sordidsane
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi all, I have recently received five conditional offers for my masters in architecture (RIBA Part 2). While I have heard the five universities mentioned in the title above - University of Westminster, Manchester Metropolitan University, Glasgow School of Art, University of Greenwich and University of Sheffield- are very good in their own way but are different in terms of course content and teaching methods, I'm wondering does anyone know what's the difference and which university is better suited for a student who loves architecture and art with a mix of technicality and conceptual ideas? I do not believe in the ranking as it seems slightly far-fetched and unconvincing to me, haha. Thanks in advance for the constructive feedback to come Image

Personally I have preferred Westminster and Sheffield. But it really is a tough choice to make.
username818632
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sordidsane)
Hi all, I have recently received five conditional offers for my masters in architecture (RIBA Part 2). While I have heard the five universities mentioned in the title above - University of Westminster, Manchester Metropolitan University, Glasgow School of Art, University of Greenwich and University of Sheffield- are very good in their own way but are different in terms of course content and teaching methods, I'm wondering does anyone know what's the difference and which university is better suited for a student who loves architecture and art with a mix of technicality and conceptual ideas? I do not believe in the ranking as it seems slightly far-fetched and unconvincing to me, haha. Thanks in advance for the constructive feedback to come Image

Personally I have preferred Westminster and Sheffield. But it really is a tough choice to make.
Well I'm not sure whether this helps much because I myself am too lazy to do this. Research for Part 1 I just picked the uni I like the best because they all sounded the same and I'm too lazy to go anywhere else other than my own university. I love Notts too much.

From what I know of the architecture schools is that Glasgow school of Art are (obviously) very conceptual and focus on buildings as giant sculptures more than actual buildable, fully integrated into context, functional and pleasant buildings that people would love to live in (I hate those kind of buildings. I think university teaching students to do that (to the extreme) is just silly since only Starchitects can get away with that and realistically how many of us are going to go and work for them? Anyway rant over).

Sheffield I hear is a nice mixture like my own uni. It can be arty but it also doesn't have it's head up in the artistic clouds either encouraging you to build buildings that could actually be built and wouldn't actually be a failure in the real world. Unis like that are much better.

I've heard good things about Westminster too but sadly I haven't heard much about it.
bmcr
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sordidsane)

Hi, did you decide between Westminster or Sheffield for MArch Part 2? I have received offers from both and also finding it really hard to choose between? I was wondering would you mind sharing what helped you decided? And how your experience of where you are has been, Thanks!
tulpate
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey! I'm applying this year I'm stuck choosing between Westminster and Sheffield uni. I'm guessing you havr decided by now. Would be grateful if you could let me know where you decided to go and any advice you have to help me make my decision. Thanks in advance
tulpate
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey! I'm applying this year I'm stuck choosing between Westminster and Sheffield uni. I'm guessing you havr decided by now. Would be grateful if you could let me know where you decided to go and any advice you have to help me make my decision. Thanks in advance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.34%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.17%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.46%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.41%

Watched Threads