The Student Room Group

Chemical Nomenclature

Thought I'd pick up an organic chemistry book!

Few questions!

Draw structures corresponding to the names, in each case suggest an alternative name.

3-(prop-2-enyloxy)prop-1-ene

I can't say i've come across the enyloxy group before, can't really find a reference in the textbook, Whatever it is looks like it's on the 3 carbon of prop-1-ene sounds like an oxygen will fit in there too, not really finding a way here, any help or reference would be cool.

1,4-di-1(1-dimethylethyl)benzene

This question I think is just a case of understanding the syntax of naming compounds

I'm aware 1,4 refers to the carbon on the benzene here, it's the di-1(1-dimethylethyl) bit that slightly confusing. I think I'm right in thinking the dimethylethyl bit appears twice in the structure at carbon 1 and 4 of the benzene ring, not fully understanding the "di-1(1" bit.
Dimethylethyl is that not just propyl too?

Thanks for the help! I feel like I'm sinking in nomenclature even after reading the chapter over.
(edited 10 years ago)
Insparato! :eek: :hugs:

'enyloxy' isn't really a functional group - it's sort of what alkyl (R-stuff) is to alkane (R-H). So here it's H2C=CH-CH2-O-stuff

Second one looks like a typo, the "di-1(1" bit makes no sense, should be 1,4-di-(1,1-dimethylethyl)benzene I think.
Reply 2
Hey EVS! How's it going?

That has cleared up things a bit

The first one it should be called di-allyl ether then ?

The 2nd one, it's para-di-t-butyl-benzene ?

Damn they were hard, thanks for pointing out the typo, that cleared up the second one. Do you know of any good sites for getting some practice in naming structures? I feel I'm way too rusty.
Original post by insparato
Hey EVS! How's it going?

Good thanks, how about you? :h:

That has cleared up things a bit

The first one it should be called di-allyl ether then ?

Trivial name is diallyl ether yep (no dash) :yep:

The 2nd one, it's para-di-t-butyl-benzene ?

Indeed, its better name is para-di-tert-butylbenzene.

Damn they were hard, thanks for pointing out the typo, that cleared up the second one. Do you know of any good sites for getting some practice in naming structures? I feel I'm way too rusty.

Not that I know of sorry, at least not for intermediate level like this. Try finding a naming program for structures and test yourself using that? :dontknow:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest