The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iainvg
Nope. Statistically, the average is still 22".

Oh my, so the 24 inch monitor I ordered is gargantuan.
I have never seen any evidence that the CPU manufacturer has any impact on the GPU performance.

The other thing I would say is the choice of CPU, unless you really need the high multithreaded performance the i5 7600k would be the better choice given it is overclockable and has slightly better performance for operations that do not heavily utilise multithreading with the added bonus of a free game and £50 savings. Obviously a different mobo would be needed.
Do you need to, almost certainly not. Is it hard, not at all unless going super hardcore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which one should i get Dell xps 15 or Asus?

I will be using it for League of legends, watching movies and maybe work. The Asus has better specs overall but has a poor screen whilst XPS has an excellent screen. Which one should i get guys?

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asus-15.6-inch-ci5-7300hq-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-nvidia-gt1050-4gb-dvdrw-fhd-w-fx553vd-dm627t/version.asp#/specs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018FSX3C0/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1
Am I getting ripped off for this computer, it is roughly £600:
i7-7700 processor (8m cache, up to 4.2ghz)
16gb RAM AMD Radeon rx 560 graphics card
1TB 7200 rpm sata HDD
windows 10 home

My current computer is from 2011 and is getting very slow so looking for something new now I have a job. Sad it's windows 10 as I prefer 7 but other than that I'd really appreciate some input before I buy. Last computer my wife bought was a total lemon. Thanks! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
1TB 7200 rpm sata HDD
windows 10 home

My current computer is from 2011 and is getting very slow so looking for something new now I have a job. Sad it's windows 10 as I prefer 7 but other than that I'd really appreciate some input before I buy. Last computer my wife bought was a total lemon. Thanks! :smile:

Seems overpriced but not massively. How old is it? Is the case nice? What ram is it ddr 4 or ddr3?
Original post by Osiris Wintereisse
Seems overpriced but not massively. How old is it? Is the case nice? What ram is it ddr 4 or ddr3?

It's new, and ddr4 ram. Also has usb3 ports and a usb3.1 port which I thought was nice though probably standard idk... :colondollar:
(edited 6 years ago)
1TB 7200 rpm sata HDD
windows 10 home

Windows 10 is fine these days, no need to worry about that really.

As above, looks a little pricier than it would normally fetch and the ratio of CPU tier to GPU tier is a bit skewed, but it's not horrible. If you're willing to try a self build, let us know what you want to use it for and we can spec some part lists out for you.
When you say the ratio is skewed is that in favor of the CPU or GPU?

I cba with a self build :tongue: but thank you for the offer. Maybe one day. :moon:
Also, I find your signature gif hilarious :biggrin:
When you say the ratio is skewed is that in favor of the CPU or GPU?

As a general rule you want to be spending more money on your graphics card than your processor in a gaming-oriented build, since the GPU has a far greater effect on performance and become a bottleneck earlier. In this case the i7-7700 costs about twice as much as the RX560, whereas I'd have spent ~£280 on the graphics and ~£140 on the processor if I was putting that build together.

I cba with a self build :tongue: but thank you for the offer. Maybe one day. :moon:

No worries :yy:
I see. :beard: thank you for explaining.
My wife bought a really expensive graphics card for her old pc which doesn't fit in her new slim one so if I encountered problems do you think I could just switch that in? I'd have to dig it out (no idea what it is) and it kind of defeats the object of paying 600...... thank you for your help. :smile:
What do you think of my new build :

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/9V9DGf

Just ordered it now.
I’m thinking about buying a HP Stream 14 but it only has 32GB which I’m worried would not be enough for sims and uni work etc.

Could I buy a SD Card and store sims 3 on there to increase my storage?
Original post by ally2000
I’m thinking about buying a HP Stream 14 but it only has 32GB which I’m worried would not be enough for sims and uni work etc.

Could I buy a SD Card and store sims 3 on there to increase my storage?

If you're able to run Sims 3 off an SD card at all, I doubt it would not be a pleasant experience. What's your budget?
Reply 975
Hi,

I currently have a HP Stream 14 with 32GB, I would certainly suggest avoid buying, especially for gaming.

It's OK for doing simple, low end tasks, i.e emailing, some social media, writing documents. Anything more than this it will struggle. I've had it for a few years and every time I need to install new applications, windows updates, store files etc it just doesn't have enough disk space.

Even browsing with a few tabs 5+ , can begin to make the laptop slow down.

It's a real headache. Sure, space can be added with an SD card, which for music, films, document files be ok but not gaming.
Original post by westty
Hi,

I currently have a HP Stream 14 with 32GB, I would certainly suggest avoid buying, especially for gaming.

It's OK for doing simple, low end tasks, i.e emailing, some social media, writing documents. Anything more than this it will struggle. I've had it for a few years and every time I need to install new applications, windows updates, store files etc it just doesn't have enough disk space.

Even browsing with a few tabs 5+ , can begin to make the laptop slow down.

It's a real headache. Sure, space can be added with an SD card, which for music, films, document files be ok but not gaming.

The stream wasn't going to be one of my suggestions, I was asking for a budget to make alternative recommendations :yep:
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi all,

Before I bother someone with my stupid questions, is this still the best place to ask someone for some PC building advice?
Original post by Evil Homer
Hi all,

Before I bother someone with my stupid questions, is this still the best place to ask someone for some PC building advice?

Since the thread is so old (and most people have left), I'd wager it's better to post a new thread. I'd answer either way, but you might get more varied responses by posting a new thread.

Latest

Trending

Trending