The Student Room Group

Can you get away with this? Council tax and student checks

Right so, I'm in the process of signing for a house with a group of friends going in to a further year of study at uni. One of my friends dropped out just after Xmas break, he's planning to move in with us as well.

Problem is- obviously this is a student only property and for the property (and occupants) to be exempt from council tax all of the tenants are required to provide their student ID numbers. He's told me that he still has his student card but he's not sure if the number will work or not, he asked what I thought

I'm asking what you all think, because I have no idea.

How up to date do they keep records these days? I was thinking of any possible way he could get away with it, by saying he was under the impression he was on a concession to return the next year, etc. I have no idea really, just trying to help a friend out who may end up homeless otherwise.

If he did give in his student ID number and they clocked on, what would be the repercussions?
It wouldn't look good on you as a group. As he a non student and will be expected to pay council tax. You could get in a lot if trouble from the council.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by sophia_
Right so, I'm in the process of signing for a house with a group of friends going in to a further year of study at uni. One of my friends dropped out just after Xmas break, he's planning to move in with us as well.

Problem is- obviously this is a student only property and for the property (and occupants) to be exempt from council tax all of the tenants are required to provide their student ID numbers. He's told me that he still has his student card but he's not sure if the number will work or not, he asked what I thought

I'm asking what you all think, because I have no idea.

How up to date do they keep records these days? I was thinking of any possible way he could get away with it, by saying he was under the impression he was on a concession to return the next year, etc. I have no idea really, just trying to help a friend out who may end up homeless otherwise.

If he did give in his student ID number and they clocked on, what would be the repercussions?

Just don't register him... shouldn't be a problem unless your landlord puts him forward to the council as a tenant.

When my parents moved out of our flat I registered for exemption and they were like "yea you are a student but you're parents are not" and then I just wrote them an angry e-mail that I am well aware my parents aren't students and I registered for exemption because they moved out. Nothing more to it. Don't register him in the first place with the council and they will never know.

Only question I have is why is the person moving in anyway if they dropped out of uni? Did they find a job, or do they just want to be there for the parties?
(edited 10 years ago)
What do you mean the property is a student only property? If this one occupant is not a student, only he will be required to pay council tax. All the students' names will be taken off the council tax letter. He is then treated as a 'solo inhabitant', and he gets 25% off. I doubt he will be 'homeless'.

It's not normally your student number that you give to the council, normally a letter from the university. Although this may actually vary from university to university.

You could also not register him as an occupant. Although this may not work, as normally the council also checks with the landlord if they have the landlord's details.

However, at the end of the day, I reckon only he will be the on who gets into trouble, I doubt it will be on you.
This will be a form of fraud, which councils do not tend to look on kindly. The first person to get in trouble will probably be the person(s) whose names are on the bill. Obviously those name(s) cannot be the non-student's, so potentially they could land their friend in court and get them a conviction for fraud.

As Mother_Russia said, they will be able to get the 25% single person discount. I'd also suggest investigating whether or not they will be eligible for council tax benefit (and housing benefit). They may be eligible even if they are a in a job that is relatively low paid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending