This discussion is closed.
5.45x39
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey all,

Im starting Uni in september in a "rural" university

Im a strong believer in carrying a UK legal knife on a day to day basis (Non locking, Under 3 inch blade)

I know what your thinking, "why do you need a knife", "heres anoyther chav looking for trouble" "Nutter"

Well a bit of background is in order.

Im a 23 yr old guy into the outdoors and bushcraft (ray mears type of stuff) Im ex military and very clear minded on a knife's purpose as a tool

(link to said knife http://www.heinnie.com/-UK-Legal-Car...-641-658-6081/)

Im a responsible person with a flight not fight mentality when it comes to confrontation. But it comforts me to know I have it in an emergency. I dont show it off or get it out in public.

I have been stuck upside down in a vehicle trapped by the seatbelt before and with no tool to cut myself free it was truely horrible. That could have been avoided easily if I had my knife in that situation. Not only that but there was an incident at my old 6 form about a decade ago where 4 girls went to the pub for a sunday lunch and on the return journey (no alcohol) crashed into a tree and they all burned alive. Very sad

Anyway back to the point of this thread.

Does anybody else carry a UK legal knife on their day to day activities?(never whilst drinking or near schools of course)

Would you feel comfortable storing a couple knives and a small tomahawk if your halls uni room inside a rucksack?

Here a few pics showing the items to be stored (NOT CARRIED OR PLAYED AROUND WITH) and also where I use them, and what i make with them. My girlfriend loved the spoon!

KNIFE IN PICTURE I DO NOT CARRY! Read above

Remember everything I do is LEGAL and SAFE!

Thanks for looking
Thatstudentdude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What if your car had flipped and the knife had impaled you through your jacket pocket? Then you'd be in an even worse position?...
5.45x39
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thatstudentdude)
What if your car had flipped and the knife had impaled you through your jacket pocket? Then you'd be in an even worse position?...
Are you familar with how a folding blade works? It cant do that
GottaLovePhysics! :)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have a rabbitfoot knife by my bedside, but I would never leave the house with it. Pointless really as if I had an intruder I would choose something big, heavy and blunt, but I would stick it in my pocket all the same.
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When are you ever going to be in a situation that requires the use of a Tomahawk?
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well you seem pretty responsible, and being ex-military would certainly help your case if questioned. I do a fair bit of outdoors stuff myself, and whilst I haven't been in the military (except cadets), or been in a situation where I needed to cut myself free, I can fully appreciate that a knife could save your life in that way. I don't carry one around, but I can see a good case for doing so.

My only potential objections are;

1. If you did stab someone in self defence the courts would probably assume you had the knife for malicious purposes, even if you didn't.
2. If you have a knife and are attacked (and can't defend yourself for whatever reason, which can happen no matter how strong and martial arty you are), there is a decent chance of the attacker getting hold of it and using it on you.

Otherwise, I don't personally have a problem with responsible people having knives that they keep hidden.

Nice spoon.
5.45x39
Rep:
?
(Original post by pinda.college)
When are you ever going to be in a situation that requires the use of a Tomahawk?
Do you read? I clearly stated im into bushcraft and use it to process wood, hammer in pegs, carve things. I even posted pictures to show where and what i do with it!

but thanks for taking the time to answer my 2 questions.. cheers
5.45x39
Rep:
?
(Original post by Octohedral)
Well you seem pretty responsible, and being ex-military would certainly help your case if questioned. I do a fair bit of outdoors stuff myself, and whilst I haven't been in the military (except cadets), or been in a situation where I needed to cut myself free, I can fully appreciate that a knife could save your life in that way. I don't carry one around, but I can see a good case for doing so.

My only potential objections are;

1. If you did stab someone in self defence the courts would probably assume you had the knife for malicious purposes, even if you didn't.
2. If you have a knife and are attacked (and can't defend yourself for whatever reason, which can happen no matter how strong and martial arty you are), there is a decent chance of the attacker getting hold of it and using it on you.

Otherwise, I don't personally have a problem with responsible people having knives that they keep hidden.

Nice spoon.
yes ive thought about those two points you have made alot.

Firstly if I was in a postiton where i HAD to use it. It would be a life threatening situation where the last thing i would worry about is what a court would think.

Secondly if i was attacked i can only hope the other person/persons involved didnt kill me with my own knife. As a small non locking blade they really arnt meant for fighting and its very easy to cut yourself as they dont "lock open". But its a risk I take and understand.

thanks about the spoon btw
5.45x39
Rep:
?
Anyone with any suggestions? cheers
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not sure about the Tomahawk, but the 3" blades shouldn't be an issue. I have two penknives and a multi-tool because I do outdoors activities as part of one of my societies.

I usually just leave them hanging around, or where I can grab them. Nobody else has access to my room, so it's not really an issue for me. I usually keep one in my rucksack and the other two are handy because I use the tools on a near daily basis. I don't carry them with me though, I just don't need it, but there's nothing wrong with doing so.
5.45x39
Rep:
?
(Original post by SillyEddy)
I'm not sure about the Tomahawk, but the 3" blades shouldn't be an issue. I have two penknives and a multi-tool because I do outdoors activities as part of one of my societies.

I usually just leave them hanging around, or where I can grab them. Nobody else has access to my room, so it's not really an issue for me. I usually keep one in my rucksack and the other two are handy because I use the tools on a near daily basis. I don't carry them with me though, I just don't need it, but there's nothing wrong with doing so.
Hi Eddy

Cheers for the reply. I forgot i have my multitool also, a leatherman wave. They can be a bit dodgy as they are a locking blade. So very bad to carry on a day to day basis.

I think if i keep it low key i should be fine.

thanks

T
Melissa.S.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If I was living in halls with someone, and they had knives in their room, it wouldn't bother me. As long as you're responsible and not messing around with it, which you said you aren't, it's not a problem. But I don't know what the Uni would think if they found out?? Think you might get into a bit of trouble to be honest.
CodeJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's ok, but get that thing sheathed!!
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 5.45x39)
Im a 23 yr old guy into the outdoors and bushcraft (ray mears type of stuff) Im ex military and very clear minded on a knife's purpose as a tool and a last ditch defense option.
The only preparedness I learned in the Army was to shave pubic hair before going out in case of unexpected BJ.

Does anybody else carry a UK legal knife on their day to day activities?(never whilst drinking or near schools of course)
I used to carry a Leatherman Charge XTi and Leatherman Micra for years, until I realised that (1) it was wearing away my belt and trousers; (2) I never, ever used any of the blades - only very occassionally the very small slotted screwdriver. I now have the Micra on my keys and usually have some kind of torch.

Would you feel comfortable storing a couple knives and a small tomahawk if your halls uni room inside a rucksack?
I'd personally find that kind of unusual - but I have seen much weirder stuff in halls. I used to have a Microtech knife of some description, but I never ever took it out as I had no justification.
twinlensreflex
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If no one else has access to your room I doubt there'd be any real problems... I carry a Stanley knife about fairly often/keep blades and stuff in my room, art student
Norton1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by pinda.college)
When the white man comes with the iron horse.
pjm600
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you're worried about getting trapped in cars etc., consider one of these as an alternative.

Personally I'd be wary of being around someone who carries a knife, even if it's for the purpose you describe. Saying that you would use it as a ''last ditch self defence weapon'' is not very reassuringly and is pretty much straying into poss of an offensive weapon.
Ornlu
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 5.45x39)
Hi Eddy

Cheers for the reply. I forgot i have my multitool also, a leatherman wave. They can be a bit dodgy as they are a locking blade. So very bad to carry on a day to day basis.

I think if i keep it low key i should be fine.

thanks

T
Russian Calibre Lad (I hope you don't mind me calling you that ), what are the laws on a knives - no ownership of butterflies but allowed to own locking but not carry them? :confused:
5.45x39
Rep:
?
Wow, to start with it seems nobody here has spent any time in the woods at all. An axe is one of the most important tools. Turn up without one or a saw and your in for a cold few days with no hot food. I think this is the third time i have stated what i use it for!

Maybe i shouldnt have called it a tomahawk (which is its real name) and called it an wood axe. Maybe that would have settled a few call of duty references.

That spoon was carved with only the "axe" and a spoon knife from a mate, And a bit of sandpaper I really enjoy using it for that PURPOSE.

Im not going to spool off all the knife laws you can read a good source here: http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...in-amp-the-Law
I have sheaths for all my tools btw.

I understand we live in a country where anything sharp is outside of the comfort zone of most. I think those who think im walking around with a weapon should have a look at the knofe in question ands its operation. I take it if it was a swiss army knife alot more people would be comfortable.

I have no intention of ever using it to harm somebody. Most knife crime is commited by fixed blades which are completley illegal to carry in public. And most are kitchen knives or locking folding blades.

Was just last week I was on a busy beach watching a group of chavs having a bbq with massive kitchen knives galore! with 3 crates of beer!

Seems I am talking to alot of people with little knowledge of the law and the tools neccesary to live outside for any meaningful length of time.

I plan on spending alot of time in the wild in the next few years and improving my skills.

Rant over. thanks for the rational comment by those few

Cheers

The only space in my control will be in halls? I suppose I could ask one of my course teachers to hold onto them.

Taken directly from government website:
Knives: the laws on buying and carrying

Not what you're looking for? ↓ The laws about buying and carrying a knife depend on the type of knife, your age and your circumstances.

Basic laws on knives

It is illegal to:

• sell a knife of any kind (including cutlery and kitchen knives) to anyone under 18
  • carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife
  • carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife (the list of banned knives is below)
  • use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)

Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public.

The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000.
Good reasons for carrying a knife

Examples of good reasons to carry a knife in public can include:

• taking knives you use at work to and from work
  • you’re taking knives to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
  • the knife is going to be used for theatre, film, televison, historical reenactment or religious purposes (eg the kirpan some Sikhs carry)

A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife if you’re charged with carrying it illegally.
Knives that are illegal

There is a complete ban on the sale of some knives:

• flick knives (also called ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed
  • butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
  • disguised knives – eg where the blade is hidden inside a belt buckle or fake mobile phone
  • gravity knives
  • sword-sticks
  • samurai swords (with some exceptions, including antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
  • hand or foot-claws
  • push daggers
  • hollow kubotan (cylinder-shaped keychain) holding spikes
  • shuriken (also known as ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
  • kusari-gama (sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire)
  • kyoketsu-shoge (hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire)
  • kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)

This is not a complete list of banned knives. Contact your local police to check if a knife is illegal or not.
5.45x39
Rep:
?
(Original post by twinlensreflex)
If no one else has access to your room I doubt there'd be any real problems... I carry a Stanley knife about fairly often/keep blades and stuff in my room, art student
Do not carry a stanley knife! It is a fixed blade.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (263)
61.45%
Yes- I don't like it (20)
4.67%
No- I want it (114)
26.64%
No- I don't want it (31)
7.24%

Watched Threads