The Student Room Group

HELP - Full Open Days

I realised I needed to book open days a few days ago; I was given little notice of this by college :mad: and now many of the sessions (maths) at various competitive universities are full. Am I screwed? Or is booking not essential, but just a precaution, so to speak?
Reply 1
Warwick's full for talks and my heart sank. Gah
1) I'm surprised you had to be wait to be told to go to open days, everyone I know has gone from their own initiative.
2) Open days are also sometimes held in the autumn so you may still have time to go before you send off your application.
3) Some universities hold applicant open days, open days that you can go to after you've applied.
4) Open days are fairly important but not essential so if you absolutely can't make it to one it's not the end of the world but try and go on another day, take a look around, ask for a map or information etc at the main reception. I'm not speaking for every university but it being booked full may not really matter. Two of my friends went to a 'full' open day but there was no issue with them being there. Some people change their minds or 'full' is just at the limit of ideal because they don't want to be overwhelmed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Try and book for some in the autumn but it's not the be all and end all - you can also email the Uni's and get prospectuses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Universities are quite open to you ringing up and asking if you can come on your own at a different time.
You can still go to the Open Day - depending on the way the Uni has organised it, you will probably still be able to sneak into things like 'tours'. If you dont live too far away, go anyway - and check with the registration desk once you get there if you can still join in with things.

And book *early* for other Open Days!
Original post by sliceofcake
1) I'm surprised you had to be wait to be told to go to open days, everyone I know has gone from their own initiative.

Personally, it didn't occur to me, I was too busy revising for my exams from easter onwards because I was so disappointed with my January results. Sixth Form never even mentioned open days or anything about uni applications until after exams were done (when they said now would be a good time to take time off to go to them). I thought they would be over summer or at least in July and by the time I'd done some research and worked out which uni's I was considering going to, the open days were only a few days away, fully booked or on the same day as each other.
Luckily there were early september ones for my top 2 choices and compulsory applicant days at 2 others so I did see all of them.

OP two of my friends went to a 'full' open day at Bristol in october-time I think and they got on fine, the only issue would be if you were planning to drive, you probably won't be able to get a parking permit if you aren't booked to go so you'll have to find a public car park and pay.

Quick Reply

Latest