Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think, therefore I am.

ReputationRep:
    And I am truly the Son of God. How much more justification do you need?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    I think, therefore I am.
    That (apparently) proves your existance, but does it actually justify it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    That (apparently) proves your existance, but does it actually justify it?
    Probably not....

I can't see how to justify my existance, since it wasn't my choice to exsist anyway - thats out of my contol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    Probably not....

I can't see how to justify my existance, since it wasn't my choice to exsist anyway - thats out of my contol.
    But what you do, and what you are isn't.

ReputationRep:
    My existance is necessary, for your existance.

ReputationRep:
    I have no reasons, no justification yet. I just am.

ReputationRep:
    Again, a red dwarf inspired thread...

How would you justify you existance as having worth?
    As in meaning something.
    I don't mean massive world changing achievements or anything, just how you would say that your existance is worthwhile?
    You are judged by yourself in that episode

ReputationRep:
    As I may have said to my mother during heated teenage "discussions", I don't have to justify myself to you or anyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    You are judged by yourself in that episode
    Well, in theory, yes, but surely everyone would judge themselves as worthy of living, because they are themselves.
    And what if the person was brilliant, but depressed or something?
    Then surely they would not think they deserved life, but really did?
    Thats why i think the inquisitor did have the final say, although i am interested whether he tried to justify his own existance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    As I may have said to my mother during heated teenage "discussions", I don't have to justify myself to you or anyone!
    Not even justify yourself to yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I justify my existance by just knowing that i will one day keep human existance going, with the birth of a child.

ReputationRep:
    Not even justify yourself to yourself?
    I tend to think about my actions and discuss them with the dude in my head, so I guess I do justify myself to myself to a certain extent.. if that makes sense.

I beleive that we are all lucky to be in existence, I mean we have like a million to one chance in being born in the first place, so I think that you can't possibley justify your existence out of something luck had a hand in.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to think about my actions and discuss them with the dude in my head, so I guess I do justify myself to myself to a certain extent.. if that makes sense.

I beleive that we are all lucky to be in existence, I mean we have like a million to one chance in being born in the first place, so I think that you can't possibley justify your existence out of something luck had a hand in.
    Dude in your head?
    You can actually get a response out of them?
    Mine are all drunk or something?!?!

Surely though, you can justify the fact that you were chosen, out of this million to one shot, by living your life in a way that is worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    Well, in theory, yes, but surely everyone would judge themselves as worthy of living, because they are themselves.
    And what if the person was brilliant, but depressed or something?
    Then surely they would not think they deserved life, but really did?
    Thats why i think the inquisitor did have the final say, although i am interested whether he tried to justify his own existance?
    Did you read the Toastie Toaster interveiw with the Inquisitor. He made a every good point.

Just looking at it from your point of view, say for the sake of argument you get round to judging every human in the universe...

Very well. Think of that. All life would be purposeful, filled with direction and ability. Throughout the whole of time, every existence would be worthwhile, every human content that they had done all they could to live their life.

But, if you did that - if the whole of existence was filled with the worthy and the wonderful - why would a self-repairing simulant at the end of time conclude that some lives weren't all that they could be?

Huh?

If you succeed in your task, you'll never embark on that task in the first place. Thus, we know that you won't succeed.

ReputationRep:
    Dude in your head?
    You can actually get a response out of them?
    Mine are all drunk or something?!?!

Surely though, you can justify the fact that you were chosen, out of this million to one shot, by living your life in a way that is worthwhile.
    my dude knows more than I do, he's very useful lol.

I suppose your right, seeing as we're so lucky to be here, we can justify our lives by doing worthwhile things - probably the propogation of the species as Shazza said. I dunno, it justs seems like we're here, we'll never now the meaning of life and why we are here, so we can't possibly justify ourselves - we're still too supid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Did you read the Toastie Toaster interveiw with the Inquisitor. He made a every good point.

Just looking at it from your point of view, say for the sake of argument you get round to judging every human in the universe...

Very well. Think of that. All life would be purposeful, filled with direction and ability. Throughout the whole of time, every existence would be worthwhile, every human content that they had done all they could to live their life.

But, if you did that - if the whole of existence was filled with the worthy and the wonderful - why would a self-repairing simulant at the end of time conclude that some lives weren't all that they could be?

Huh?

If you succeed in your task, you'll never embark on that task in the first place. Thus, we know that you won't succeed.
    Yeah, it makes sense.
    Although he would have to judge all those he gave a chance of life, as they could live it without being worthwhile.
    But that is a good point though.

ReputationRep:
    erm erm erm, i'm a Legend lets be honest...

ReputationRep:
    my dude knows more than I do, he's very useful lol.

I suppose your right, seeing as we're so lucky to be here, we can justify our lives by doing worthwhile things - probably the propogation of the species as Shazza said. I dunno, it justs seems like we're here, we'll never now the meaning of life and why we are here, so we can't possibly justify ourselves - we're still too supid!

But does it take knowledge of 'the' meaning of life, to live a life with 'a' meaning?
    We don't need ideals to justify ourselves, we just need something reasonable.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.