The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How does one go about getting a "Triple Starred First" in SPS? It's only got two Parts... Maths with Part I, II and III I can understand.....
I think he's counting IIA and IIB as two separate parts. Naughty :p:.

One way I can see how you could do it is if you did Part I SPS, Part I History in year 2 and Part II History in year 3, but would they award you for each part, or take your best?
Reply 62
Not that any of this matters, of course.
Reply 63
The West Wing
One way I can see how you could do it is if you did Part I SPS, Part I History in year 2 and Part II History in year 3, but would they award you for each part, or take your best?

Part I History is a two year course. And you're meant to class Part IA and Part IB as two parts - that's pretty much the only way people get triple-starred firsts these days.
Reply 64
History is one of the few subjects I think that hasn't yet subdivided it's 2 year Part I into IA and 1B.

ith regards to triple starred first - I think it's a bit ambiguous. You could get on if you got a starred first in all 3 Parts of a degree, if it had them, but also, as one geographer I know has done, you can get a triple starred first in 1 year of examinations: literally getting 3 levels above a first. But that won't happen for, well, hardly anyone! lol
Reply 65
I call bull**** on that one. Are you saying that he got got a 1* in three exams in his first year (which doesn't count as a 'triple starred first') or he got some form of 1*** (which doesn't even exist)?
Reply 66
I don't know exactly I'm afraid, but it's fairly widely known that he did exceptionally well and got the highest result of any student in Cambridge in his first and possibly second year. He called a triple starred first but have heard others use it as well. He basically got over 90% in all his exams I think :smile:, but obviously he's a very unusual character!
Reply 67
They cap econ exams at 90% :frown:
Reply 68
English is generally capped at 85%, rendering the % sign meaningless.
Reply 69
you mean you can't get >90%? That's stupid :p:
Reply 70
Tbh it's not like I'll ever get 90% anyway, so it's hardly a binding constraint. Lots (relatively speaking) of geographers seem to manage it though. Guess we've got a lot of people who are good at colouring inside the lines
Apagg
Tbh it's not like I'll ever get 90% anyway, so it's hardly a binding constraint. Lots (relatively speaking) of geographers seem to manage it though. Guess we've got a lot of people who are good at colouring inside the lines

Haha, so true.
Supergrunch
My cousin got a double starred first on the English Tripos.

This is insane.

Is your cousin possibly a medievalist who now teaches at QMUL?

On topic: I think the distinction between "double starred first" (1* twice in a row) and "double-starred first" (1**) doesn't seem to be clear. What would the procedure be for displaying these classes? People might talk about them like they talk about getting a "double first", but I think this can be misleading. Since starred firsts have asterisks next to them on the results sheets ouside the senate house ("with distinction" as a footnote), I'd presume that someone getting a 'double-starred' first would have two stars ("with outstanding distinction") next to their name. I don't know, though, as I've never seen one. This achievement is somewhat different from getting a 1* in Parts I and II of a Tripos, which in one sense is a test of consistently good performance rather than ludicrously high results. I can't even guess what you'd need to get a 1** in my English, since hardly anyone ever even gets a 1* (usually one person each year, none in my year). Possibly two or three 80+ marks (possible on the dissertations) and the rest 75+. Which, TBH, doesn't even sound that 'insane' at all in theory, until you have to endure a Cambridge exam term.
Reply 73
Da Bachtopus
Is your cousin possibly a medievalist who now teaches at QMUL?

On topic: I think the distinction between "double starred first" (1* twice in a row) and "double-starred first" (1**) doesn't seem to be clear. What would the procedure be for displaying these classes? People might talk about them like they talk about getting a "double first", but I think this can be misleading. Since starred firsts have asterisks next to them on the results sheets ouside the senate house ("with distinction" as a footnote), I'd presume that someone getting a 'double-starred' first would have two stars ("with outstanding distinction") next to their name. I don't know, though, as I've never seen one. This achievement is somewhat different from getting a 1* in Parts I and II of a Tripos, which in one sense is a test of consistently good performance rather than ludicrously high results. I can't even guess what you'd need to get a 1** in my English, since hardly anyone ever even gets a 1* (usually one person each year, none in my year). Possibly two or three 80+ marks (possible on the dissertations) and the rest 75+. Which, TBH, doesn't even sound that 'insane' at all in theory, until you have to endure a Cambridge exam term.

You can't get a 1** or a 1*** in one set of exams. Even if you got 100% in every single exam you sat in one year you would only get 1*. You can only claim to have a double-starred first if you've got a starred first in 2 years of exams, and thus a triple starred first would be a starred first in all 3 years.
Reply 74
tony_ron
I don't know exactly I'm afraid, but it's fairly widely known that he did exceptionally well and got the highest result of any student in Cambridge in his first year.

I doubt 87% (which is what he got) was the highest across Cambridge. Some Mathmos regularly get 95%+.
HappyHupo
You can't get a 1** or a 1*** in one set of exams. Even if you got 100% in every single exam you sat in one year you would only get 1*. You can only claim to have a double-starred first if you've got a starred first in 2 years of exams, and thus a triple starred first would be a starred first in all 3 years.

You see, this is what I'm not sure about. I don't know if people are claiming that these classmarks are two/three grades above a first, or just repeated 1*s. However, I'm not sure what your authority is for denying that a 1** is possible (just like I'm not sure of its existence, never having seen one outside the senate house, and suspecting that what I've heard of is just a variety of "double first").

If you pay attention to punctuation, you'll notice that a "double-starred first" suggests something different from a "double starred first": in the former, "double-starred" implies a superior modification of a first, whereas in the latter, the "starred first" is simply achieved twice. If you see what I'm getting at? I think this has led to significant confusion, especially given that people claim things like this in interviews and there's no way of seeing how it's written.

However, if you're right, a "double starred first" would never be a formally awarded classification (just like a "double first" isn't officially acknowledged).

I'm inclined to believe that such marks are possible, though. I'd really like to see a photo of a the results sheet from a year someone supposedly got one, just to see what is written. I mean, in theory, it would be possible for someone to fulfill the criteria for a 1* with a lower average than someone who happened to get a 2.i in one paper. Hence I suspect there are higher echelons.

TBH, though, I see it more as a peculiarity of the Cambridge system. It's not as if a special degree classification will get you much farther in academia if you don't do decent postgrad work and publish things.
as far as i know there's no such thing as a double-starred first. When people talk about double and triple 'starred firsts' they just mean that they got starred firsts in both parts of their tripos, or when pushing it, in all three years of their degree.
Reply 77
Da Bachtopus

It's not as if a special degree classification will get you much farther in academia if you don't do decent postgrad work and publish things.

Very true.
groovy_moose
as far as i know there's no such thing as a double-starred first. When people talk about double and triple 'starred firsts' they just mean that they got starred firsts in both parts of their tripos, or when pushing it, in all three years of their degree.

I've heard them /talked/ about differently (eg. in relation to that English academic who cropped up in this thread -- but I never pressed this person on exactly what their marks were, because I'd have seemed weird and they would probably have enjoyed telling me a great deal). So that's two kinds of talking I've been exposed to.

Most academics seem just to get firsts, do a master's and a PhD whilst publishing stuff, and base their reputations on the quality of the work they produce, which inevitably goes beyond whatever can be acheived in undergraduate finals. So in the long run it doesn't matter at all, because a candidate with a good first and a good research proposal will not be disadvantaged in terms of funding against one with astronomical marks, these being so few in number.
Reply 79
Da Bachtopus
You see, this is what I'm not sure about. I don't know if people are claiming that these classmarks are two/three grades above a first, or just repeated 1*s. However, I'm not sure what your authority is for denying that a 1** is possible (just like I'm not sure of its existence, never having seen one outside the senate house, and suspecting that what I've heard of is just a variety of "double first").

My authority? Well, I'm going on what my DoS said, although he could be wrong, after all, he's only been at the university for the past 30 years. A 1* is the highest mark which can be awarded. Simple.

Da Bachtopus
If you pay attention to punctuation, you'll notice that a "double-starred first" suggests something different from a "double starred first": in the former, "double-starred" implies a superior modification of a first, whereas in the latter, the "starred first" is simply achieved twice

Seen as a double starred first/ double-starred first can only be achieved by getting a 1* in two separate years, it makes no difference whether you hyphenate it or not.

Da Bachtopus
I'm inclined to believe that such marks are possible, though. I'd really like to see a photo of a the results sheet from a year someone supposedly got one, just to see what is written.

Well good luck in finding one; seen as they don't exist!

Latest

Trending

Trending