'll pay the fare , I agreed, it was a nice day and so off we went despite barely even knowing him, let alone his kids.

As soon as we got there we parked the car and he walked on as fast as you like leaving behind his younger daughter aged approx 5, his older daughter kept up with him so I stayed behind walking alongside the smaller girl, he was so far ahead we nearly lost him, he was looking for a pub to have a pint, he got refused entry into the first 3 because he has kids, after we came out of the pub he raced on again to the bookies leaving me to mind the kids outside.

Then when he came out he said, shall we go home now and the kids got upset and said no so we went to the beach, he stormed ahead resulting in one of the girls nearly getting knocked down by a car. :nooo:

he told me on the seawall that he takes cocaine and wants to top himself, he asked me to lend him money but I said I got none (didn't want to lend him any) he was acting weird most of the day.

he said he depressed, he owes a couple thousand to people, he is depressed cos he his gf broke up with him and blah blah blah he only gets to see the kids 1 -2 days per week blah blah blah :blah:

It seemed to me that going on the day trip to Blackpool was for his own benefit going the pub and bookies but by going he could actually say '' I took kids to Blackpool'' but it all seemed to be about him and his day out.

He gave me £10 petrol on way home, only cos I pretened we couldn't get back without it - besides it have costed him a lot more going by train & bus.

I don't know whether to tell the girl's Mum or social services (sister in law training to be a social worker)

EDIT: Btw does anyone know what time ASDA closes today (Sunday) thank you
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
My closest asda closes at 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He sounds awful...

If you report him, you can guarantee that your friendship would be over. However, you hardly know this guy anyway so i think that you should!

Walking off, leaving the smaller one behind and willing to be under the influence of drugs around them is so wrong! His girlfriend leaving and money issues is no excuse for that behaviour. His kids should be put before all that. Needs his priorities sorted!

As to the random question at the end, the asda closest to me is open until 6pm but theres another a little further away thats open until 10pm. All of them are different. Look it up on the asda website.
Reply 3
You should report him you can problemly do this autonomously. You can tell why his girlfriend left him.
Im in same situation. I know someone who has a 1 year old he refuses his food and she has never tried him with food. She only gives him juice n milk. He is always ill and cries most of the day and night. Its heartbreaking and i dont know what to do.

Latest

Trending

Trending