The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

racism in manchester!

omg! :redface: i've never known even manchester has racism in it . . .not talkin about the university though !

i just wanted to know if other nationalities are looked down upon?

are other races not acceptable by the locals? :redface:
Reply 1
Original post by shine like me
omg! :redface: i've never known even manchester has racism in it . . .not talkin about the university though !

i just wanted to know if other nationalities are looked down upon?

are other races not acceptable by the locals? :redface:

I'm from Manchester, this was an isolated incident, could have been anywhere or anyone!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Locutus73
I'm from Manchester, this was an isolated incident, could have been anywhere or anyone!

but manchester is known for multiculture , isn't it? :redface:
Everywhere has some form of racism, but I don't think that Manchester is any worse than anywhere else.

Most of the locals are of other races (i.e. non white) themselves, with locals living in Rusholme and Longsight being predominantly South Asian / Middle Eastern and Muslim. There is also a significant Afro-Caribbean population in Moss Side. Fallowfield is so student dominated that very few locals live there. Withington & Didsbury are more white middle class. This means that whilst Manchester does (like most places) have the odd EDL protest, the people at the protest tend to come from areas that students don't live in.

It's a very multicultural area, and though I'm white myself, I've not experienced racism and I'm not aware that friends (white and otherwise) have experienced direct racism from the locals, or anyone else for that matter.
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
Everywhere has some form of racism, but I don't think that Manchester is any worse than anywhere else.

Most of the locals are of other races (i.e. non white) themselves, with locals living in Rusholme and Longsight being predominantly South Asian / Middle Eastern and Muslim. There is also a significant Afro-Caribbean population in Moss Side. Fallowfield is so student dominated that very few locals live there. Withington & Didsbury are more white middle class. This means that whilst Manchester does (like most places) have the odd EDL protest, the people at the protest tend to come from areas that students don't live in.

It's a very multicultural area, and though I'm white myself, I've not experienced racism and I'm not aware that friends (white and otherwise) have experienced direct racism from the locals, or anyone else for that matter.

Withington is not middle class :tongue:

Not even all parts of didsbury are.
I've been living in Greater Manchester for a couple years now and I'd have to say that although I've been the subject of some racist abuse, it's not been any more than I've experienced in other areas of England.

Additionally, there are various areas within GM which are predominately populated by particular ethnicities.
Reply 6
If you are a student you won't be going to places where you will find trouble and you have no reason to. A student has no reason to go outside of fallow field, oxford road and the city centre if they go out at night and even then all student places are in a particular area of town.

That being said, if you are a hipster and think its cool to go to the other parts of Manchester, anything bad that comes to you will be asking for it.

As an ethnic minority, you won't find racism to any degree a part from wythenshawe, which again, you would have no reason to go there.

Withington and burnage are predominantly white working class but also pockets of ethnic minorities, unlikely to find much racism there.
Reply 7
woah! that's nice !

infact, it was quite helpful :smile:

thanks! :smile:
Original post by Dan1607
Withington is not middle class :tongue:

Not even all parts of didsbury are.

They are relative to Longsight :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending