The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Further Pure 2 Answers June 2013

1. 1 (5 marks)

2. (i) Show (3 marks)

(ii) x=ln(2±3)x=\ln (2 \pm \sqrt {3}) and x=ln(3±22)x=\ln (3 \pm 2 \sqrt 2) (5 marks)

3. (i) Show (6 marks)

(ii) 12ln2x2+x24\frac{1}{2} \ln 2 - \frac{x}{2} + \frac{x^2}{4} (4 marks)

4. (i) Show (5 marks)

(ii) 256693\frac{256}{693}

5. (i) Show (3 marks)

(ii) x2=0.72652x_2 = -0.72652

x3=0.72611x_3 = -0.72611

α=0.72611\alpha = -0.72611 (3 marks)

(iii) x1x_1 is to the right of the stationary point sending the tangent away from the negative root and this means NR will find the positive root(2 marks)

6. (i) Show (3 marks)

(ii) 3nr=1nln(ln(3+3rn)\frac{3}{n} \sum_{r=1}^n \ln (\ln (3+\frac{3r}{n}) (1 mark)

(iii) 1468 (4 marks)

7. (i) x = -1, x = 7, y = 1 (3 marks)

(ii) (3,12)(-3, \frac{1}{2}) and (13,18)(\frac{1}{3}, -\frac{1}{8}) (5 marks)

(iii) (43,1)(-\frac{4}{3}, 1) (3 marks)

(iv) Sketch (3 marks)

8. (i) r=1+cosθr=1+\cos \theta (3 marks)

(ii) Sketch (2 marks)

(iii) 1 : 3 (6 marks)
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for the answers Mr M. By the looks of it I may have gotten what I needed for my university offer which is great! (well assuming my sketches and show that's are all valid, and the extra paper I used doesn't go missing haha :biggrin: )

How did you find this paper in comparison to other FP2 papers out of interest?
Thank you very much for the great work as per usual Mr. M - I'll miss your posts next year when I have nowhere to look up answers :tongue:

Just a couple of questions,

Q2.ii, I forgot to put plus/minus in my answers. Will it cost me 1 mark or 2 marks?

Q3, I only managed to find the first derivative of f(x). How many marks will I lose there out of 6?

Q5.iii, I would have assumed that the answer would be that the NR method will lead to the positive root rather than the negative root. Am I incorrect/discredited of marks for saying this?

thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
for part 3ii) would i lose a mark if i put tanh^-1(1/3) instead of 0.5ln2?
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M

If I put all of these but also y=0, would I still get all 3 marks?
Original post by Genesis2703
Thanks for the answers Mr M. By the looks of it I may have gotten what I needed for my university offer which is great! (well assuming my sketches and show that's are all valid, and the extra paper I used doesn't go missing haha :biggrin: )

How did you find this paper in comparison to other FP2 papers out of interest?

Good to hear.

I found it pretty reasonable. The last one required a good sketch to figure out what was going on.
Original post by RooT_Fifteen
Thank you very much for the great work as per usual Mr. M - I'll miss your posts next year when I have nowhere to look up answers :tongue:

Just a couple of questions,

Q2.ii, I forgot to put plus/minus in my answers. Will it cost me 1 mark or 2 marks?

Q3, I only managed to find the first derivative of f(x). How many marks will I lose there out of 6?

Q5.iii, I would have assumed that the answer would be that the NR method will lead to the positive root rather than the negative root. Am I incorrect/discredited of marks for saying this?

thanks in advance :smile:

2ii) drop 1

3) drop 4

5iii) yes that's right, I'll change my wording to improve my answer
Original post by Mr M
2ii) drop 1

3) drop 4

5iii) yes that's right, I'll change my wording to improve my answer

Thank you very much!
Original post by ila4e123
for part 3ii) would i lose a mark if i put tanh^-1(1/3) instead of 0.5ln2?

No I don't think so.
I wasn't sure from the working of the question, we're we supposed to give x2 and x3 to 5dp as well as alpha or just alpha?
I gave the other to greater accuracy and alpha to 5, hope I don't lose makes for that :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ninuzu
If I put all of these but also y=0, would I still get all 3 marks?

Drop 1 I expect.
Original post by tooambitious
I wasn't sure from the working of the question, we're we supposed to give x2 and x3 to 5dp as well as alpha or just alpha?
I gave the other to greater accuracy and alpha to 5, hope I don't lose makes for that :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you are supposed to give them to more figures than 5 d.p. (I didn't write them down to more and couldn't be bothered to do them again!).
Original post by Mr M
No you are supposed to give them to more figures than 5 d.p. (I didn't write them down to more and couldn't be bothered to do them again!).

Excellent, thought so, thanks very much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Hi Mr M, thanks for the answers! Regarding the last question, I made a fatal horror error in writing the formula x^2+y^2 = r compared to r squared. I therefore didnt get the correct equation and therefore my sketch etc were wrong as well. Will I lose all the marks for the question i.e. 0/11
Hi Mr M, thanks for the answers - incredibly useful as always!

For 2(ii) I didn't put in the negative roots (formula book on expresses inverse cosh as ln(x+root(x^2-1)))
For 3(ii) I mistakenly put f(0) as 0
For 8(iii) I accidentally evaluated the integral between 0 and pi/2 as 3pi/8, not 3pi/8+1 - that meant when I took away the triangle, I got the ratio of areas as 9pi/8:3pi/8-1

How many marks do you imagine I would lose for the above?
Reply 15
Original post by Mr M

1. 1 (5 marks)

2. (i) Show (3 marks)

(ii) x=ln(2±3)x=\ln (2 \pm \sqrt {3}) and x=ln(3±22)x=\ln (3 \pm 2 \sqrt 2) (5 marks)

3. (i) Show (6 marks)

(ii) 12ln2x2+x24\frac{1}{2} \ln 2 - \frac{x}{2} + \frac{x^2}{4} (4 marks)

4. (i) Show (5 marks)

(ii) 256693\frac{256}{693}

5. (i) Show (3 marks)

(ii) x2=0.72652x_2 = -0.72652

x3=0.72611x_3 = -0.72611

α=0.72611\alpha = -0.72611 (3 marks)

(iii) x1x_1 is to the right of the stationary point sending the tangent away from the negative root and this means NR will find the positive root(2 marks)

6. (i) Show (3 marks)

(ii) 3nr=1nln(ln(3+3rn)\frac{3}{n} \sum_{r=1}^n \ln (\ln (3+\frac{3r}{n}) (1 mark)

(iii) 1468 (4 marks)

(ii) (3,12)(-3, \frac{1}{2}) and (13,18)(\frac{1}{3}, -\frac{1}{8}) (5 marks)

(iii) (43,1)(-\frac{4}{3}, 1) (3 marks)

(iv) Sketch (3 marks)

8. (i) r=1+cosθr=1+\cos \theta (3 marks)

(ii) Sketch (2 marks)

(iii) 1 : 3 (6 marks)

For the last question I did the area between 2pi and 0 but didn't get time to do anything else. How many would I lose. Also for stationary points I accidentally put the wrong signs for the x values and consequently got the y values wrong. Because of this would I lose all 3 for the next graph? Thanks
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but for 7i) why is y=0 not an asymptote? Since it's x^2 + 1 on top surely it is impossible to get y=0?
Original post by InfamousMrM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but for 7i) why is y=0 not an asymptote? Since it's x^2 + 1 on top surely it is impossible to get y=0?

The graph does not tend towards y = 0 at all. With your reasoning anything between y=-1/8 and y = 1/2 would be an asymptote as the curve is not defined there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hornet_56
Hi Mr M, thanks for the answers! Regarding the last question, I made a fatal horror error in writing the formula x^2+y^2 = r compared to r squared. I therefore didnt get the correct equation and therefore my sketch etc were wrong as well. Will I lose all the marks for the question i.e. 0/11

I'm sure some follow-through marks will be available to prevent significant disadvantage.
Sorry if I didn't get to your question, I have to do some work now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending