Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone doing access to nursing ? Help!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have some questions about the access to nursing course. Is there anyone currently doing the course or that has done it that can answer some questions ? Pleaseee

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I've just finished my 1st year of part time, what do you want to know?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Im doing the access course in September and would love to know what books to read up on before I start?!

ReputationRep:
    Hello thank you for your replies. I would like to know what the assessments were like. More exams or more assignments? What do you do exams on? Ect

ReputationRep:
    We did Anatomy & Physiology which had 3 subjects: Organisation of the human body worth 3 credits in which we had to do work on the eukaryotic cell, Cardiovascular and Respiratory Systems worth 6 credits which had an essay for each and an exam which was easy to revise for and then Homeostasis which is quite a big topic worth 3 credits which involved essays, case study and drawings. From Sept then we have Concepts of Care and Human growth and development. Sociology was tough going, lots and lots of reading for about 9 essays around 300-1000 words the two topics were worth 3 credits each: Sociology of the family and Social Class today. Lots of comparing and evaluating theorists such as Marxist, Functionalist and Feminists. Id definitely recommend a Haralambos and Holborn theories and perspectives book. We also had to do a PowerPoint presentation on Marital Breakdown. Sept is Psychology with understanding an coping with stress and theoretical approaches to psychology each worth 3 credits.
    We also did a communication and research projects worth 6 credits each. You choose a topic, I chose dementia, then there is a big introduction essay, questionnaires, methodologies, graphs, analysis and evaluation, conclusions, PowerPoint presentation and all that. Level 2 topics then are IT and Maths which can be done at level 3 but must be passed at least level 2, a fail and your off.
    Make sure you are top notch with Harvard referencing as its a big grade killer if its not right. Obviously each tutor will set different assignments and exams but I think generally the content will be the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much ! Best answer I could have got !

ReputationRep:
    No problem! It's not an easy course in the slightest as the workload comes thick and fast but its definitely going to make settling into uni work a hell of a lot easier i reckon!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What did you find difficult? Was it the work or the work load?

ReputationRep:
    Probably the work load as I wasn't used to it and I have a toddler so I can't do any work til after he is in bed!. Im on the part time course and the full timers said they didnt have as much of a workload as they got a lot done in classes. Sociology was difficulty mainly because you have to be objective and not give your opinions just evaluate and analyse. I did enjoy it though, it was boring unless you like that sort of thing but very interesting. Plus while low word limits seem like they would be easy, I often wished I had more than just the 10% over allowance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just finished my access which was for one year only, two long days a week.
    It was really slow at first. We had physiology and healthcare which were the main lessons, then a few on the side which helped get the overall credits, but you need to pass all modules to pass the course and check which university you want to go to and what they require. For example do you need a certain amount of merits or distinctions for be offered a place. This way you know that you need to up for game on your grades.

Its a really good course which does prepare you for uni especially if you have been our of education for a while.
    Have fun.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies ! Especially SamJ12. You have deffo motivated me to do access. I was worrie about the exams initially. However you put that at ease I'm sure I can handle the work load if I keep organised and luckily I love sociology got grade B at A level !

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 19, 2013

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.