The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Coventry students?

IS there anyone here doing either Industrial, Automotive or Transport Design at Coventry?

If yes, is the course good?

Also, is Coventry a nice city overall?

Cheers:smile:
I'm not on this course and have never studied at Coventry University but whilst I was a student 7 years ago I remember one of my tutors saying Coventry's Automotive Design program was known to be world class. I suspect it still is and I also suspect its industrial and transport design programs would also be equally good.

Coventry. Well, it depends what you're comparing it too. Berlin is a hell of a lot more interesting than Coventry. Manchester is much more interesting, but unless you're at the University of Manchester, there is no point studying in Manchester. Leicester and Coventry are probably comparable. Coventry is an interesting place, but its mostly underground and it depends on what you consider interesting. A club was recently closed down in Coventry because folks would openly take drugs in there. Coventry is a bit rough but roughness doesn't mean ugly or boring in fact roughness shows a bit of character and originality. In Coventry you can meet all sorts of people. I don't think Cov Uni and Warwick Uni students interact much but you have Warwick Uni also based in Coventry. Some Warwick Uni students actually live in Leamington rather than Coventry (probably because they're being a bit snobby). I am from Leamington and it's about 10 miles away and yeah it is a nice place but it is also expensive. Coventry also has nice places, but you're young, you really want to be living in a happening place rather than a pretty place. If you're an open person, Coventry has some interesting people that you can befriend. There are some/many clubs in Coventry which are the generic, regional, kitsch, crap music type places which are all over the UK.

What are the other Universities you're considering?
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by StuckInCoventry
I'm not on this course and have never studied at Coventry University but whilst I was a student 7 years ago I remember one of my tutors saying Coventry's Automotive Design program was known to be world class. I suspect it still is and I also suspect its industrial and transport design programs would also be equally good.

Coventry. Well, it depends what you're comparing it too. Berlin is a hell of a lot more interesting than Coventry. Manchester is much more interesting, but unless you're at the University of Manchester, there is no point studying in Manchester. Leicester and Coventry are probably comparable. Coventry is an interesting place, but its mostly underground and it depends on what you consider interesting. A club was recently closed down in Coventry because folks would openly take drugs in there. Coventry is a bit rough but roughness doesn't mean ugly or boring in fact roughness shows a bit of character and originality. In Coventry you can meet all sorts of people. I don't think Cov Uni and Warwick Uni students interact much but you have Warwick Uni also based in Coventry. Some Warwick Uni students actually live in Leamington rather than Coventry (probably because they're being a bit snobby). I am from Leamington and it's about 10 miles away and yeah it is a nice place but it is also expensive. Coventry also has nice places, but you're young, you really want to be living in a happening place rather than a pretty place. If you're an open person, Coventry has some interesting people that you can befriend. There are some/many clubs in Coventry which are the generic, regional, kitsch, crap music type places which are all over the UK.

Thanks for the response :smile:
I'm also considering Loughborough, Swansea, Bournemouth, Hertfordshire, Aston;
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3

Please ignore this persons view. They has never studied here and doesn't even live in coventry. I'm going into my 3rd year and I've loved every minute. "Coventry is an interesting place but its mostly underground" what does that mean?

coventry has rough area but they are nowhere near the uni and I've never had any trouble (although my mate did).

warwick uni student live in leamington because its closer that living in coventry city centre, it's nothing to do with being snobby. Intact a friends brother got stabbed in leam last year.

my last point, coventry has many clubs that are not Generic. The Kash bar is awesome and have big named acts on, hush have really good r&b nights on, careys have a comedy night on Tuesdays. Please don't listen to the above person, they have never lived or studied in coventry. If you need anything just ask, remember I'm still studying here
I know someone on one of those courses going into their 2nd year :smile:
Original post by Freeasabird
Please ignore this persons view. They has never studied here and doesn't even live in coventry. I'm going into my 3rd year and I've loved every minute. "Coventry is an interesting place but its mostly underground" what does that mean?

coventry has rough area but they are nowhere near the uni and I've never had any trouble (although my mate did).

warwick uni student live in leamington because its closer that living in coventry city centre, it's nothing to do with being snobby. Intact a friends brother got stabbed in leam last year.

my last point, coventry has many clubs that are not Generic. The Kash bar is awesome and have big named acts on, hush have really good r&b nights on, careys have a comedy night on Tuesdays. Please don't listen to the above person, they have never lived or studied in coventry. If you need anything just ask, remember I'm still studying here

Actually I do live in Coventry.

Warwick University is not closer to Leamington than it is to Coventry. Their campus is 9 miles from Leamington. Warwick Uni is actually in the Canley area of Coventry, one-two miles from Earlsdon, and it's 3 miles to get into the city centre/train station, etc.

If you reread my original post without the blinkers on, you'll see I am complimentary about Coventry University. I specifically commented on this post, because I know first hand just how respected Coventry Universities Automotive Design programme is.

Don't hate on me.
Reply 6
Actually I do live in Coventry.

Warwick University is not closer to Leamington than it is to Coventry. Their campus is 9 miles from Leamington. Warwick Uni is actually in the Canley area of Coventry, one-two miles from Earlsdon, and it's 3 miles to get into the city centre/train station, etc.

If you reread my original post without the blinkers on, you'll see I am complimentary about Coventry University. I specifically commented on this post, because I know first hand just how respected Coventry Universities Automotive Design programme is.

Don't hate on me.

Im not hating on you. You might be the nicest person ever. All I'm saying is your advice is not great. The people on here have enough problems trying to make desicions without being given bad advice.

i don't mean for this to be interpreted as me slagging you off or having ago at you, I'm not. All I am saying is that 8 years ago is a long time ago when it comes to fees in universities and rental prices. I'm sorry but I won't back down in my opinion of yor bad advice.

Your are complimentary about their automotive design course (everyone should be it really is top notch), but don't put people off coventry by saying "they closed a club down for this, it's rough, you want to live in a happening place". Compared to leamington (which is where you live I believe, not coventry) coventry is slightly rougher but a lot less than leicester, Birmingham, shottingham (aka Nottingham). So lets not put a city down too quickly shall we.
Reply 7
Thanks anyway guys :smile: :five:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending