The Student Room Group

Dropping out and Re-applying to University (2nd year)

Thank you for reading this, I will try to make it as clear as possible:

-I have completed 2 years of university
-I failed 3 modules in first year, and passed resits
-This year I expect to get a mid 2:2
-I don't believe I will get a 2:1 on this course, and if I do, it will be a low one

So I am thinking about dropping out. My Previous qualifications are:

-A-Level: A*AA
-GCSE: 6A*5A

My questions:

1.) I understand that I have to write on a UCAS form that I have previously attended uni, is this true?
2.) If so, do I have to list module marks etc.?
3.) How bad is it to have this on my UCAS form? How much does it weigh me down in respect to other candidates?
4.) What level of university can I target? I am currently at one of the better RG unis.
5.) I have self-funded my 2 years at university (not used student finance), does this mean my 'next' potential degree can be fully funded under student finance?

Thank you for any help.
If you havnt done already, you need to go and talk to your Personal Tutor about why you are unhappy at Uni.

Whatever this is, transferring to another Uni is not necessarily the 'magical' answer. The course will be different, the people will be different and you will have the problem of being 'an outsider' enterying an exsting course half-way though.

If the aim of this move is just to get a 2.1, think very carefully. Just going to a 'lower' University wont necessarily make this happen and you may still end up with a 2.2

Go and talk to your Personal Tutor and discuss what you can do at your current Uni to raise your grades and finish your degree.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Could I just ask, what are you currently studying?
Original post by RS tomorrow
Thank you for reading this, I will try to make it as clear as possible:

-I have completed 2 years of university
-I failed 3 modules in first year, and passed resits
-This year I expect to get a mid 2:2
-I don't believe I will get a 2:1 on this course, and if I do, it will be a low one

So I am thinking about dropping out. My Previous qualifications are:

-A-Level: A*AA
-GCSE: 6A*5A

My questions:

1.) I understand that I have to write on a UCAS form that I have previously attended uni, is this true?
2.) If so, do I have to list module marks etc.?
3.) How bad is it to have this on my UCAS form? How much does it weigh me down in respect to other candidates?
4.) What level of university can I target? I am currently at one of the better RG unis.
5.) I have self-funded my 2 years at university (not used student finance), does this mean my 'next' potential degree can be fully funded under student finance?

Thank you for any help.

1.) Yes.

2.) Not 100% sure but I'd imagine so.

3.) I doubt it would affect you much. Loads of people drop out and re-apply elsewhere. I studied one year at university, and have re-applied elsewhere, it's pretty common.

4.)So long as you meet the entry requirements you would probably be able to get in to other RG universities. I don't see why not personally. As I said, lots of people drop out and re-apply else where.

5.) With regards to funding it doesn't work like that. It goes by how many years you have studied, not received funding. So, if you have completed two years of university, and you for on to a three year degree you will receive funding for year two and three only.

If you plan to do the same course elsewhere, try and get a transfer as this would be better in terms of funding purposes. You may be able to transfer in to second year of the same degree elsewhere. This would mean you would get full funding for the rest of your years.

Talk to your personal tutors though as, if you know that you're lacking currently, you might have the motivation to really pick up your grades for next year. If not, see if you can re-dp second year? As, again, you'll get funding :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you for the responses, I am particularly interested in any further insight into 2.). I have emailed UCAS about it and am waiting for a response.
Reply 5
Hi, i'm also reapplying through UCAS this year. Does anyone know how I enter my previous UCAS number into the application? I have completed everything apart from the statement and reference section and I haven't yet been prompted for it. I really don't want to be done for plagiarism.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending