The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
FadeToBlackout
On the other hand... explain why you've threatened to slap the boyfriend of a complete stranger who currently has a lot more experience and knowledge about Oxbridge than you? There's being pround and there's seeming arrogant...

She said her boyfriend would mock me to death if I came to Cambridge. Sounds like her boyfriend is an insecure bully. We all know how you deal with bullies.:wink:
Reply 21
bluefuture
She said her boyfriend would mock me to death if I came to Cambridge. Sounds like her boyfriend is an insecure bully. We all know how you deal with bullies.:wink:

I think she also implied that you were a ****.
bluefuture

Or maybe someone with a sense of humour... knowing Helen, I can't see her as the type to go out with an insecure bully.
Reply 23
Is this going anywhere?
Reply 24
Nowhere and back again baby.
Right. I know I'm stating info known to most but...
"I'd rather go to Oxford than St John's" is an old Cambridge taunt probably based on the fact that St John's was the only Cambridge college to back the Royalists during the Civil War (Oxford backed Charles I too). I'm not sure the OP is aware of this - not unreasonably if you aren't at Cambridge....
So to come from Oxford to St John's would be a mildly amusing thing to happen - and would probably lead to some teasing.
I think a bit of tribal banter has caused offence unintentionally.

To answer your question - it is possible to switch - but very rare and I suspect you start from scratch again. Some people do make move across to take a postgrad degree. The great example is A E Houseman - apparently a brilliant scholar who failed his finals at Oxford and eventually ended up Professor at Cambridge.
Reply 26
bluefuture

1) No, I meant that as someone doing the same subject as you at the same college, he'd be quite likely to meet you. And knowing him, would probably find you (as a significant number of this forum do, I suspect) quite amusing. There's nothing to do with bullying in it.

2) Since when has the "dealing with bullies" guide had "Threaten to slap them via an internet forum" as a workable solution.

Visesh and FTB are also pretty much right.
Ancient Monument
Right. I know I'm stating info known to most but...
"I'd rather go to Oxford than St John's" is an old Cambridge taunt probably based on the fact that St John's was the only Cambridge college to back the Royalists during the Civil War (Oxford backed Charles I too). I'm not sure the OP is aware of this - not unreasonably if you aren't at Cambridge....
So to come from Oxford to St John's would be a mildly amusing thing to happen - and would probably lead to some teasing.
I think a bit of tribal banter has caused offence unintentionally.

To answer your question - it is possible to switch - but very rare and I suspect you start from scratch again. Some people do make move across to take a postgrad degree. The great example is A E Houseman - apparently a brilliant scholar who failed his finals at Oxford and eventually ended up Professor at Cambridge.

Not meaning to be picky but Peterhouse also backed the royalists (we lost most of our fortune to help fund Charles' army). While I'm not sure about other colleges I reckon some such as the then-to-be-radicalised Kings might have backed the royalists too.......
bluefuture
Don't go all vague on me. Explain what bluefuture is thinking.
That he's the best thing since sliced bread and that because he's going to Oxford he's going to be enormously successful and since Oxbridge are superior to any other UK uni, he is therefore superior to anyone going to any other UK uni.

That's what Bluefuture is thinking. Here's what other people are thinking of Bluefuture :

He's a self opinionated, condescending ego driven fool who seems to under the false impression getting into Oxbridge puts you on the road to inevitable popularity, fame and wealth. Hopefully when he gets to Oxford and finds almost noone has the same cock-sure attitude he does he'll grow up a bit and maybe even pull his head out of his self-sycophantic backside.
I have never known how some people manage to contort their body in such a way as to lodge their head up their own arse, fascinating...
I got neg repped for my last post in this thread saying "It's people like me who make this country crap". Eh?!

How am I making it crap? By thinking that Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all? That places like York are decent unis (Bluefuture's humour isn't exactly apparent in the majority of his posts)?

I'm making this country crap by not being on a high horse about Cambridge it would seem....
AlphaNumeric
That he's the best thing since sliced bread and that because he's going to Oxford he's going to be enormously successful and since Oxbridge are superior to any other UK uni, he is therefore superior to anyone going to any other UK uni.

That's what Bluefuture is thinking. Here's what other people are thinking of Bluefuture :

He's a self opinionated, condescending ego driven fool who seems to under the false impression getting into Oxbridge puts you on the road to inevitable popularity, fame and wealth. Hopefully when he gets to Oxford and finds almost noone has the same cock-sure attitude he does he'll grow up a bit and maybe even pull his head out of his self-sycophantic backside.

*applauds*

That deserves a repping to balance out the (absurdly given) negative rep for having a sensible opinion about British universities.
Reply 32
AlphaNumeric

Oxford is hardly the key to becoming successful or famous! I know that as well as anybody. I tell you what does. Contacts, contacts and contacts. Something I have been relatively successful in doing throughout my gap year.

Blue is not cocksure either. You have no sense of humour.

You are such an sanctimonious muppet. i find you an amusing little specimen. You think your the voice of reason and are like.... so level headed dude.

:mad: But you are not. You are a muppet. No...you are a spotty little geek.
Reply 33
Before anyone responds to bluefuture again, STOP! Halt!

If you keep responding to him the joke is on you. Ignore him and he will go away.

Simple.
bluefuture
You are such an sanctimonious muppet. i find you an amusing little specimen. You think your the voice of reason and are like.... so level headed dude.

Truly the voice of maturity. I am sure all of your 'contacts' are impressed by your pleasant demeanour and charming way with words.
Reply 35
bluefuture

And you were calling other people insecure bullies?

AlphaNumeric, I will rep you, but I already gave mine out today. Should more than cover negative from most people :wink:
Reply 36
You can say what you like about blue's time here on TSR. However you cannot deny the popularity of his posts thus far. They get hits and encourage discussion if nothing else.

This post turned negative not because of blue but because of others.

I am going to leave you all behind on TSR. I find this website too addictive, too insular and in many ways the contentiousness of my posting has increased due to my boredom here. Maybe I was looking for a way out for a long time.

Anyway. Good luck guys and I will be seeing some of you shortly.....

bluex
bluefuture
However you cannot deny the popularity of his posts thus far.
Yes, that little red gem is testimony to that. Or is it that noone on the entire site gets your sense of humour?

Terribly mature of you to fall back onto the "Spotty geek" stereotype too, just because I said a few not so nice impressions of you (which others seem to agree on)? For someone soon to be at Oxford it seems a little silly.
Reply 38
Captain Crash
Not meaning to be picky but Peterhouse also backed the royalists (we lost most of our fortune to help fund Charles' army). While I'm not sure about other colleges I reckon some such as the then-to-be-radicalised Kings might have backed the royalists too.......

:eek:

ahem.
Reply 39
I am going to leave you all behind on TSR. I find this website too addictive, too insular and in many ways the contentiousness of my posting has increased due to my boredom here. Maybe I was looking for a way out for a long time.

Funny that, because we have been looking for a way to get rid of you. We should have pooled resources.

EDIT: Sorry, I've never been one to pass up a cheap shot. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending