jessica_anne_clu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've just been reading through my notes on Energy supply for muscle contraction and I understand everything apart from one section.

My notes say that slow-twitch fibres rely largely on ATP generated by aerobic respiration, whereas fast-twitch fibres rely mainly on existing supplies of ATP, phosophocreatine and ATP generated by anaerobic respiration.
When distinguishing differents between the two types of muscle fibre, my notes say:

Slow-twitch fibres have a large store of myoglobin (which is an oxygen store). This makes sense as oxygen is required for respiration. However, it then says that they have little glycogen present (which is a glucose store). Surely the slow-twitch fibres should have high numbers of glycogen to provide all of the glucose required for aerobic respiration?

So confused! :confused::confused:
Fiona93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Slow twich fibres do have a source if glycogen to provide glucose for respiration!
jessica_anne_clu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fiona93)
Slow twich fibres do have a source if glycogen to provide glucose for respiration!
Yes but it says that slow-twitch fibres have little store of glycogen whereas fast-twitch fibres have a large store of glycogen, which is what I don't understand
Surely slow-twitch fibres should have large stores of myoglobin and glycogen? :confused:
Fiona93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jessica_anne_clu)
Yes but it says that slow-twitch fibres have little store of glycogen whereas fast-twitch fibres have a large store of glycogen, which is what I don't understand
Surely slow-twitch fibres should have large stores of myoglobin and glycogen? :confused:
Hmm odd. Well I've just had a check in my book as well to make sure and it says that for slow twitch fibres there is a large store of myoglobin and a supply of glycogen(large or small amount, I don't know!). For the fast twitch it says there is a large store of phosphocreatine but doesn't mention glycogen! If the notes you have made are confusing you I would recommend going back through your exercise book and have a look!
Attached files
Otaku101
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's strange, my notes say that slow twitch fibres have lots of glycogen storage! ^^
Fiona93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Otaku101)
That's strange, my notes say that slow twitch fibres have lots of glycogen storage! ^^
That's really weird then. Maybe it's just to do with the exam boards we're on!
jessica_anne_clu
Rep:
?
Hmm odd. Well I've just had a check in my book as well to make sure and it says that for slow twitch fibres there is a large store of myoglobin and a supply of glycogen(large or small amount, I don't know!). For the fast twitch it says there is a large store of phosphocreatine but doesn't mention glycogen! If the notes you have made are confusing you I would recommend going back through your exercise book and have a look!
Ahh okay, thanks for clearing that up! I'll look in two of my biology books and see what is says in there! Are you doing AQA?
jessica_anne_clu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Otaku101)
Hmm I'm not sure why this is what exam board are you doing? Mine's AQA but it may be different across boards!
Fiona93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ahh okay, thanks for clearing that up! I'll look in two of my biology books and see what is says in there! Are you doing AQA?
yeah I am doing AQA!
jessica_anne_clu
Rep:
?
yeah I am doing AQA!
Ahh okay, good luck for the exam tomorrow if you are doing Unit 5!

Do you happen to know about DNA Sequencing: the Sanger Method by any chance? I just can't get my head around it

Thanks
Fiona93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ahh okay, good luck for the exam tomorrow if you are doing Unit 5!

Do you happen to know about DNA Sequencing: the Sanger Method by any chance? I just can't get my head around it

Thanks
And good luck to you!
Umm it's a bit confusing to explain but basically you have 4 test tubes, each with all the different nucleotides in and the single strands of DNA to be sequenced(like a template) And in each different test tube you have either an A,T,C or G terminator nucleotide. These modified so that they join onto the complementary base but don't allow anything to join next to it, so it's basically cutting the sequence short. Using primers and DNA polymerase you get the bases to join on to the single strand you want to sequence. Then using gel electrophoresis on each terminator test tube you would be able to determine the first base in the sequence. The one that has travelled the furthest is the lightest DNA fragment and so must have terminated at the beginning. If this is say from the terminator A test tube, you know that the first base was complementary to adenine. If The second lightest fragment was from the terminator C test tube you know that the second base in the sequence Is complementary to cytosine. And so on...

I'm not sure if this helps at all! But this is just the way my brain works haha
Good luck in the exam!!
jessica_anne_clu
Rep:
?
And good luck to you!
Umm it's a bit confusing to explain but basically you have 4 test tubes, each with all the different nucleotides in and the single strands of DNA to be sequenced(like a template) And in each different test tube you have either an A,T,C or G terminator nucleotide. These modified so that they join onto the complementary base but don't allow anything to join next to it, so it's basically cutting the sequence short. Using primers and DNA polymerase you get the bases to join on to the single strand you want to sequence. Then using gel electrophoresis on each terminator test tube you would be able to determine the first base in the sequence. The one that has travelled the furthest is the lightest DNA fragment and so must have terminated at the beginning. If this is say from the terminator A test tube, you know that the first base was complementary to adenine. If The second lightest fragment was from the terminator C test tube you know that the second base in the sequence Is complementary to cytosine. And so on...

I'm not sure if this helps at all! But this is just the way my brain works haha
Good luck in the exam!!
Thank you! Certainly clears up some of the questions I was having, good luck for your exam tomorrow too!!! xx
Machares
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ayyy lad,

Both types of Muscle fibres have a store of Glycogen. The key difference is that Fast-Twitch Muscle Fibres have a higher number of Glycolytic Enzymes in order to break down Glycogen into usable Glucose quicker.

Much love
GayleO
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Both types of fibres contain glycogen stores, though the slow-twitch contains a smaller glycogen store. Yes, it needs this as a supply of glucose for aerobic respiration, but these fibres are also well-supplied with blood, so it has an external source of glucose that it can rely on for respiration, rather than being exclusively dependent on intracellular stores of glucose. The fast-twitch fibres are not well supplied with blood, so need to have a larger storage of glycogen from which to hydrolyse glucose units for anaerobic respiration (glycolysis).

Hope that's helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (54)
39.71%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
16.91%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
4.41%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (13)
9.56%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (15)
11.03%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (12)
8.82%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
9.56%

Watched Threads