The Student Room Group

when do you get the letter?

I sent my DSA form last/ two weeks ago and was wondering when I would likely get the letter saying whether or not i am entitled (or not) which i should be entitled to.

But i am wondering when i would receive the letter.

Thanks in advance
Have you been for your assessment yet? You have to attend an assessment in person.
I just applied for DSA and it said online that a letter will be sent within a few weeks telling you if you're entitled to DSA or not. (As they have to check it all and check evidence etc).

Then you have to go for an assessment, then you get a report which is sent to student finance etc, then student finance agree to the report.

The whole process can take 14 weeks!
Reply 3
I applied for DSA in early March and didn't get my letter telling me I am entitled to support until mid May (I had to phone up to check it was meant to take this long as well). I think this stage takes the longest though, because it was really quick to organise my assessment and then get my report afterwards. :smile:
Reply 4
Have needs assessment on Monday as I have dyslexia and dyspraxia effect me a lot sorta showed in my most reasons economics exam as miss read a question what software are the likely to recommend of a dyslexic and chance of a laptop
Reply 5
Software like texthelp Read & Write, Inspiration mind mapping, Dragon voice recognition. Strategies for support like tutor support to develop exam technique, pacing and assist with proof reading etc. Laptops are quite common place if they are needed.
Reply 6
It took mine nearly 2 months. I've not long had my assessment and I've just had the report through detailing what equipment I'm entitled to.

Honestly, don't worry about it - it will come even though it feels like it's taking ages.

Original post by Em2803
Have needs assessment on Monday as I have dyslexia and dyspraxia effect me a lot sorta showed in my most reasons economics exam as miss read a question what software are the likely to recommend of a dyslexic and chance of a laptop

I'm dyspraxic too (although not dyslexic). Not sure on what software they will recommend but if you say you don't have a laptop then they'll more than likely offer you one. I said that (which isn't entirely true but my laptop is over 4 years old now so it's getting pretty knackered, the battery won't charge, the plastics are cracked etc) and I was offered one.

I was offered the LiveScribe thing (google it) and some essay planning software as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by sabian92
It took mine nearly 2 months. I've not long had my assessment and I've just had the report through detailing what equipment I'm entitled to.

Honestly, don't worry about it - it will come even though it feels like it's taking ages.

I'm dyspraxic too (although not dyslexic). Not sure on what software they will recommend but if you say you don't have a laptop then they'll more than likely offer you one. I said that (which isn't entirely true but my laptop is over 4 years old now so it's getting pretty knackered, the battery won't charge, the plastics are cracked etc) and I was offered one.

I was offered the LiveScribe thing (google it) and some essay planning software as well.

Do you know if I'll receive a laptop? I applied for DSA with my first Degree in 2008, received a desktop. Going to study a second degree in Radiography, just applied for DSA. Desktop not suitable for me, any idea if they'll give me a laptop?
Reply 8
Original post by kalire
Do you know if I'll receive a laptop? I applied for DSA with my first Degree in 2008, received a desktop. Going to study a second degree in Radiography, just applied for DSA. Desktop not suitable for me, any idea if they'll give me a laptop?

Eh... possibly not. If you've had your lot of funding the first time they don't give it to you the second time from what I understand. They might do depending on your circumstances (and how much you got the first time) but honestly I can't tell you with any degree of accuracy as I've only applied once.

Student Finance might write to you and tell you no, they might say yes. I genuinely don't know.
Reply 9
Original post by sabian92
Eh... possibly not. If you've had your lot of funding the first time they don't give it to you the second time from what I understand. They might do depending on your circumstances (and how much you got the first time) but honestly I can't tell you with any degree of accuracy as I've only applied once.

Student Finance might write to you and tell you no, they might say yes. I genuinely don't know.

Thank you, I'll just have to wait and see.

Quick Reply

Latest