How is A-Level Health and Social Care?

Watch
sully50sully
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
How is it? Is it hard? How hard is it to get a A? btw it's a GCE A-Level! NOT BTEC!!!!!
kathryn861
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do level single award health and social care along with biology,geography and religion. I find it easy and an A is very achievable in it! AS level is straight forward but when it comes to A2 level studying biology really assisted me particularly in the cousework units. Hope this helps
sully50sully
Rep:
?
(Original post by kathryn861)
I do level single award health and social care along with biology,geography and religion. I find it easy and an A is very achievable in it! AS level is straight forward but when it comes to A2 level studying biology really assisted me particularly in the cousework units. Hope this helps
Thanks!
lotteeee.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sully50sully)
How is it? Is it hard? How hard is it to get a A? btw it's a GCE A-Level! NOT BTEC!!!!!
I studied health and social care and got an A at a level. I really enjoyed the subject which meant I put a lot of effort in to it which was reflected in my grade. In general the exam material learnt was easy once you had got your head around certain points. The coursework we had to do was ridiculous; we had 2 massive portfolios in both AS and A level years. Each of my portfolios was over 100 typed pages.

for the amount of effort and time that goes into the coursework you have to really enjoy the subject and be willing to put the hard work in.
sully50sully
Rep:
?
(Original post by lotteeee.)
I studied health and social care and got an A at a level. I really enjoyed the subject which meant I put a lot of effort in to it which was reflected in my grade. In general the exam material learnt was easy once you had got your head around certain points. The coursework we had to do was ridiculous; we had 2 massive portfolios in both AS and A level years. Each of my portfolios was over 100 typed pages.

for the amount of effort and time that goes into the coursework you have to really enjoy the subject and be willing to put the hard work in.
Yeah, I really like the subject and what is the exam about?
lotteeee.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sully50sully)
Yeah, I really like the subject and what is the exam about?
I can't remember what the exam is about exactly. We covered hospitals and things like MRI scans, CT scan etc. in fact, that's about all I remember! Sorry
sully50sully
Rep:
?
I can't remember what the exam is about exactly. We covered hospitals and things like MRI scans, CT scan etc. in fact, that's about all I remember! Sorry
Oh ok thanks
Sophie1994
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Hey can I ask what exam board you were with?
Mollie-S
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hiya,

I have just finished year 12 Double Award Health & Social Care and I do the OCR course. First of all, it isn't an easy subject as some people seem to think (obviously I can only speak on behalf of the double award) so I would advise anyone against taking it if they think it will be a soft A level as the work load is certainly not. I know certainly for my course, the amount of coursework which has to be done is quite excessive, there are 6 units which you study at AS level for the double award (4 are coursework units & 2 are exams - the same goes in year 13) for each coursework unit there are 4 set parts to it, there is then a break down of things which have to be completed per section. (It's quite complicated to explain without seeing the breakdown but you have A01 - A04 to complete and there are tasks in each A0) - this means that a lot of the time you will be completing 2 or 3 different pieces of coursework at the same time but for different teachers. Obviously this may not be so many if you are going to be studying the single award but you will still find you will be doing multiple pieces of work at once, even if it's from your other subjects.

As for the exams, I did an exam in January which was based on caring for older people so it was a lot to do with illnesses which they get, how they can be helped, what professionals intervene, how it effects them socially, emotionally as well as physically. I got a B on this exam and was only 3/4 (I can't remember which now!) marks off an A - I did work extremely hard with revision where as others in my class did not and were disappointed with their grades but it just goes to show it's about how much effort you put in really! I completed my final exam for year 12 in June and that was based on the social side of things, I found it a slightly harder exam but again with a lot of revision it was ok - some questions were not so nice but that's exams for you! Obviously I don't know my result for that yet as I get them in August but fingers crossed it went well!

I handed my final coursework assignments in all at grade A which is the highest you can get at AS level so I'm hoping now that I did well in my exam (as the grades are combined to give you your overall AS grade). My biggest advice would be that you really do have to work hard, be prepared to give up plenty of time to do coursework and don't be disheartened when it is handed back with scribbles all over (as much as it gets me!) its a worthwhile course and it has a lot of variation, you learn about lots of different things including children, the elderly, communication, exercise, nutrition & health care so it's really quite varied. Some units I found easier than others but that was due to preference (& teaching style!) so you will definitely find a few units that interest you (these will probably link to whatever career you are looking into - that was the case for me anyhow!)

I would say that always keep a copy of the OCR scheme of work as this will allow you to see exactly what you need to put in each piece of coursework (and to what extent for the higher grades) but will also give you a clear idea of what you need to revise for the exams too. Certainly the double award is quite a challenging course and so you really do need to be hardworking and organised if you want to get those top grades, like with any A level! It's a big step up from GCSE and it can be daunting, I know there have been times where I have really battled (for personal issues too) but if you keep in mind why you are doing it, you should be just fine! Plus the fact I'm speaking as the biggest stress head on earth!

So work hard and be well prepared and you can't really go wrong! It is challenging at times but it's also a really worth while course and has a lot of interesting factors to it. Certainly give everything 100% because you do not want to be redoing units or exams from year 12 in year 13!

Good luck with whatever you chose to do and feel free to ask any more questions should you need to know anything else! Sorry it's so long, I tried to cover as much as I could think of!

Mollie x
Alisha999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
[QUOTE=Mollie-S;43648812]Hiya,

Ok thanks I'm considering it for alevel I haven't done it for GCSE is it a good subject to take for alevel?
What topics are thier?
I enjoy writing essays and I love English so will I find it ok?
Thanks
idontknowmedoyou
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got a B at as level without revising. Its 66% coursework and 33% exam. Personally tho I'm dropping it because I find it incredibly boring.
Rachyray
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I just finished my AS year, and I took the AQA A level Health and Social Care. It slotted in nicely with my other A levels (biology, psychology and english literature) so if you're taking any of those it will be complimentary! Overall I loved the subject a lot, mainly because I had a really brilliant teacher. Although some universities may look down on it as a "soft" subject I believe it taught me many valuable things. Real life issues such as the treatment of patients, the challenges people with learning disabilities may face and great skills for uni such as independent researching and referencing and maintaining a bibliography. I didn't take it at GCSE either, so I just went into it as a blank slate and I really enjoyed it! One word of warning though, the coursework is a nightmare it really took up a lot of my time, but as long as you're good at meeting deadlines you should be alright. I found the exam super straightforward and I loved the topics I got to learn about.
I ended up with an A in the exam, but I got a B in the coursework which gave me the overall grade of a B! Which I'm pretty happy with, but I'll be dropping it as there is no way I'm doing coursework during A2.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (673)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.23%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.54%

Watched Threads