The Student Room Group

Physics A2 without Maths A2???

Hello everyone :smile: uhm im currently in year 12 and finished my last exam last week :smile: i was just wondering what to drop next year at first i wanted to drop physics and after doing physics and enjoying physics i feel that its my strongest subject :smile: i currently do biology chemistry physics and maths and i want to biology and chemistry next year and it was between maths and physics well basically i was thinking do you need to do maths A2 for physics A2 (AQA) thanks i have considered doing four A2s but i thought that was unnecessary i want to go into dentistry btw and yeh is it possible to get an A or even an A* without maths because i feel that i have absolutely killed my physics AS exams :smile: sorry about the long message and any help would be much appreciated thanks again :smile:
Reply 1
no, there are a few things in which you would benefit a bit from having A2 maths knowledge (like exponentials and logs) but even they aren't too taxing
Original post by That_Clever_Guy
Hello everyone :smile: uhm im currently in year 12 and finished my last exam last week :smile: i was just wondering what to drop next year at first i wanted to drop physics and after doing physics and enjoying physics i feel that its my strongest subject :smile: i currently do biology chemistry physics and maths and i want to biology and chemistry next year and it was between maths and physics well basically i was thinking do you need to do maths A2 for physics A2 (AQA) thanks i have considered doing four A2s but i thought that was unnecessary i want to go into dentistry btw and yeh is it possible to get an A or even an A* without maths because i feel that i have absolutely killed my physics AS exams :smile: sorry about the long message and any help would be much appreciated thanks again :smile:

As long as you learn about the exponential function (e) and natural logarithms, doing A2 maths wont really provide you with much benefit in A2 physics as long as you understood all the stuff at AS.
Original post by brittanna
As long as you learn about the exponential function (e) and natural logarithms, doing A2 maths wont really provide you with much benefit in A2 physics as long as you understood all the stuff at AS.

Yeh I understand natural logs and i understand the mechanics in physics so it is possible to get an A and I won't be at a major disadvantage? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jack93o
no, there are a few things in which you would benefit a bit from having A2 maths knowledge (like exponentials and logs) but even they aren't too taxing

So i won't be at a major disadvantage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

Not a problem, the maths involved in A level physics is a walk in the park really and not really any harder than it is at AS with the exception of a couple of things involving logs...
Yeh I understand natural logs and i understand the mechanics in physics so it is possible to get an A and I won't be at a major disadvantage? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you'll be fine as long as you know how to use logs then. Most of the questions are just substituting numbers into formulae and converting units, so you'll be fine :tongue:.
Thanks everyone :smile: some helpful advice much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest