The Student Room Group

Deloitte Final Interview 2013- Bright Start

This site helped me a lot through my interview process so I thought I would offer my experience.

Up until this point, my experience with Deloitte has been fantastic. Everyone has been warm and friendly, I have had human points of contact, with personal email addresses. My first interview was with two department managers within the sector I was applying for, and particularly the programme I would be under (Management Consultancy- People and Programmes). This interview was competency based and was a real opportunity to show off what you could do. I felt it went very well, lots of engaging talk and body language and was therefore not too surprised (but very happy!!!) when I received an offer for a final interview.

You are told that the final interview will be competency based whilst you also have to plan a presentation on a topic you are given. Well. My experience (and only mine personally) was horrific. My partner started by telling me he wanted to get to know me more however he specified that the interview would not, under any circumstances, run over the hour he'd prescribed. He started asking very obscure questions next about international trade and my opinions on social networking, all of which I managed to push through but they were not the kind of competency based questions I'd been expecting.

My interviewer went on to challenge every answer I gave, trying to make me second guess myself. I held my nerve but by this point was feeling exasperated and uncomfortable to say the least. He seemed to be asking me purposefully random questions as though trying to push me to breaking point. I did choke up at one point when he openly doubted my ability and said he wasn't sure why I had applied in the first place.

I then gave my presentation which I had spent a lot of time preparing only for him to barely mention it. The follow up questions were only loosely related and I felt as though he hadn't listened to me at all.

At the end of the interview, I was given the opportunity to ask any questions. When I brought into one of the questions why he'd painted one of my skills as a criticism he merely quoted "I don't believe i have criticised you at all." He then went on to make a point of how many other candidates there were and how I should be under no allusion that I would receive a call within two hours and would hear back within two weeks.

All in all not my favourite interview I've ever had. I suspect the partner was trying to push me to see how much I knew and how I handled myself when challenged however I feel it was a bit unfair in the, already highly pressurised, situation.

how did everyone else get on?
Reply 1
Hiya,

The whole point of partner interviews is to question you, try to make you change your mind and put you under pressure. This is because a lot of clients can act this way, where they completely disagree with you, or try to get you to stop asking questions. The partners need to know that they could put you in front of a difficult client and that you wouldn't buckle under the pressure or just give in.

It's obviously not the nicest experience, but try not to take away from it that he was being critical and harsh because he was a not nice person, or that you were doing badly, it is just a test and it sounds like you did okay.

It is not only you that gets difficult questions, it is what everyone goes through.
How did you get on elw1994? Got my final interview soon and your post just made me nervous...
Reply 3
Got offered the job and on reflection I'm glad my interview was how it was. This is a very difficult industry to be going into and you need to be tough. You can't just crumble in high pressured situations and I proved to my employer and myself I won't. I also feel like I earnt my place as it was a difficult process.
Congratulations! Its a pretty solid test of resilience.
Had my interview yesterday, which went pretty well although some of the questions were tricky. The interviewer was extremely pleasant so it seemed like yours was just having a bad day! Got a call from Deloitte today saying I was successful so I'm pretty chuffed about that!
Reply 6
Original post by elw1994
This site helped me a lot through my interview process so I thought I would offer my experience.

Up until this point, my experience with Deloitte has been fantastic. Everyone has been warm and friendly, I have had human points of contact, with personal email addresses. My first interview was with two department managers within the sector I was applying for, and particularly the programme I would be under (Management Consultancy- People and Programmes). This interview was competency based and was a real opportunity to show off what you could do. I felt it went very well, lots of engaging talk and body language and was therefore not too surprised (but very happy!!!) when I received an offer for a final interview.

You are told that the final interview will be competency based whilst you also have to plan a presentation on a topic you are given. Well. My experience (and only mine personally) was horrific. My partner started by telling me he wanted to get to know me more however he specified that the interview would not, under any circumstances, run over the hour he'd prescribed. He started asking very obscure questions next about international trade and my opinions on social networking, all of which I managed to push through but they were not the kind of competency based questions I'd been expecting.

My interviewer went on to challenge every answer I gave, trying to make me second guess myself. I held my nerve but by this point was feeling exasperated and uncomfortable to say the least. He seemed to be asking me purposefully random questions as though trying to push me to breaking point. I did choke up at one point when he openly doubted my ability and said he wasn't sure why I had applied in the first place.

I then gave my presentation which I had spent a lot of time preparing only for him to barely mention it. The follow up questions were only loosely related and I felt as though he hadn't listened to me at all.

At the end of the interview, I was given the opportunity to ask any questions. When I brought into one of the questions why he'd painted one of my skills as a criticism he merely quoted "I don't believe i have criticised you at all." He then went on to make a point of how many other candidates there were and how I should be under no allusion that I would receive a call within two hours and would hear back within two weeks.

All in all not my favourite interview I've ever had. I suspect the partner was trying to push me to see how much I knew and how I handled myself when challenged however I feel it was a bit unfair in the, already highly pressurised, situation.

how did everyone else get on?

first of all partner interviews are very personalised, they dont follow any laid down rules.

they are supposed to ask some competencies but they mostly follow just commercial awareness.

they try to develop a conversation on the commercial front and follow on to see how well you have researched the role and what they do..

you are not supposed to know everything, you are not supposed to answer them all.. sometimes an honest: "i really have no idea what that is" is better than trying to show knowledge where there's not.. remember they are partners practising for the past 12-15 years in their field. there's nothing you will know about their business they wouldn't know.

however you are not supposed to cave in, you are not supposed to feel exasperated, best smile and keep the conversation flowing, find key words he uses and see if you researched about that..
Reply 7
bear in mind partner interviews are supposed to test you to the limit. they are the best in their fields: with accumlative 12-15 years in the least.

some for 25 years; they are maestros; none the less you are not supposed to crumble thats a key test.

they are not supposed to follow any laid down rule, they choose what to ask you unlike the pre-prepared competencies of a manager level or first interview.

knowing they are supreme allows you to follow their conversation looking out for words that you can hop on to join in conversation.

by reading (commercial awareness) you are most likely going to pass. they try to keep to recent news articles hoping you have been reading. give an opinion but know why that opinion, it doesnt have to be right but you at least show you have read..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending