Copper Coil (IUD) concerns Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've made an appointment to have a copper coil fitted in a few weeks time as I've suffered with depression in the past so I don't want to use hormonal contraception as I've been told it can trigger it off/make it worse (I have only used condoms in the past so I have no personal experience of hormonal contraception). I already knew it could make your periods heavier which I'm not fussed about however I read it can cause toxicity poisoning which can result in hair loss and weight gain. Has anyone had any experience of this or any other side effects? Also is it very painful when it is inserted?
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've made an appointment to have a copper coil fitted in a few weeks time as I've suffered with depression in the past so I don't want to use hormonal contraception as I've been told it can trigger it off/make it worse (I have only used condoms in the past so I have no personal experience of hormonal contraception). I already knew it could make your periods heavier which I'm not fussed about however I read it can cause toxicity poisoning which can result in hair loss and weight gain. Has anyone had any experience of this or any other side effects? Also is it very painful when it is inserted?
I've never heard of the toxicity poisoning with it and I researched like crazy before I got mine fitted. The levels of copper are so small it wouldn't have that effect. Seriously, the amount of copper released by an IUD over 5-10 years is less than the amount you get in your diet. I think the only reason you'd have this sort of effect from the copper is if you were very, very sensitive or allergic to it.

In my experience, the fitting did hurt, it wasn't quite bad as the worst period pains I've ever had (I used to have bad ones in my teens, they made me sick) I had to stop-start a bit when walking back to the bus, but they gave me mefenamic acid straight after the procedure and some to take home. Once that kicked in I was fine. For the first couple of months I had a bit of spotting and cramping between periods, often in the evening after I'd been up and about during the day This is normal while its settling and your body is getting used to it. My periods were very slightly heavier for a while, but not enough to be that noticable. They haven't been any more painful but they do last a bit longer. They used to last 4-6 days, what happens now is that I have a day or two of light bleeding before it kicks in properly and it tails off more slowly, The longest its lasted is 10/11 days, now its about a week. They have got shorter over time. I had mine fitted this time last year for similar reasons, a general dislike and discomfort around putting artificial hormones in my body and knowing that something I don't have to think about being better for me. I am 100% happy with it and have no regrets.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
I've never heard of the toxicity poisoning with it and I researched like crazy before I got mine fitted. The levels of copper are so small it wouldn't have that effect. Seriously, the amount of copper released by an IUD over 5-10 years is less than the amount you get in your diet. I think the only reason you'd have this sort of effect from the copper is if you were very, very sensitive or allergic to it.

In my experience, the fitting did hurt, it wasn't quite bad as the worst period pains I've ever had (I used to have bad ones in my teens, they made me sick) I had to stop-start a bit when walking back to the bus, but they gave me mefenamic acid straight after the procedure and some to take home. Once that kicked in I was fine. For the first couple of months I had a bit of spotting and cramping between periods, often in the evening after I'd been up and about during the day This is normal while its settling and your body is getting used to it. My periods were very slightly heavier for a while, but not enough to be that noticable. They haven't been any more painful but they do last a bit longer. They used to last 4-6 days, what happens now is that I have a day or two of light bleeding before it kicks in properly and it tails off more slowly, The longest its lasted is 10/11 days, now its about a week. They have got shorter over time. I had mine fitted this time last year for similar reasons, a general dislike and discomfort around putting artificial hormones in my body and knowing that something I don't have to think about being better for me. I am 100% happy with it and have no regrets.
Thanks. Thinking of it all the negative stories I heard about the coil have been from Americans maybe they have more copper in their environment and diets than we do. I asked two of my friends who have/had it and they didn't report side effects other than longer/heavier periods like you said which I'd personally rather have than pump my body full of hormones.
miriamjameson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you for posting this... and while some (and perhaps many) have had positives with a copper IUD, I am one of those that had horrible side effects. I chose it purely because I was intimidated by forms of birth control with hormones (one of my friends can't have children because of it). I lost 80% of my hair, couldn't get out of bed. IT WAS AWFUL!

The good news for me is that I am on my way to a healing path, though the process has taken 2 years (and will probably take at least 1 more). I ended up writing a book about it, in hopes to continue to raise awareness so that women can make informed decisions. Because when I researched the Paragard, I didn't find anything truly awful. And yet, what I experienced, was the worst thing I have ever experienced in my life!

Thanks for posting, as I think awareness and conversation is the best form of help to inform. I recently connected with a woman from Sweden that had the same thing happen.... and have found hundreds of women elsewhere!

Having it removed was the best thing I ever did for myself!

Best,
-Miriam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (440)
67.28%
No (214)
32.72%

Watched Threads