The Student Room Group

Imperial Medicine Applicants-2014 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by medicinebabe
Hello guys
i have finished my IB exams and i am holding an unconditional offer for deferred entry at Imperial, meaning for 2014 like you!!!

if you have ANY questions for bmat, ukcat, imperial please feel free to ask!

and from someone who passed the application cycle i wish you all good luck and stay positive throughout the year!

Mind posting your applicant profile? :smile: Like GCSE grades, IB grades, BMAT, extracurricular activities?
Congrats on that offer! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophiemed
Mind posting your applicant profile? :smile: Like GCSE grades, IB grades, BMAT, extracurricular activities?
Congrats on that offer! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 41 in my ib with 7 in chemistry 7 in biology and 6 in math HL ( my offer was 38 with 6 in bio and 6 in chem)
i also got a gcse in physics with A*
my bmat was 4.7 in section 1
5.9 in section 2
and 4 with A in section 3
extracurricular: couple of hospitals and surgeries
special olympics volunteer
volunteer at a shelter for kids
voleyball player
dance and some other minor ones
Reply 22
I got 41 in my ib with 7 in chemistry 7 in biology and 6 in math HL ( my offer was 38 with 6 in bio and 6 in chem)
i also got a gcse in physics with A*
my bmat was 4.7 in section 1
5.9 in section 2
and 4 with A in section 3
extracurricular: couple of hospitals and surgeries
special olympics volunteer
volunteer at a shelter for kids
voleyball player
dance and some other minor ones

Hey :smile: i do the IB as well :smile: Congrats. What was interview like, and for Imperial's interviews specifically how would you recommend you prepare (I know I haven't even applied yet but would be nice to know what they look for).

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DrumChops
Hey :smile: i do the IB as well :smile: Congrats. What was interview like, and for Imperial's interviews specifically how would you recommend you prepare (I know I haven't even applied yet but would be nice to know what they look for).

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

The interview was fairly relaxed and the panel was pleasant and calming! You dont have to prepare in a particular way, just be ready to answer questions around the choice of medicine as a career and questions for your extracurriculars! I wish you all the best and hope we meet next year!!!
Reply 24
The interview was fairly relaxed and the panel was pleasant and calming! You dont have to prepare in a particular way, just be ready to answer questions around the choice of medicine as a career and questions for your extracurriculars! I wish you all the best and hope we meet next year!!!

thanks! :smile: and hope so too! What are you doing for your gap year?
(edited 10 years ago)
thanks! :smile: and hope so too! What are you doing for your gap year?

I am goinng to find a job to raise some money after christmas
Before christmas i am going to new york for two months.
i will also find an organization o volunteer and try to find doctors that will accept me observing their surgeries and daily routines!
i will also try to learn spanish and guitar
Reply 26
I am goinng to find a job to raise some money after christmas
Before christmas i am going to new york for two months.
i will also find an organization o volunteer and try to find doctors that will accept me observing their surgeries and daily routines!
i will also try to learn spanish and guitar

sounds great, all the best! i find it incredible how you managed to receive a deferred entry offer, since I've heard they're rarely ever given. how did you manage it you reckon? did your PS mention gap year plans?
sounds great, all the best! i find it incredible how you managed to receive a deferred entry offer, since I've heard they're rarely ever given. how did you manage it you reckon? did your PS mention gap year plans?

I initially applied normally for 2013, but because i wouldnt be 18 by october, inperial proposed to me to change my application for deferred entry!! I didnt mention anything in my ps, they asked me during the interview
Reply 28
Hey all ICL hopefuls :tongue: I thought I'd join the band wagon early, Imperial seems amazing. Can I just ask, for anyone that's had experience with the BMAT, roughly how long did you revise for it and did you find yourself rushing/guessing on the day, or were you able to finish the questions in the time per section? Many thanks :smile:
Original post by PG593
Hey all ICL hopefuls :tongue: I thought I'd join the band wagon early, Imperial seems amazing. Can I just ask, for anyone that's had experience with the BMAT, roughly how long did you revise for it and did you find yourself rushing/guessing on the day, or were you able to finish the questions in the time per section? Many thanks :smile:

Hello, i personally studied for bmat from the summer before and revised the last week!!! I finished section 1 and 3 normally

in section 2 i guessed a couple of physics and math questions but ended up getting 5.9

So do not stress about bmat!!!!!!!!!
Hey guys,

Having been where you guys are every little helps, i'm currently a first year at imps (will be a second year come september wooo) and am happy to answer any questions you might have! Applying for medicine is definitely demanding but so worth it!

Good luck

XOXO
As a current Imperial student, I would advise you pick UCL
Reply 32
Original post by Toiletpaper8
As a current Imperial student, I would advise you pick UCL

As a medical student or just an Imperial student in general? If the former, what is it you don't like about the medical school compared to UCL?
Original post by PG593
As a medical student or just an Imperial student in general? If the former, what is it you don't like about the medical school compared to UCL?

i'm not saying imperial is a bad place to be. i would just prefer the social scene at ucl. the union bar isn't particularly good, and the medical school bar, the reynolds... is now only open on demand as nobody goes. bops every other friday have had some dire turnouts of late... where about 10 people are present, including bar staff. people work too hard. i'm not saying imperial medics don't have fun, because we do, but we have to organise our own fun a lot of the time.

ucl has a better mix of students because it isn't just a science uni filled with science students, where outside of medicine the male to female ratio is abysmal... imagine doing physics here... it's like a dead zone outside of medicine. however, while i can't speak from much experience of the ucl side, i just can't imagine it being socially worse than this. from an academic perspective though, the hospitals and the teaching... i can't complain.

but, ucl does have a better organised first clinical year... we have 3 rotations, and it's a bit of a lottery what you get to see and experience. additionally, there are some more bsc choices, like, should you want to, you can do history of medicine for the whole year. though that's all small print. imperial isn't a bad place. i'd still rather be here than somewhere like notts, for example, just because it is london and i love london, we do have what i consider excellent teaching and great hospital placements, but if i knew back then what i know now, i'd have picked ucl.

but each to their own, really. i mean, i'm not unhappy at imperial, and i would say most of the med school do have a great time. i just wouldn't do any subject other than medicine at imperial. whereas i'd be happy doing any subject at ucl.
Reply 34
i'm not saying imperial is a bad place to be. i would just prefer the social scene at ucl. the union bar isn't particularly good, and the medical school bar, the reynolds... is now only open on demand as nobody goes. bops every other friday have had some dire turnouts of late... where about 10 people are present, including bar staff. people work too hard. i'm not saying imperial medics don't have fun, because we do, but we have to organise our own fun a lot of the time.

ucl has a better mix of students because it isn't just a science uni filled with science students, where outside of medicine the male to female ratio is abysmal... imagine doing physics here... it's like a dead zone outside of medicine. however, while i can't speak from much experience of the ucl side, i just can't imagine it being socially worse than this. from an academic perspective though, the hospitals and the teaching... i can't complain.

but, ucl does have a better organised first clinical year... we have 3 rotations, and it's a bit of a lottery what you get to see and experience. additionally, there are some more bsc choices, like, should you want to, you can do history of medicine for the whole year. though that's all small print. imperial isn't a bad place. i'd still rather be here than somewhere like notts, for example, just because it is london and i love london, we do have what i consider excellent teaching and great hospital placements, but if i knew back then what i know now, i'd have picked ucl.

but each to their own, really. i mean, i'm not unhappy at imperial, and i would say most of the med school do have a great time. i just wouldn't do any subject other than medicine at imperial. whereas i'd be happy doing any subject at ucl.

Those are all fair points and it's good to hear from a medic themselves there. To be honest I have heard a similar story from others, my parents who both went to imperial said it's a bit of a cold place but I hope that times have changed. It's crazy when one spends so much time analysing the best routes to get into medicine, you forget about the University experience too, thanks for the advice. I'll give it a good think but in all fairness, getting into any of the London Medical Schools I would scream with joy out in Oxford Street! :biggrin:
Original post by PG593
Those are all fair points and it's good to hear from a medic themselves there. To be honest I have heard a similar story from others, my parents who both went to imperial said it's a bit of a cold place but I hope that times have changed. It's crazy when one spends so much time analysing the best routes to get into medicine, you forget about the University experience too, thanks for the advice. I'll give it a good think but in all fairness, getting into any of the London Medical Schools I would scream with joy out in Oxford Street! :biggrin:

on the other hand... if you go to imperial and apply for wilson house as your hall of residence, you're only a 10 minute walk from oxford street :smile: and, you get a lovely walk through hyde park every morning.

london really is the ****, and imperial does have a pretty amazing location haha. good luck with your application, and i hope you're fortunate enough to be given the luxury of choice, in london :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
on the other hand... if you go to imperial and apply for wilson house as your hall of residence, you're only a 10 minute walk from oxford street :smile: and, you get a lovely walk through hyde park every morning.

london really is the ****, and imperial does have a pretty amazing location haha. good luck with your application, and i hope you're fortunate enough to be given the luxury of choice, in london :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Amen to that :smile: I'd be orgasmic happy to go to either one haha, but I will only be gambling on one Bmat university. Cheers, London has always been my home, really hope I can stay here :tongue:
Hey everybody, I'm going into my 3rd year of medicine at Imperial now. If you have any questions just let me know !
Original post by StandardDeviant
Hey everybody, I'm going into my 3rd year of medicine at Imperial now. If you have any questions just let me know !

As a medic how do you find the student life there? So I mean the social life as well as the academic side of it. And if you had a choice would you pick another med school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thinking of applying as a graduate-anyone know how favourable they are for grads on the standard course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending