The Student Room Group

Going to my first house party - what's it like?

Hello :smile: so next week I'm going to my first house party to celebrate the end of GCSEs! I'm quite shy so I've previously not gone to parties when I've been invited :/

So just a few questions really...there's going to be 40 people, and my best friend's throwing it so it's at her place if that's relevant :tongue:

- what's the general atmosphere usually like?
- girls: what do you usually wear? at the last party my friend had she said people came in dresses/skirts
- guys: do you look to just get off with a girl that night? if so, what attracts you to the girl?

just curious and i wanna know what to expect!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chocolate Mousse
Hello :smile: so next week I'm going to my first house party to celebrate the end of GCSEs! I'm quite shy so I've previously not gone to parties when I've been invited :/

So just a few questions really...there's going to be 40 people, and my best friend's throwing it so it's at her place if that's relevant :tongue:

- girls: what do you usually wear? at the last party my friend had she said people came in dresses/skirts
- guys: do you look to just get off with a girl that night? if so, what attracts you to the girl?

As long as your friends are there you'll be fine, because you are less likely to be shy around people you know. I used to wear dresses and skirts to house parties if they are larger ones, if it's smaller jeans and top. It's usually just music on, drinking, chatting to people.
It depends entirely on the people that are going. I've had groups of friends that have had a few drinks around someone's house and they broke out a dancing game on the wii and nice time memories were had by all. I've also got a friend who has told me about a few house parties he has gone to and it's ranged from guys queuing up to have sex with one particular girl upstairs to stealing the eggs from the fridge and hiding them.

It's best just to talk to a close friend of yours that is also going, be honest and say you've not been to one before and ask what you're likely to expect. They'll give you a rough idea and whatever it's like it'll probably make you feel better not going into the situation completely blind.
Original post by lyrical_lie
As long as your friends are there you'll be fine, because you are less likely to be shy around people you know. I used to wear dresses and skirts to house parties if they are larger ones, if it's smaller jeans and top. It's usually just music on, drinking, chatting to people.

Sounds like fun! I have a short-ish strapless dress which is a little bit formal - but d'you think if I wore it with a chunky belt at the waist to dress it down that'd be good? Or a bit over the top still? I've messaged my friend asking her opinion but she hasn't replied!

Original post by sliceofcake
It depends entirely on the people that are going. I've had groups of friends that have had a few drinks around someone's house and they broke out a dancing game on the wii and nice time memories were had by all. I've also got a friend who has told me about a few house parties he has gone to and it's ranged from guys queuing up to have sex with one particular girl upstairs to stealing the eggs from the fridge and hiding them.

It's best just to talk to a close friend of yours that is also going, be honest and say you've not been to one before and ask what you're likely to expect. They'll give you a rough idea and whatever it's like it'll probably make you feel better not going into the situation completely blind.

Thanks for the advice :smile: hopefully I won't get too shy!
Reply 4
Wear a croptop boobtube, vaguely see through leggings and a load of makeup

Twerk it like its gonna fall off

You'll do great kid, trust me
House parties are always different. Ranging from playing drinking games, getting drunk and having an all-out good time, to a naked man running in urinating on everything, trashing the house, and throwing e tv out the window.
Sounds like fun! I have a short-ish strapless dress which is a little bit formal - but d'you think if I wore it with a chunky belt at the waist to dress it down that'd be good? Or a bit over the top still? I've messaged my friend asking her opinion but she hasn't replied!

I don't really know without seeing it but a chunky belt will dress it down. If you want it a bit more casual wear flat shoes with it rather than heels?
Reply 7
Normally it's chilled. You can chat to new people and make friends. As long as you know some people going I wouldn't worry about it.
How can anyone go to a House Party knowing they might have to kiss, or worse, have sex?

Just go to have fun!!
I don't really know without seeing it but a chunky belt will dress it down. If you want it a bit more casual wear flat shoes with it rather than heels?

Yeah definitely flats - was thinking nude ballet pumps? This is what it looks like:
973939_10200104875689059_1756369421_n.jpg
If they're anything like the ones I've been to, there'll be a small group of people doing shots all night and the rest of us trying to make sure they don't run out into the road. I don't find them fun because I'm on J20 all night :rolleyes:
Yeah definitely flats - was thinking nude ballet pumps? This is what it looks like:
973939_10200104875689059_1756369421_n.jpg

Yea thats really nice! I'd go for that and nude shoes sound good. Have fun :biggrin:
Original post by Miracle Day
House parties are always different. Ranging from playing drinking games, getting drunk and having an all-out good time, to a naked man running in urinating on everything, trashing the house, and throwing e tv out the window.

Aha ok, well i think this is gonna be pretty tame :tongue:
Yea thats really nice! I'd go for that and nude shoes sound good. Have fun :biggrin:

Brilliant, thank you :smile: x

Firstly don't overdo it on the alcohol. Given that you haven't done much of this before I assume you haven't drank much in the past? Mixing drinks is a bad idea and also remember that spirits are very strong (about 37.5% or more usually). There will be at least one kid who spends the night lieing by the toilet paraletic and probably a couple more will end up covered in their own puke, don't let that be you. If that happens someone will likely call your parents which although its for your own good and the safest option, is really humiliating.

At the parties I go to girls usually come in dresses and skirts as your friend said. The odd one might wear jeans or something but in the least blunt way possible they tend to be the least attractive ones.

As for your question about guys refer back to the last two points. There are remarkably few things less attractive than a girl who's had far too much to drink. Firstly you look like a bit of a predator if you go for the absolutley plastered girl and whilst I know people who have done it, no one is going to want to make out with you if you've just chundered. I also like girls who dress well, feminine, good sense of style.

Le's just say, I've been to parties where everyone is sober and you just sit around and talk, which is fun. And I've been to parties where people have been off their faces and the cops get called. Which is fun in a different way :wink:

Are your friend's parents going to be there? Will there be alcohol?

I don't look to get off with a girl (I have a girlfriend, although I've been single at parties before and I still don't look for that). Although a lot of boys would :wink:
The dress looks nice and goes with the belt and tights. I'm not sure about nude coloured shoes thoug :erm:

Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
How can anyone go to a House Party knowing they might have to kiss, or worse, have sex?

Just go to have fun!!

What you described was rather rapey in nature.

Some people find it fun to go out to meet up with people though.
Original post by Patriot Rich
Firstly don't overdo it on the alcohol. Given that you haven't done much of this before I assume you haven't drank much in the past? Mixing drinks is a bad idea and also remember that spirits are very strong (about 37.5% or more usually). There will be at least one kid who spends the night lieing by the toilet paraletic and probably a couple more will end up covered in their own puke, don't let that be you. If that happens someone will likely call your parents which although its for your own good and the safest option, is really humiliating.

At the parties I go to girls usually come in dresses and skirts as your friend said. The odd one might wear jeans or something but in the least blunt way possible they tend to be the least attractive ones.

As for your question about guys refer back to the last two points. There are remarkably few things less attractive than a girl who's had far too much to drink. Firstly you look like a bit of a predator if you go for the absolutley plastered girl and whilst I know people who have done it, no one is going to want to make out with you if you've just chundered. I also like girls who dress well, feminine, good sense of style.

I probably won't be drinking at all - haven't before and don't really plan to!

Assuming you're a guy, what d'you think of what I'm wearing?
Original post by anony.mouse
The dress looks nice and goes with the belt and tights. I'm not sure about nude coloured shoes thoug :erm:

Yeah I wasn't sure about the shoes :/ I'm not wearing tights in that picture haha :tongue:

Original post by cant_think_of_name
Le's just say, I've been to parties where everyone is sober and you just sit around and talk, which is fun. And I've been to parties where people have been off their faces and the cops get called. Which is fun in a different way :wink:

Are your friend's parents going to be there? Will there be alcohol?

I don't look to get off with a girl (I have a girlfriend, although I've been single at parties before and I still don't look for that). Although a lot of boys would :wink:

Yep her parents are around from 10 ish I think. And there'll be alcohol too :tongue:
I probably won't be drinking at all - haven't before and don't really plan to!

Assuming you're a guy, what d'you think of what I'm wearing?

There's no harm in trying drinking, most people have more fun when there's a bit of alcohol in them, just don't overdo it. Although you can have fun without it of course.

Your outfits very nice. Most girls where black or other darker colours so it'll make you stand out a bit more, but definitely in a good way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending