The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths AQA Help!

Hey guys, I just did my maths exam and I couldn't get my head around one of the questions, please help me.

1/5 of the jug filled = 250g

4/5 of the jug filled = 550g

What is the weight of the jug? :confused:

Original post by Academic18
Hey guys, I just did my maths exam and I couldn't get my head around one of the questions, please help me.

1/5 of the jug filled = 250g

4/5 of the jug filled = 550g

What is the weight of the jug? :confused:

Jug + 1/5 fill = 250

Jug + 4/5 fill = 550

Subtract

3/5 fill = 300.

Can you take it from there?
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
Jug + 1/5 fill = 250

Jug + 4/5 fill = 550

Subtract

3/5 fill = 300.

Can you take it from there?

No i dnt get it :colondollar:
No i dnt get it :colondollar:

OK.

So 1/5 fill = 100.

Sub into equation 1,

Jug + 100 = 250

So jug = 150.
Reply 4
I get it now thank you :smile: Also how would you work out:

Which is the median value when n=10

1/n n-1 n² √n

I have no clue
I get it now thank you :smile: Also how would you work out:

Which is the median value when n=10

1/n n-1 n² √n

I have no clue

You just had to replace 'n' with '10' and go from there. I think there were 5 values and 'n-1' turned out to be the middle (median) one. It was something like
1/10, √10, 10-1, 10+1, 100

Edit: remembered it was n+1 rather than n
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by LucyTheWeird
You just had to replace 'n' with '10' and go from there. I think there were 5 values and 'n-1' turned out to be the middle (median) one. It was something like
1/10, √10, 10-1, 10+1, 100

Edit: remembered it was n+1 rather than n

Bur how do u knw n-1 is the middle value?
Bur how do u knw n-1 is the middle value?

The question asked what the median would be if n=10
replace 'n' with '10' for all expressions

1/n -> 1/10
√n -> √10
n-1 -> 10-1 = 9
n+1 -> 10+1 = 11
n2 -> 102= 100
In order:
1/10, √10, 9, 11, 100

^ so you see 9 is the middle value, and remembering that it was n-1 you get n-1 as the median :smile:
Reply 8
The question asked what the median would be if n=10
replace 'n' with '10' for all expressions

1/n -> 1/10
√n -> √10
n-1 -> 10-1 = 9
n+1 -> 10+1 = 11
n2 -> 102= 100
In order:
1/10, √10, 9, 11, 100

^ so you see 9 is the middle value, and remembering that it was n-1 you get n-1 as the median :smile:

I get it now thanks...how did u find it?
I get it now thanks...how did u find it?

The exam? I thought it could have been a lot worse, but that might mean the calculator paper will be horrible! :')
Did you get the last question? I got 18√2 but everyone has different answers OTL we can't all be right..
What did you think of the paper?
Reply 10
The exam? I thought it could have been a lot worse, but that might mean the calculator paper will be horrible! :')
Did you get the last question? I got 18√2 but everyone has different answers OTL we can't all be right..
What did you think of the paper?

I thought it was going to be a breeze when i opened the paper, the first few were really easy then it got harder... I didnt get tht last question but i struggled on the inequalities question and also on the graph question where u had to draw a straight line :confused: ..wht did u get?
I thought it was going to be a breeze when i opened the paper, the first few were really easy then it got harder... I didnt get tht last question but i struggled on the inequalities question and also on the graph question where u had to draw a straight line :confused: ..wht did u get?

I think for the solving the quadratic equation one I drew the line of y= x-2. No idea if it's right though! Can't remember how I worked it out either.. my answers were x= -1.6 and x=0.6

Can't remember the inequalities one but I got an answer :redface:
Reply 12
I think for the solving the quadratic equation one I drew the line of y= x-2. No idea if it's right though! Can't remember how I worked it out either.. my answers were x= -1.6 and x=0.6

Can't remember the inequalities one but I got an answer :redface:

Yeah put 1.5 and -1.5 :colondollar: I will probably get 1 mark....i cnt believe i messed up on the jug question! ... Anyways i hope i do better on the second paper and good luck to you :smile:
Reply 13
Yeah put 1.5 and -1.5 :colondollar: I will probably get 1 mark....i cnt believe i messed up on the jug question! ... Anyways i hope i do better on the second paper and good luck to you :smile:

I got the two right above.
For the last question I put 6√ 2 but other people put 12√ 2, I don't know?

And for the straight line I think the answer was -2.3 and 1.3 (well that's what I got)
Reply 14
I don't remember this question 0.0 I sat the exam earlier. Is there anything more to the question? All I remember is the milk question with jugs... 21.7 liters and each jug can be filed with 0.5.. ^^

You'll be ok :smile: good luck to you too! Hopefully you won't need it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ImNormal
I got the two right above.
For the last question I put 6√ 2 but other people put 12√ 2, I don't know?

And for the straight line I think the answer was -2.3 and 1.3 (well that's what I got)

I got 6√ 2 for the final question and lots of my friends did too. I asked my maths teacher after the exam and he said that he worked it out and that 6√2 was the correct answer. :smile:
Reply 17
the median is n-1
What is 3x-15 factorised

Quick Reply

Latest