The Student Room Group

Unit 4 tectonic hazards, impacts on different areas of development

Hey, so I've left this rather late but, relating Unit 4 pre-release, what are the IMPACTS that tectonic hazards have on different areas of development?
Help would be much appreciated, cheers
Reply 1
Original post by Dan Bell
Hey, so I've left this rather late but, relating Unit 4 pre-release, what are the IMPACTS that tectonic hazards have on different areas of development?
Help would be much appreciated, cheers

Hey man.

What case studies do you plan on using for this Unit?

Many people are going to use around seven or eight units - however my teacher at my sixth form usually marks these papers and has warned me and my class that you do NOT need to stress about tonnes of case studies. Just include two comparisons (that way the information is easier to remember) and throw in smaller, less detailed pick-pockets of information from smaller case studies wherever to back up your point. She said those type of structurally formed reports usually get the higher end marks.

The impacts would probably include the disasters impact on trade.
For example, in Haiti, Port-Au-Prince - the earthquake caused serious liquefaction along the docks and thus not only hindered sea-sent trade but also meant they couldn't export their primary goods which are the main source of income for less economically developed countries such as Haiti.

On the other hand for somewhere like Japan which is a more economically developed country, the effects are usually more monetised. But anyway, Japans a bit of an anomalie because of the scale of the hazard. For example the 2011 Earthquake/Tsunami, the impact was more heavily economic - costing approximately 250million yet ($309 billion/£189 billion), but thousands of people still died and looooooads were re-homed/re-located/made homeless. (Not very accurate there lol.) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12828181

hoping that's what you meant. :biggrin:
Reply 2
Ahhh ok! Bro you've literally saved my ass haha! Cheers for that, i'll take note! Case Studies i'm doing are Haiti, Loma Prieta, Mt Pinautbo, Montserrat, St Helens, Sichuan, and Turkey haha! I haven't got much info about them, but Oh Well.
Reply 3
Original post by Dan Bell
Ahhh ok! Bro you've literally saved my ass haha! Cheers for that, i'll take note! Case Studies i'm doing are Haiti, Loma Prieta, Mt Pinautbo, Montserrat, St Helens, Sichuan, and Turkey haha! I haven't got much info about them, but Oh Well.

Good case studies! And man you don't need too much, just the economic stuff.
Since the pre-release wants you to...
"Research the different impacts that tectonic hazards have on areas at different levels
of development."

It's everyones bet you'll only need the human side and NOT too much of the geographical side like plate margins and stuff. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Grenglish
Hey man.

What case studies do you plan on using for this Unit?

Many people are going to use around seven or eight units - however my teacher at my sixth form usually marks these papers and has warned me and my class that you do NOT need to stress about tonnes of case studies. Just include two comparisons (that way the information is easier to remember) and throw in smaller, less detailed pick-pockets of information from smaller case studies wherever to back up your point. She said those type of structurally formed reports usually get the higher end marks.

The impacts would probably include the disasters impact on trade.
For example, in Haiti, Port-Au-Prince - the earthquake caused serious liquefaction along the docks and thus not only hindered sea-sent trade but also meant they couldn't export their primary goods which are the main source of income for less economically developed countries such as Haiti.

On the other hand for somewhere like Japan which is a more economically developed country, the effects are usually more monetised. But anyway, Japans a bit of an anomalie because of the scale of the hazard. For example the 2011 Earthquake/Tsunami, the impact was more heavily economic - costing approximately 250million yet ($309 billion/£189 billion), but thousands of people still died and looooooads were re-homed/re-located/made homeless. (Not very accurate there lol.) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12828181

hoping that's what you meant. :biggrin:

Awesome! Thanks for this, wanted to know what case studies you're using and how you plan on structuring the report?

Thank you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending