The Student Room Group

2013 STEP thread mark II

Scroll to see replies

If TSR is going to be a good representation of all the people who sat this exam, then I'm definitely not going to get into Warwick this year :redface:
Reply 1181
Original post by Zhy
8 full solutions for STEP I. Boundaries will probably be similar to 2010.

Wow congrats! Are you going to Cambridge?
Original post by Dog4444
I hope TSR isn't a representation of all the(1500?) candidates.

definitely not >.>.
It seems only people who did really well want to post on these threads, I think I got 3- 4+2 1/2s right on STEP I, and is the only reason I am looking at peoples answers or posting about it.

Step II I only got 1 question right I am sure, so avoided even looking at it to avoid feeling depressed.
Reply 1183
Original post by MathsNerd1
If TSR is going to be a good representation of all the people who sat this exam, then I'm definitely not going to get into Warwick this year :redface:

Didn't you boss AEA?
Reply 1184
Did anyone else have all their exams go worse (by a big margin) than the worst mocks they've ever done?
I think I got 3/4 full solutions to questions 1,2,4 and 7 and I got quite far into question 3 :smile: was very happy with the paper when I came out the exam, but like others I'm worried about the boundaries! Hopefully I got a 2! Worried that a 2 might be something ridiculous like 75 though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr.Guy
Didn't you boss AEA?

I'm pretty certain I haven't even gotten half the marks in it, just wasn't a good way to start the day for me :redface:
Anyone else find aea horrible!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1188
Original post by Jkn
Did anyone else have all their exams go worse (by a big margin) than the worst mocks they've ever done?

Yes, definitely. Not sure if it's whether the exams are getting harder year on year, or I just can't handle pressure too well...
Reply 1189
I got 3-4 full solutions on 1,4,5,7, and half solutions on 2 and 10. Was hoping this would be enough for a 1, but seeing how other people have done hasn't made me feel too good about the grade boundaries!
Reply 1190
Also, did anybody else get just two straight lines for 5ii, and a sideways parabola for 5iii? With the line of reflection being y=-1?
Original post by FJacob
Has anyone else done 3 up to part iv)?

Spoiler

Yes I got that, it was my favourite question on the paper. Did you state the general Pn or prove it?
Am I the only one who though this was harder than an average paper? Maybe because the questions weren't really my cup of tea but I personally was doing better on the majority of past papers than I did in this exam. Judging by how hight the grade boundaries are likely to be I'm not sure if I'll even get a 1.
Original post by Jkn

This! So this :'(

If anyone could pretty pretty please estimate my score I would honestly love you forever :redface:

Spoiler

Thank you :')

Spoiler

Sneakily quoting the paper for convenience, thanks for uploading :')
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Am I the only one who though this was harder than an average paper? Maybe because the questions weren't really my cup of tea but I personally was doing better on the majority of past papers than I did in this exam. Judging by how hight the grade boundaries are likely to be I'm not sure if I'll even get a 1.

Nooo :frown: How high do you think the grade boundaries may be, roughly? :redface: Comparable to 2010? :eek:

Edit: I agree with you, that paper just threw me off :s-smilie:
Reply 1195
Original post by LewisMead
Yes I got that, it was my favourite question on the paper. Did you state the general Pn or prove it?

I showed that Pn+1 divided PnY into "something messy" : lambda^(n+1), and thus Pn divided XY in 1-lambda^n : lambda^n. I wasn't very rigorous though, and I think induction could be required.

It was indeed the nicest question IMO.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by FJacob
I showed that Pn divided PnY in "something messy" : lambda^n, and thus divided XY in 1-lambda^n : lambda^n. I wasn't very rigorous though, and I assume induction could be required.

It was indeed the nicest question IMO.

I did use induction myself for the general Pn point, but only late on so it may have been missing some rigour.

What substitution did people use for the final part of 1?
Reply 1197
I did use induction myself for the general Pn point, but only late on so it may have been missing some rigour.

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Got fulls to 1,4,7 and 8. Nearly full for 2 (didn't manage the conditions for f(x)=c though), and the first 2 parts of 5 done.
REALLY pleased.

EDIT: I was actually confident I might have got an S until I saw that the population of TSR did similarly to me.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending