The Student Room Group

Further Maths or Physics?!

Hello, I'm sure you probably have seen many other threads just like this one, but I'm confused as to whether I should take Further Maths or Physics, and which would be more beneficial to a Medicine Degree?

I'm stronger at Maths than Physics, but my Physics teacher said that I am capable to do Physics A level, and i've heard that Further Maths overlaps with physics anyway?

My current A Level options at the moment are: Biology, Chemistry, Maths + Further Maths.

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Don't quote me on this, but I have heard that some medicine degrees don't count maths and further maths separately, and the preferred combination is 3 science and maths. The best thing to do is email your possible universities and ask them what they prefer. For instance, I emailed LSE and they told me F.Maths is beneficial to an economics degree (so I'm taking it hehe :P). Although, if you prefer maths to physics, there is of course nothing stopping you doing F.Maths.

Hope I helped! :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks a lot, once my exams are finished I'll be contacting universities :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by frodothehobbit
Thanks a lot, once my exams are finished I'll be contacting universities :smile:

They will all say their policy on their website.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I have offers for medicine with maths physics chemistry and I did further last year as an AS, med schools are fine with further as an AS but most don't want you to have it at A2. Physics gets tough but it's definitely more applicable to medicine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by zmai
I have offers for medicine with maths physics chemistry and I did further last year as an AS, med schools are fine with further as an AS but most don't want you to have it at A2. Physics gets tough but it's definitely more applicable to medicine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find AS Further Maths and physics?
Original post by zmai

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that's not strictly true. It's not that that don't want it, it's just that they have other preferred subjects
Reply 7
I took Further Maths and have an offer at Birmingham for Medicine. Most universities don't have a problem with it, but Edinburgh hate it and will not accept it. I chose it over Physics because I found it more interesting and I was better at it, but in the end it's down to you :smile:
Reply 8
How did you find AS Further Maths and physics?

I preferred further to physics but I'm enjoying physics A2 much more, I guess it just depends on which topics suit you? I didn't like D1 at all but FP1 was good and I like stats and mechanics. At the end of the day you are going to put more effort into something you enjoy, maybe have a look at the topics that come up in physics in your exam board?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by LiquidGold
Well that's not strictly true. It's not that that don't want it, it's just that they have other preferred subjects

Sorry you're right, I'll rephrase that...

Some unis don't consider maths and further maths as 2 different alevels although it won't be looked upon badly. They will often want you to have 3 subjects not including further!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zmai
I preferred further to physics but I'm enjoying physics A2 much more, I guess it just depends on which topics suit you? I didn't like D1 at all but FP1 was good and I like stats and mechanics. At the end of the day you are going to put more effort into something you enjoy, maybe have a look at the topics that come up in physics in your exam board?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice :smile: I think my school does AQA for physics and Edexcel for maths, so i'll check the spec
Reply 11
I'm going to give all 5 a go, but if I had to choose 4 then I'd go physics > further maths for medicine
Original post by pathosL
I'm going to give all 5 a go, but if I had to choose 4 then I'd go physics > further maths for medicine

Good luck! I'm not doing 5 because there aren't any January exams...
Reply 13
Good luck! I'm not doing 5 because there aren't any January exams...

Yeah that's pretty stressful :/ hopefully they do come back
Reply 14
Hello, I'm sure you probably have seen many other threads just like this one, but I'm confused as to whether I should take Further Maths or Physics, and which would be more beneficial to a Medicine Degree?

I'm stronger at Maths than Physics, but my Physics teacher said that I am capable to do Physics A level, and i've heard that Further Maths overlaps with physics anyway?

My current A Level options at the moment are: Biology, Chemistry, Maths + Further Maths.

I dunno (as don't do medicine) but apparently doing Physics is useful for UKCAT/BMAT though even if you are stronger at maths than physics when you take the relative difficulties of further maths and physics into account then physics would probably be easier still
Reply 15

Physics is better. Lots of med schools don't like further maths, and many don't accept it, especially beyond AS. You'll be in a better position with physics!

See the wiki article on 'A level requirements' - med schools which don't accept FM as a separate subject are listed. Good luck!
Original post by Pastaferian
See the wiki article on 'A level requirements' - med schools which don't accept FM as a separate subject are listed. Good luck!

Reply 18
they are both so common...so it doesnt matte lol
http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/files/medical_schools_entry_requirement_june_2011_1.1.pdf

All you need to know on whether Further Maths is acceptable or not for Medicine for different universities. Don't ask me because I'm not actually a medicine applicant, but I'd seen this website before and it was very useful for a couple of my friends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending