Law Watch

This discussion is closed.
Naraty
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
But to do well in NUS is very, very hard. And I'm lazy heh. Also, studying overseas is so much more refreshing, compared to what our study system is like here, albeit a lot more expensive. And isn't conversion course only 6 months? Btw, what course and where are you going to study?

lilsunflower: When are you going to Durham? The place sounds really quaint. Oh well..

Edit: Grammar
Baby_Angelz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Naraty)
But to do well in NUS is very, very hard. And I'm lazy heh. Also, studying overseas is so much more refreshing, compared to what our study system is like here, albeit a lot more expensive. And isn't conversion course only 6 months? Btw, what course and where are you going to study?
If I am not wrong, there's still the Singapore Bar and the Pupillage, have you factor those in? You can't practise in Singapore without going through the Singapore Bar.

I think studying anywhere is hard At least NUS do 'spoonfeed' abit according to my friends. In UK, you probably are required to source out textbooks and decipher contradicting texts by different authors i.e. Gary Slapper, Michael Zander, Dwokin.

I am applying to UK to study law in the year 2005, reason being my grades doesn't allow me to go into NUS Law. I am still deciding over Manchester, Sheffield and Exeter.

But seriously, if you can, I would advise you to study in NUS. You can also do attachments in big firms like Drew and Napier and after you graduate, there will be a higher chance that they will take you in and you will also have a better understanding of the Singapore Legal System.

P.S. UK Legal System is somewhat different from Singapore. I.e. In UK, there is the PACE for Police while in Sg, there is the Penal Code. I believe you should understand what i mean.
Naraty
Hmm, pupillage traditionally takes around six months? I am a little hazy on what the Bar requires though.

From what I've heard, law graduates from the UK get attached to British firms that are based in Singapore (i.e Allen and Gledhill which just merged with Linklaters, Norton Rose etc). Really good graduates only though.

Plus, I live two minutes from NUS. Talk about boring.
Baby_Angelz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hmm, pupillage traditionally takes around six months? I am a little hazy on what the Bar requires though.

From what I've heard, law graduates from the UK get attached to British firms that are based in Singapore (i.e Allen and Gledhill which just merged with Linklaters, Norton Rose etc). Really good graduates only though.

Plus, I live two minutes from NUS. Talk about boring.
Maybe you can do some read ups on this website.. it's quite helpful
http://www.lawsoc.org.sg/ble/

That I am not sure, but I know that the University of Southampton do have links with the Singaporean Criminal Legal Aid Scheme (CLAS). Check this out, http://www.law.soton.ac.uk/international/slas.htm

Yes, I do understand that most singapore student yearn to have the freedom to 'escape from the clutches of their parents' (just kiddin' - I mean to say, just to have a little freedom of their own) :P
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hmm.. NUS. We all know how good it is.. but as you said, it's so HARD to do well there. It's crammed with top JC students, mostly Singaporeans.. and it's hard to have breathing space there.

You'll be in the same country.
With the same classmates.
The same mentality.

Booooorrrring. That's why I left Singapore despite my ASEAN scholarship. If you can afford it, I would definitely recommend the UK. I'll be paying 15,000 pounds p.a. if I go to Durham which is very affordable. Of course, LSE would cripple you
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
lilsunflower: When are you going to Durham? The place sounds really quaint. Oh well..
October 2004. I have an ABC offer there.. but still working hard to get 6As... LOOKING FORWARD!! Btw.. are you in J1 or J2 now?
Baby_Angelz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Hmm.. NUS. We all know how good it is.. but as you said, it's so HARD to do well there. It's crammed with top JC students, mostly Singaporeans.. and it's hard to have breathing space there.

You'll be in the same country.
With the same classmates.
The same mentality.
Yes, true, but people have survived and graduate with flying colours. So what makes you think you can't? And don't forget if you graduate with a 2:2 from NUS, you can still go to the Singapore Bar whereas you will need a 2:1 from any of the recognised UK Uni.

And what makes you think that it's less competitive in UK? I highly doubt so.

I rather the money be spent in coming to UK for a LLM or PHD or even to attain the honour of being a barrister.
Naraty
I'm actually in NS..You're pretty smart eh? 6A's is impressive

If I do choose Durham, I'll be headed there in 2006. Thats so far in the future its sucky.

Haha, if the UK ain't more competitive, least its a change of surrounding. I can't even describe what its like to go to school next door. Also, very few get first class honours from NUS as well..

Where's this Vitriol fella I've been seeing around, he sounds pretty informed. Come in!
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
This response is based on personal experience, and should by no means be taken as a rule of thumb.

After leaving Singapore, graduating from the supposed "best" girls' school in Singapore, I vowed never to return again. I found the education system punitive, stifling, and lacking in personal development. Compulsary CCA ticked me off - especially where sports raked in more points that others. Detention for wearing earrings larger than 0.5cm in diameter; having to perform derogatory tasks such as cleaning toilets for a 'loose' belt or misplacing a name tag; teachers NOT remembering your name after teaching you for 2 years.... those are the things I will always remember. And if you treat 16 year olds like that, how do you expect them to grow up?

Words such as "stress", "depression" are all commonly used even at secondary school level. Surely this is not good for a country where teenagers are evidently extremely smart and capable.. something must be wrong?

As such, I feel that it is necessary to pull out of this system, if finances allow so that you can have a greater perspective of the world. Nearly all legal systems draw their roots from the British legal system, and Britain has a wonderful history that never fails to amaze me. You meet different people from all over the world, and you're in a more liberal kind of society... the fact that Britain does not have the death penalty contrasts with Singapore's stance on crime. Just chatting on these forums, I admire the sort of intellectuals that the British education system produces. They think laterally and beyond the books. I feel that Singapore does not do this... I was astounded that my History teacher in Singapore mispronounced worlds like "epitome = e-pi-tome", "Versailles = Ver-sa-ills", "Ypres = Wipers" and the classic "skilled = skill-ded", "bourgeoisie = bore-geo-sy"... ARGH! Bad memories. I shudder to think of the potential mispronounced Latin and French..

End of rant..
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No. Just doing subjects I like and never got the chance to do in Singapore. I do Econs, Lit, History now. Thankfully, Singapore's strict Maths classes explain my success in Maths and F Maths. Honestly, the Maths I do now, is not even as hard as Add Maths in Sec 4!!! Lolz...

Btw.. which Jc did you go to?
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No. Just doing subjects I like and never got the chance to do in Singapore. I do Econs, Lit, History now. Thankfully, Singapore's strict Maths classes explain my success in Maths and F Maths. Honestly, the Maths I do now, is not even as hard as Add Maths in Sec 4!!! Lolz...

Btw.. which JC did you go to?
Baby_Angelz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

If I do choose Durham, I'll be headed there in 2006. Thats so far in the future its sucky.

Haha, if the UK ain't more competitive, least its a change of surrounding. I can't even describe what its like to go to school next door. Also, very few get first class honours from NUS as well..

Where's this Vitriol fella I've been seeing around, he sounds pretty informed. Come in!
haha.. I'm also in NS, which camp?

I am doing reconanaissance for the armour. Ever thought of disrupting?
Naraty
Haha, I can't say what JC I'm from..secret Anyway, what you said is precisely why I want to get out of Singapore. The timetable in the UK for my course is around ten hours per week with plenty of time for self study.

Anyway, I'm at camp chionging. How do you disrupt from NS to go study anyway? Isn't that only possible with PSC scholarships?
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Haha, I can't say what JC I'm from..secret Anyway, what you said is precisely why I want to get out of Singapore. The timetable in the UK for my course is around ten hours per week with plenty of time for self study.
Yeh I know!! I'm a believer in self-study... none of the teacher breathing down your neck [email protected] Lolz.. well anyway, enjoy yourself at camp.
Baby_Angelz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Anyway, I'm at camp chionging. How do you disrupt from NS to go study anyway? Isn't that only possible with PSC scholarships?
Hehe.. 'chionging'! Gone are the days I am gonna take 25 - 30 kg field bags and walk 20 km... (then again, you never know, there's still reservist ) Anyway, I am 2 more months away from ORD. What's your vocation? Which camp? I can give you pretty decent advice on alot of issues

'Isn't that only possible with PSC scholarships?'

That's a misapprehension... Anyone can disrupt... Find out more from your manpower branch (S1 or sometimes refered to as G1)

Anyway, one of my friend disrupted for studies in Imperial College and he's on a Papa Mama Scholarship Another disrupted to University of Melbourne...

But do consider carefully... there's cons for disruptees as well... Think about the implications and consider whether you still want to do it.
Baby_Angelz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Haha, I can't say what JC I'm from..secret
haha... What's so secret about that? I wouldn't want to dig your photo out from my junior's school megazine

Then again, who knows, we might be from the same JC :P
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (111)
14.05%
Excited (76)
9.62%
Worried (151)
19.11%
Terrified (182)
23.04%
Meh (51)
6.46%
Confused (22)
2.78%