The Student Room Group

Potential realistic unis?

AAAB/AAAA at AS (B in biology POSSIBLY)
4A* 6A (A*s in Maths, Chem, Spanish, Music), A in FSMQ
Sitting AEA and STEP 1 in a few weeks time
predicted 90%+ average across all modules and high 90s for C3 & C4 hopefully (this will obviously change after I sit the exams)
so far:
C1:100 C2 99 (I think, but not sure.) M1: 86 S1: 86 M2: 74~76
M2 is DREADFUL, I know. ;(
Obviously, my strong suit is NOT applied modules. I have been consistently getting mostly 73~74 in C3 past papers so hopefully 100 for that...need to tighten up on C4 but should be easier than M2 as pure is what I'm best at.
Maths Challenges: Junior Team Maths Challenge - reached national finals. Came 19th out of 80 (prob won't mention that part...)
Gold in IMC twice, entered Kangaroo twice - got merit once
Will start working as teaching assistant for Maths (& other students)
to students of all ages (up to my age) in Kumon

Other stuff:
Subscribe to New Scientist
Piano G8 Distinction
(edited 10 years ago)
Almost anywhere in my opinion. Cambridge may not like the fact that you have some lower UMS scores, other than that there's no reason you can't apply anywhere.
I'd go with Oxford over Cambridge; simply for the slightly lower UMS that you have. I'm guessing you're doing FM, and presumably Physics? I did the same AS Levels as you and got AAAB with the B in Biology. Didn't get an offer from Oxford, but my interview wasn't particularly good, so if you can do well there then you could get a place. Especially with experience of STEP etc from this year.
Original post by cant_think_of_name
I'd go with Oxford over Cambridge; simply for the slightly lower UMS that you have. I'm guessing you're doing FM, and presumably Physics? I did the same AS Levels as you and got AAAB with the B in Biology. Didn't get an offer from Oxford, but my interview wasn't particularly good, so if you can do well there then you could get a place. Especially with experience of STEP etc from this year.

Haha, I wasn't even considering Cambridge...I'm doing MAT prep over the summer if the rest of my exams go well.
Nope, I do Chemistry. Would that put me at a disadvantage?
Original post by yl95
Haha, I wasn't even considering Cambridge...I'm doing MAT prep over the summer if the rest of my exams go well.
Nope, I do Chemistry. Would that put me at a disadvantage?

Not that I can see, no. You should be fine without Physics, Maths and Further Maths are the things they look for. By the sounds of it you're very geared towards the Oxford application process and on TSR there are plenty of forums to help you.

Have you thought about other universities? :smile:
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Not that I can see, no. You should be fine without Physics, Maths and Further Maths are the things they look for. By the sounds of it you're very geared towards the Oxford application process and on TSR there are plenty of forums to help you.

Have you thought about other universities? :smile:

Haha, it depends on how C3 & C4 go but yeah, Oxford is my main goal.
I have -- I'm thinking of applying to one or two London ones out of UCL, Imperial and LSE (probably not LSE) and then I'm kind of undecided on the rest. ;l
Original post by yl95
Haha, it depends on how C3 & C4 go but yeah, Oxford is my main goal.
I have -- I'm thinking of applying to one or two London ones out of UCL, Imperial and LSE (probably not LSE) and then I'm kind of undecided on the rest. ;l

Doing them this year? :smile:

I can't help on London unis I'm afraid, I crossed them off my list automatically :tongue: but all those three are top unis so you can't go wrong. What do you look for in a university/course?

Quick Reply

Latest