After 2 years of doing A levels, I now feel guilty for picking Further Maths Watch

study beats
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
i would have been better of doing something like maths, physics and some other softer subject...

instead of trying to do maths, physics, chemistry and further maths at the start of the year...failing chemistry and dropping it after March results last year..

and this year i am doing bad in Further maths anyway, just failed my M3 exam...

need 300 UCAS points for Uni... which i dont think i am gonna get..probably only gonna get 260 UCAS points...

i feel like an idiot and i feel as i am not intelligent at all....all my cousions back home are gonna get way better grades then me such as A*'s, and my parents are gonna screw at me and everything is gonna stay grim for the rest of my life...

if i happily got into the university, then i wouldnt really be sad...but the chances look slim and my future looks bleak...

where have i gone wrong? i work very hard, almost 3-6 hours a day. i cover everything i need to know, yet when it comes to exams, i fail to obtain the result i want...dont tell me my revision techniques are wrong, i dont wanna hear any of that crap....

note: to reply to me directly, can you quote this or message me. thanks.
Makebelieve15
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by study beats)
i would have been better of doing something like maths, physics and some other softer subject...

instead of trying to do maths, physics, chemistry and further maths at the start of the year...failing chemistry and dropping it after March results last year..

need 300 UCAS points for Uni... which i dont think i am gonna get..probably only gonna get 260 UCAS points...

i feel like an idiot and i feel as i am not intelligent at all....all my cousions back home are gonna get way better grades then me such as A*'s, and my parents are gonna screw at me and everything is gonna stay grim for the rest of my life...

if i happily got into the university, then i wouldnt really be sad...but the chances look slim and my future looks bleak...

where have i gone wrong? i work very hard, almost 6 hours a day. i cover everything i need to know, yet when it comes to exams, i fail to obtain the result i want...dont tell me my revision techniques are wrong, i dont wanna hear any of that crap...
Either that, or you're just thick.
ryanb97
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

where have i gone wrong? i work very hard, almost 6 hours a day. i cover everything i need to know, yet when it comes to exams, i fail to obtain the result i want...dont tell me my revision techniques are wrong, i dont wanna hear any of that crap...
hey mate....its all about revison technique!

for maths - use PP ...its basically the same Q every year,,with different numbers

i dont know about the rest...

Ryan
georgia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You ask where you are going wrong, and then reject the idea that your revision techniques aren't up to scratch...calling it 'any of that crap'.

Yeah, okay...so you're doing everything perfectly and that is why you are doing exactly as well as you want to :/

It isn't about the time you put in - it is about what you do with the time you do put in. Evidently you aren't studying effectively for 6 hours a day or else you would see improvement.
TDL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

What do you want to hear exactly?

If you worked for 6 hours a day everyday then it's down to these reasons:

1. That simply wasn't enough and you needed to do more
2. Revision technique is wrong (most likely)
3. You're not suited for those A levels

Just hope you'll get into university, and if you don't then remember it's not the end of the world. There are many other paths which don't require A levels. Also, stop comparing yourself to others such as your cousins.
study beats
Rep:
?
(Original post by Makebelieve15)
Either that, or you're just thick.
mind your foul language mate before someone gets hurt....clearly i wouldnt do these subjects if i thought i wouldnt be that capable....i just perform poorly in exams for some reason...in class i know everything inside out and absorb anything
Makebelieve15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
mind your foul language mate before someone gets hurt....clearly i wouldnt do these subjects if i thought i wouldnt be that capable....i just perform poorly in exams for some reason...in class i know everything inside out and absorb anything
You are clearly capable but your revision technique isn't up to scratch. Someone who puts in 6 hours a day and is bright should be getting ABB minimum.

You sound very arrogant for rejecting your revision technique as a source of failure. You perform poorly for a reason, but it can't just be bad luck. You must've obviously done well at GCSE.
Namige
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well you implied your revision technique wasn't the issue.. so what else can it be?
study beats
Rep:
?
(Original post by Namige)
Well you implied your revision technique wasn't the issue.. so what else can it be?
bad luck?
god is punishing me?
this is faith?
the examiners hate me because they saw my muslim name?
the stress of A levels is not for me?
Tendulkar217
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

where have i gone wrong? i work very hard, almost 3-6 hours a day. i cover everything i need to know, yet when it comes to exams, i fail to obtain the result i want...dont tell me my revision techniques are wrong, i dont wanna hear any of that crap....

If it doesn't work out this year, you know you can just re-do some of the A2's next summer, and re-apply? People at my school who just miss out on Medicine and other stuff do that, and we're a very highly rated private school, so it just shows that it happens to everyone. I know someone who like me had 12A*'s at GCSE, 4 A's at AS-Level and predicted 4A*'s this year, applied for medicine and didn't get any offers after 4 interviews...

However, one should realise that after 6 hours work a day, if you're still not getting the marks you think you should be getting, then just do some more? Yesterday I worked from 12-8 and didn't feel I had done enough, so just kept going till like 2am. It's how much you put in - that's how much you'll get out of it!

If you're just not cutting it in the exam, then exam pressure (which we all get!) may be a contributing factor? In that case, just sit aside in a room for an hour and a half or whatever and do your maths paper as if you needed an A* or whatever and your university place depended on it. If you don't get it, do it again, and again and again until you can do it consistently. That's one way of mimicking exam pressure?

From what you're saying, I don't think it's exam pressure - I think it's a matter of how much you're revising and how efficiently
study beats
Rep:
?
(Original post by Makebelieve15)
You are clearly capable but your revision technique isn't up to scratch. Someone who puts in 6 hours a day and is bright should be getting ABB minimum.

You sound very arrogant for rejecting your revision technique as a source of failure. You perform poorly for a reason, but it can't just be bad luck. You must've obviously done well at GCSE.
yes i done well at GCSE

my revision technique is not a major source of failure....revision is revision, however you do it, if u put in the work, the results should come right?
ResultInExcellence
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well if you think that you can do these subjects, and you don't want to hear anyone talk about your revision techniques, the only other thing is that you don't know the style of your own exams. There are exam techniques as well. Being able to know how to answer a question is key. If you don't think it's your revision technique, which quite frankly it is because a way to revise is by looking at mark schemes and doing papers, and anyone who is so confident would easily do well with 6 hours of revision a day. Go and look at mark schemes and examiner reports and find out what you're doing wrong. Have you even tried to ask your teachers what exactly it is that you're doing wrong? Have you tried discussing with them this exact issue?

For example, although you're not taking History, for History even at GCSE, if the question asks you to explain, it isn't enough to just regurgitate what you know about it and the events that happen. You would need to link it back to what you're explaining - often a consequence. Exam techniques for history papers include linking between points as well as prioritising. Doesn't say you have to in the question itself, but you need to to get full marks. Sounds like you're having a similar problem.

Furthermore, any university would rather you have an A in a 'harder' subject such as the sciences than have an A* in a 'soft' subject such as Media Studies or whatnot.
Makebelieve15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yes i done well at GCSE

my revision technique is not a major source of failure....revision is revision, however you do it, if u put in the work, the results should come right?
Not if you're not doing it right.

My advice is this. Wait and see how results day goes. If you don't get into the university of your choice, take a year out and resit. Make yourself proud by getting grades you deserve. Get a part time job and that way you can go travelling for a bit or have savings for uni. At the same time re-do the papers that you did poorly in.

Hopefully you get better grades.

Time does not equal success. If you gave me a Physics book, I could stare at it for 20 hours and still not understand the first page.
Namige
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
bad luck?
god is punishing me?
this is faith?
Why are you blaming so many factors that are completely irrational. Maybe you aren't able to accept your inadequacy. There has to be a very serious problem if you revise for 6 hours a day and still fail despite having revised 'properly'.
Alleykat606
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yes i done well at GCSE

that's not really the case...most of it comes from doing past papers and spotting what the examiners like to ask/what the most common questions are; just reading a text book won't get you the grade you went - yes, you will come across a question and think 'I know all about this topic, I read about it hours on end', but that doesn't mean you'll actually write down the key points the examiner and the markscheme are looking for and you'll just end up waffling on about the general gist of it all...
eggfriedrice
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not everyone is made for academic subjects. That is in no way saying they are "thicker" than the more able ones.
If you have honestly tried your best with a good revision technique, then it's likely you're just not made for those subjects.
Wattsy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
bad luck?
god is punishing me?
this is faith?
Stop blaming irrational external factors beyond your control and examine yourself. You'll find the problem lies there.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Time spent studying is not intrinsically linked to getting good grades.
Goldenballs97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Now I might just be getting a bit picky, but I think you feel regret rather than guilt :rolleyes:
paradoxicalme
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
bad luck? no such thing.
god is punishing me? surely he'd go the thunderbolt route.
this is faith? what?
the examiners hate me because they saw my muslim name? Oh, bugger off.
the stress of A levels is not for me? quite possibly. What career do you want to do?
Sounds like you're blaming everything else because you regret your choices and don't want to admit it could be your fault. Maybe your subjects simply aren't for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
9%
Disagree (5)
5%
Neither agree or disagree (31)
31%
Agree (40)
40%
Strongly Agree (15)
15%

Watched Threads