The Student Room Group

Anyone considering a gap year - PLEASE DO IT!

I was recently talking to a close friend who is currently sitting her A-Levels who was umm and ahhhing about taking a gap year, and thought I should share the pep talk I gave her.

I am currently on a gap year, working abroad. It is the best thing I have ever done. I really cannot recommend anything more strongly than taking a gap year and doing something worthwhile with it. You have the whole of your life ahead of you, for many this is the only window where you will not be studying, working or sucking on your false teeth in a nursing home. If you work abroad and find something worthwhile then it can cost you nothing. If you are strong (something I am not unfortunately) and manage to save, you will even EARN money while doing something you will remember forever. If money isn't an issue, then travel, travel, travel. Luckily my "work" as an au pair has taken me to a location I personally find idyllic. There is so much diversity where I live, it is so different to the UK and although I miss home, I will miss the openness and ambiance of where I currently live. However if I could take a second gap year in order to just travel, I would... however university and fear of losing the last of my remaining braincells that actually hold something "worthwhile" stops me.

What negatives can happen? Personally... I know you hear crap about "finding yourself"... but I can honestly say that has happened. I have met amazing people from all over the world, built close relationships with people completely different to those I already have... and obviously had a ton of fun along the way. I am much happier and confidant within myself and I feel much more prepared to go it alone at uni. I have discovered things about myself, what I want from life and what I don't. What I personally find important. It has really motivated me to work harder too... I actually MISS studying and realise how worthwhile it is now, more than before.

I will be returning home in 2 months... and even thinking about that is making me well up. I don't want to leave. The people, the place... I am extremely excited about university, don't get me wrong... but taking a gap year has been one of the best decisions I ever made. I can't even begin to describe how happy I am I decided to just say "**** it" to myself and go against parental pressures and the head of school making me feel like lazy bum... and go for this anyway.

For some background info, I come from a normal family on what would probably be classed as below average income. You do not need to be rich and wealthy to take a gap year.

You really do have just one life... you don't need to rush into things. One year of enjoyment and personal development is not going to kill you. Taking a gap year in between college and university... just do it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cool story bro

EDIT: 'sis'
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I agree! I took a gap year and have spent most my time in Australia and am now actually considering taking one more year out. I'm enjoying my self too much to leave!
Reply 3
Im going to book with STA working holiday to australia for next may when I finish Uni cant waitt
x2!!

I took a gap year and was amazing. I am not going to write an essay on here as I've done that so many times about gap years. It was simply amazing though and if you ever have any questions at all about gap years or travelling etc, do not hesitate at all to ask me. I will definitely gladly help with any questions!
Reply 5
I am an international student and have decided to take a gap year. I'm having difficulty looking for a job. I have no idea where to start. Could anyone give me some advice? Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by lou321lou
I agree! I took a gap year and have spent most my time in Australia and am now actually considering taking one more year out. I'm enjoying my self too much to leave!

I may have to take a gap year as well and wanted to know how you finance it. Any tips.:smile:
Reply 7
I wanna take a gap year and work in America, heard it isn't possible though...
Im in a similar situation where i have finished A levels and would love to go abroad but i just dont know where to start. I believe it may be a little late now though...

I wish to make money during the gap year, so a job abroad, enough to pay for some living costs in uni. I am going to be applying medicine so I have to do the UKCAT and make a good personal statement, and also a back up one for a different course for if i dont get the grades or the UKCAT score required.

If i do go on a gap year abroad, i have a fear that in the middle i will be called for an interview meaning i have to spend a lot of money going all the way back to the UK, taking the interview and then going all the way back. If there are several interviews, then it will be several trips.

Any ideas on how i should go about doing all this?
Reply 9
Original post by KSVGE
I wanna take a gap year and work in America, heard it isn't possible though...

it is! i havent looked to deeply into it but it can happen , do some research , i saw some results when googling
i concidered a gap year but am going to uni instead , i think thats the best option for me as i want to start my career as soon as possible and dont have any moneyn either
Original post by Moura
I was recently talking to a close friend who is currently sitting her A-Levels who was umm and ahhhing about taking a gap year, and thought I should share the pep talk I gave her.

I am currently on a gap year, working abroad. It is the best thing I have ever done. I really cannot recommend anything more strongly than taking a gap year and doing something worthwhile with it. You have the whole of your life ahead of you, for many this is the only window where you will not be studying, working or sucking on your false teeth in a nursing home. If you work abroad and find something worthwhile then it can cost you nothing. If you are strong (something I am not unfortunately) and manage to save, you will even EARN money while doing something you will remember forever. If money isn't an issue, then travel, travel, travel. Luckily my "work" as an au pair has taken me to a location I personally find idyllic. There is so much diversity where I live, it is so different to the UK and although I miss home, I will miss the openness and ambiance of where I currently live. However if I could take a second gap year in order to just travel, I would... however university and fear of losing the last of my remaining braincells that actually hold something "worthwhile" stops me.

What negatives can happen? Personally... I know you hear crap about "finding yourself"... but I can honestly say that has happened. I have met amazing people from all over the world, built close relationships with people completely different to those I already have... and obviously had a ton of fun along the way. I am much happier and confidant within myself and I feel much more prepared to go it alone at uni. I have discovered things about myself, what I want from life and what I don't. What I personally find important. It has really motivated me to work harder too... I actually MISS studying and realise how worthwhile it is now, more than before.

I will be returning home in 2 months... and even thinking about that is making me well up. I don't want to leave. The people, the place... I am extremely excited about university, don't get me wrong... but taking a gap year has been one of the best decisions I ever made. I can't even begin to describe how happy I am I decided to just say "**** it" to myself and go against parental pressures and the head of school making me feel like lazy bum... and go for this anyway.

For some background info, I come from a normal family on what would probably be classed as below average income. You do not need to be rich and wealthy to take a gap year.

You really do have just one life... you don't need to rush into things. One year of enjoyment and personal development is not going to kill you. Taking a gap year in between college and university... just do it.

Just had to point out your spelling hasn't improved on your gap year. :tongue:
Also you do have to worry about studying as well, if your retaking a subject. :frown:

Only kidding, it sounds great! Where did you go?
Reply 11
Original post by Blueray2
Just had to point out your spelling hasn't improved on your gap year. :tongue:
Also you do have to worry about studying as well, if your retaking a subject. :frown:

Only kidding, it sounds great! Where did you go?

haha well i haven't written properly in a long time, plus two other languages here can get your brain a bit messed up... forget spelling, my entire ability to speak english is now kind of embarassing... a lot of people i know only speak english as a second language so i speak in a simple way now, it's weird!

i didn't retake a subject, but i think what i am doing would be difficult if i had for me, because i lack self dicipline.

i am in france.
Original post by Moura
haha well i haven't written properly in a long time, plus two other languages here can get your brain a bit messed up... forget spelling, my entire ability to speak english is now kind of embarassing... a lot of people i know only speak english as a second language so i speak in a simple way now, it's weird!

i didn't retake a subject, but i think what i am doing would be difficult if i had for me, because i lack self dicipline.

i am in france.
So the point i'm making is don't bother traveling if your re taking a subject? Or not? :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Original post by Blueray2
So the point i'm making is don't bother traveling if your re taking a subject? Or not? :s-smilie:

no, it is down to the individual and circumstances... i know myself, and i know if i had had to retake a subject while also being here... i wouldn't have studied. even in the school environment i was bad enough at studying and revising... i can't begin to imagine how i would be here. also with being an au pair, it'd be difficult for me to go home and get the space and peace and quiet to revise and sit the exam.
Hey :biggrin:

If you take a gap year I know that unis expect you to do many useful things but are you expected to travel ? If you just do things in the same country/locally do you think they will ask why you didn't go abroad or will find it a bit strange that you just stayed in the same country. I can get a lot of experience in this country but I'm just wondering if I would be expected to travel. Similarly, with respect to medicine/ dentistry courses would they expect you to go abroad e.g. to Less Economically Developed Countries ...surely its the experience though and not where you go ? Or is it just a choice thing with most people always deciding to go abroad in order to broaden their horizons and get maybe 'different' experiences
Original post by A random human
Im in a similar situation where i have finished A levels and would love to go abroad but i just dont know where to start. I believe it may be a little late now though...

I wish to make money during the gap year, so a job abroad, enough to pay for some living costs in uni. I am going to be applying medicine so I have to do the UKCAT and make a good personal statement, and also a back up one for a different course for if i dont get the grades or the UKCAT score required.

If i do go on a gap year abroad, i have a fear that in the middle i will be called for an interview meaning i have to spend a lot of money going all the way back to the UK, taking the interview and then going all the way back. If there are several interviews, then it will be several trips.

Would be really good if someone could answer your 3rd paragraph as it is a very good question! If you get it answered please tell me :cool:
Reply 16
Original post by CasualSoul
Would be really good if someone could answer your 3rd paragraph as it is a very good question! If you get it answered please tell me :cool:

Original post by A random human

well in regards to the whole interview thing, i did have to go back for mine, but i wanted to and had no issue with the dates or anything. i also had the means to do so. if you don't then you would have to contact the university and explain your situation, it depends on their policy so it's not really a general question.
seeing as you seem to want to study medicine or dentistry (judging by the UKCAT), i would imagine the interview would be pretty non-negotiable. i guess you could go somewhere where it's slightly easier to get back home, then once the interviewing is over, go further afield.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by CasualSoul
Hey :biggrin:

If you take a gap year I know that unis expect you to do many useful things but are you expected to travel ? If you just do things in the same country/locally do you think they will ask why you didn't go abroad or will find it a bit strange that you just stayed in the same country. I can get a lot of experience in this country but I'm just wondering if I would be expected to travel. Similarly, with respect to medicine/ dentistry courses would they expect you to go abroad e.g. to Less Economically Developed Countries ...surely its the experience though and not where you go ? Or is it just a choice thing with most people always deciding to go abroad in order to broaden their horizons and get maybe 'different' experiences

useful is subjective and depends on the person. if you need the cash for uni then working for a year in england could be seen as useful. personally i wrote a little explaining about what i was doing in my PS. I got unconditionals for all my unis and i just gave a good reason as to WHY i was doing it. i really don't think it has to be useful, just interesting/justified... but at the end of the day i don't think they really care what you do. if it's competitive course then obviously they don't want to hear you're just dossing around at home for a year, but otherwise...

as for med/dentistry... i've heard of people staying at home getting stuff to put in their PS like work experience, HCA work etc. in england.
Reply 18
I'm actually coming towards the end of my gap year too, and my overprotective parents have prevented me from travelling. I have been working and really enjoying it, also getting to meet lots of new people through work, done a few courses and started making youtube videos! However I wondered if anyone could advise me on having adventures at home for the last few months before I leave for university? Or even on how to persuade my parents to let me go travelling alone/with my sister for a few weeks at the end of summer? Any help would be really appreciated. I don't want to regret not making the most of my gap year. Glad those of you who are also on gap years are really enjoying your time too :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Moura

Hey, it's good to read your story and try and comfort myself that taking a gap year wont be waste of time.

How can you do it for free? all the volunteering abroad programmes I've looked at cost a lot of money, money which I don't have :frown:.

Quick Reply

Latest