The Student Room Group

Do somalis/arabs have strong prejudice towards south Asians?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ornlu
I thought it was common sense; anyone with two eyes and a mind to ponder could have deduced it as I have, no!? I do want to generalise that as a British Asian I'm more enclined to be more 'worldly', however I'm not sure if my fellow brownies would back me up by saying they deduced just as much... Would it be more excessive if I told you that I could (usually) successfully guess what language people were speaking/ writing in withought knowing more than a sentance in any other language or is this normal? :colondollar:

Wait whaaaaaaat:eek: I guess i could do that same, but i cant tell the difference between a Nigerian and a Somalian.. but obviously i would be able to recognise a bengali, pakistani, indian etc from eachother.
Lets put that skill to the test then:wink:
What language is this;
''ami gumaytam farram na''
Reply 21
Original post by ZazDogg
This is so right. I'm sick of people saying "he doesn't look Indian". There is no such thing as looking Indian. We have so many ethnic groups. I'm part of the Bengali ethnic group in East India. Next door we have Biharis. Down South there are Telegus, Kannadans, Tamils, Malayalis. To the west there are Marathis, Gujaratis and Punjabis. There are many more which I didn't mention. We all speak different languages too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe soon goreh will understand what it means to be Indian if we just call every single Briton a Welshman just to p*** them off :colone:
Reply 22
Original post by Fabz_x
Wait whaaaaaaat:eek: I guess i could do that same, but i cant tell the difference between a Nigerian and a Somalian.. but obviously i would be able to recognise a bengali, pakistani, indian etc from eachother.
What language is this;

That language is Assamese!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Fabz_x
What language is this;

LOL, what I meant was when it's written in its own alphabet or spoken allowed so I can hear the pronunciation and type of words used (irregardless of the accent) - doesn't make me an expert though, just know that tiny tiny bit more than the average joe who can't tell his Spanish from his French to his Italian or his Arabic to his Persian, or his Serbian to his Russian :rolleyes:
*sigh*, at a guess the language comes from south asia. If it's not Hindi, I would guess either Tamil, Bengali or Telagu...:confused:
Reply 24
i dont think somalis generally do but arabs maybe.
Reply 25
Original post by ZazDogg
That language is Assamese!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shh you! i was supposed to test the other persons skills.:colone:
( Its sylheti )
Reply 26
Original post by Ornlu
LOL, what I meant was when it's written in its own alphabet or spoken allowed so I can hear the pronunciation and type of words used (irregardless of the accent) - doesn't make me an expert though, just know that tiny tiny bit more than the average joe who can't tell his Spanish from his French to his Italian or his Arabic to his Persian, or his Serbian to his Russian :rolleyes:
*sigh*, at a guess the language comes from south asia. If it's not Hindi, I would guess either Tamil, Bengali or Telagu...:confused:

Even i could do thatt:colone:

Its bengali, :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Ornlu
Maybe soon goreh will understand what it means to be Indian if we just call every single Briton a Welshman just to p*** them off :colone:

I actually don't like to identify myself as Indian, even though I am. India was a country that was a line drawn on a map. My ethnic identity is Bengali, but one can only dream of the reunion of West Bengal and East Bengal(Bangladesh). There is no 'Bengali' option on the census form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Fabz_x
Shh you! i was supposed to test the other persons skills.:colone:
( Its sylheti )

Sylheti is very similar to Assamese. More similar than it is to Shudho Bhasha. They sound similar to me too, so I guessed right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by ZazDogg
Sylheti is very similar to Assamese. More similar than it is to Shudho Bhasha. They sound similar to me too, so I guessed right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But they're two completely different places..
hm..but its still not assamese, its sylheti :tongue:
Reply 30
Original post by ZazDogg
I actually don't like to identify myself as Indian, even though I am. India was a country that was a line drawn on a map. My ethnic identity is Bengali, but one can only dream of the reunion of West Bengal and East Bengal(Bangladesh). There is no 'Bengali' option on the census form.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As do I with Punjab. Alas, maybe the nation of India was meant to unify injustice more than form politcal or religious boundary...
Reply 31
Original post by Ornlu
West Africans are darker than Somalis and also Somalis do not have the 'typical black feature' of a broad (flat) nose - theirs are more pointed like a European. Arabs tend to have a much fairer skin tone than Pakistanis - obviously you have some exceptions such as dark Arabs and light skinned Pakistanis, but this is the general trend. From Pakistanis to Indians it becomes a lot harder - india is ethnically diverse. The dark indians live in the south (so they can be distinguished due to their skin) but the north (western) indians can't be distinguished from Pakistanis due to the proximity of the border and also due to coming from the same area... hope that helps - how can you not tell!?

Ok, so Somalians are dark skinned white people. I always assumed that they were darker than West Africans though!... Arggghhh this is going to take me ages to learn.

And whenever I try to guess where someone is from based on skin colour, I usually get it horribly wrong. There's this girl who I thought was Arab, and turns out she was Pakistani. Don't get me started on India or Africa - skin colours can range from coal black to Mariah Carey! And then there's the chances that the person in question is just mixed.

I can tell the difference in written dialects between French-Spanish-Italian-Arabic... but Persian Serbian Russian? How do you even?... Guess I wasn't born to be geographically cultured. At least I can tell Chinese, Japanese and Malaysians apart?
Reply 32
Original post by Fabz_x
Even i could do thatt:colone:

Its bengali, :smile:

I never said it to show off or anything - as I said, I thought it was common sense :wink:

Your test (obviously without checking anything) - distinguish which language is which:

أردت أن أقرأ كتابا عن تاريخ المرأة في فرنسا : Sample 1

بَرابَر پَیدا ہوئے ہَیں۔ اُنہیں ضَمیر اَور عَقل : Sample 2

می*آیند و حیثیت و حقوقشان با هم برابر است، همهٔ*شان : Sample 3

Who knows, you might secretly be able to read it without me knowing that you know :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Swanbow
Somali's and Ethiopians look very similar, usually more sharp noses and distinctive facial features. But yeah I'm not that great at guessing where people are from by looking at them either, never make assumptions.

Somali is an ethnic group but Ethiopia isn't. Ethiopia has hundreds of different ethnic groups
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_groups_in_Ethiopia
It is often thought that black people are all the same, but Sub Saharan Africa has much more genetic diversity than the rest of the world put together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Another
Ok, so Somalians are dark skinned white people. I always assumed that they were darker than West Africans though!... Arggghhh this is going to take me ages to learn.

And whenever I try to guess where someone is from based on skin colour, I usually get it horribly wrong. There's this girl who I thought was Arab, and turns out she was Pakistani. Don't get me started on India or Africa - skin colours can range from coal black to Mariah Carey! And then there's the chances that the person in question is just mixed.

I can tell the difference in written dialects between French-Spanish-Italian-Arabic... but Persian Serbian Russian? How do you even?... *Guess I wasn't born to be geographically cultured. At least I can tell Chinese, Japanese and Malaysians apart?

I wasn't *this however I just love understanding cultures, langauges and humans etc so I just randomly read some s**t on it all and now I know (as well as general observation as mentioned before) :redface:
Reply 35
Original post by Ornlu
I never said it to show off or anything - as I said, I thought it was common sense :wink:

Your test (obviously without checking anything) - distinguish which language is which:

أردت أن أقرأ كتابا عن تاريخ المرأة في فرنسا :s-smilie:ample 1

بَرابَر پَیدا ہوئے ہَیں۔ اُنہیں ضَمیر اَور عَقل :s-smilie:ample 2

می*آیند و حیثیت و حقوقشان با هم برابر است، همهٔ*شان :s-smilie:ample 3

Who knows, you might secretly be able to read it without me knowing that you know :biggrin:

1. arabic.
2.urdu.
3. turkish?:confused: idk lool
Reply 36
Original post by Fabz_x
1. arabic.
2.urdu.
3. turkish?:confused: idk lool

Arabic :congrats:
Urdu :congrats:
Persian (Farsi) :eek:

On the whole, well done :smile: Note: Turks use latin script with various umlauts and some other accents...

Edit: My test post wasn't meant to have all those :s-smilie: faces - damn auto smiley changed my text from : Sample to :s-smilie:ample
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Ornlu
I thought it was common sense; anyone with two eyes and a mind to ponder could have deduced it as I have, no!? I do want to generalise that as a British Asian I'm more enclined to be more 'worldly', however I'm not sure if my fellow brownies would back me up by saying they deduced just as much... Would it be more excessive if I told you that I could (usually) successfully guess what language people were speaking/ writing in withought knowing more than a sentance in any other language or is this normal? :colondollar:

Which language is this:

gorgortanka shaqada la qabayano
Reply 38
Original post by Ornlu

On the whole, well done :smile: Note: Turks use latin script with various umlauts and some other accents...

Edit: My test post wasn't meant to have all those :s-smilie: faces - damn auto smiley changed my text from : Sample to :s-smilie:ample

Turkish used to be written in the persio arabic script. What about
1. Ma kam gana Iqbalkaha gaeko thie. (Supposed to be in devenagari script)
2. Kem cho (your arch rivals)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by Ornlu

Oh haha, oops on the last one D:
How do you know all this?:eek::confused:

Your turn..
1. أ一位攀附着的手,让鲜花的香味。
2. 残り物には福がある
2. 사랑 하는 더, 당신이 얻을 무서 하기 때문에 중요 사람은 사람의 손실을 더욱을 다치게 이다.”

^ That will be harddd, hahah :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending