The Student Room Group

EPQ on Capital Punishment

Doing my EPQ on capital punishment and if it should be reintroduced in the UK. Does anyone have any ideas I can work with and/or any other help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Mattohh
Doing my EPQ on capital punishment and if it should be reintroduced in the UK. Does anyone have any ideas I can work with and/or any other help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Completed my EPQ this year on a sociology/human geography topic.

I don't know much about law and capital punishment but when I read your topic, the first thing I thought of was the different perceptions of capital punishment - maybe you could investigate the different views of capital punishment, e.g. a religious point of view/ a political view/ legal/ and compare that with the views of the general public - maybe carry out a survey? Then compare the influence each view would have over the government legislation, that way you could assess how likely it is that it will be reintroduced.

Or you could do loads of secondary research, compare different countries to see their views on capital punishment/has it been successful in reducing crime overseas etc.

It'd be good to start with background info on crime, to find out if there is actually a need for capital punishment - maybe find some crime stats.
Reply 2
Thanks so much! That's really helped, I wasn't too sure on how to tackle it as such so thanks again.
Maybe you could ask the public/TSR for their opinions on whether it should be reintroduced and, if so, under what conditions (i.e. for what offences?)

I did my EPQ on economics so I obviously did it in a completely different area to you, however my supervisor said that if you put primary research into your EPQ then it can get you some good marks (a friend did his EPQ on corruption in Indian schools and interviewed a student and a teacher over there for primary evidence).
Reply 4
No problem :smile:

I got a borderline A/A* so if you need anything, PM me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Hello53
No problem :smile:

I got a borderline A/A* so if you need anything, PM me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by MalteseMalteser
Maybe you could ask the public/TSR for their opinions on whether it should be reintroduced and, if so, under what conditions (i.e. for what offences?)

I did my EPQ on economics so I obviously did it in a completely different area to you, however my supervisor said that if you put primary research into your EPQ then it can get you some good marks (a friend did his EPQ on corruption in Indian schools and interviewed a student and a teacher over there for primary evidence).

Hadn't really thought of that but I think I may do that, thanks!
Original post by Mattohh

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could do background research about when the UK used capital punishment before and what effects it had then. I would also look into whether or not it would be effective (using academics opinions), and research into countries that use it and what it is used as punishment for.
I strongly suggest finding some decent professional articles on the topic and do lots of reading from them for ideas!
You could also email any university lecturers who have knowledge in the topic area, asking them for their opinion or any free reading material they can recommend for you, since they liked you to use a variety of sources.

I would also include looking at current methods of punishment and assessing how effective they are, and again, you can compare our country's reoffending rate/general crime rates to countries that use capital punishment, and look at possible reasons for the differences (e.g better healthcare, education etc). Might be an idea to compare to America?

You could also look at how capital punishment would be implemented in the UK/how it'd become law. Look at the pros and cons of it...etc etc. There's so much potential!

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/3802
^ Poll on public opinion on the death penalty.

Are you doing it on Edexcel or AQA? I did Edexcel and my supervisor has given me one mark off full marks (obviously not the final mark, but I doubt I'll go down too much) but if you want any tips in general organisation, for the presentation etc.

One thing I'll recommend straight off is how you do your activity log, make sure it's properly organised and you refer back to your original plan/any alterations/problems and solutions etc. And make sure you do it in enough detail too!
I did a colour coded key (split
my project up into like 8 activities or something, so where it says 'Activity' I put the name of the activity in my log):

Key:
Activity
Reflection on original plan/link to original plan
problems
solutions/responses
next step

Edit: I just read Hello53's post, I really like her idea about religious viewpoints etc! That'd be a good one.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
hey can you give any tips for writing the discussion? my epq is titled: 'the death penalty as practised in America is an infringement of human rights'
Original post by Mattohh

Posted from TSR Mobile

use cases of injustice for it
what did you do a dissertation?
hey could you give any tips on how to write the introduction and structure the essay. My EPQ question is "why do some countries have capital punishment and does it link with the type of society it is e.g. individualist/ collectivist society?"
Hi! I am really interested in what your question was for your epq. Please could you help me out!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply