The Student Room Group

Enzymes question

When enzymes dissolve in water do bonds break in the enzyme, changing the active site shape. Or do they not change shape has enzymes carry out their function in water?
Yeah they are fine in water. Otherwise amylase in the mouth wouldnt work due to saliva!
Reply 2
rpb
OP
Original post by Jediknight69
Yeah they are fine in water. Otherwise amylase in the mouth wouldnt work due to saliva!

Ok, thanks so if a enzyme is soluble no tertiary bonds will break?
Reply 3
Original post by rpb
When enzymes dissolve in water do bonds break in the enzyme, changing the active site shape. Or do they not change shape has enzymes carry out their function in water?

You are confused with the word dissolves I think, it means each enzymes is separated from each other, not that the actual enzymes breaks up :smile:
Enzymes are globular proteins, and are soluble in water. The tertiary structure will not break
Reply 5
rpb
OP
Original post by DudeBoy
You are confused with the word dissolves I think, it means each enzymes is separated from each other, not that the actual enzymes breaks up :smile:

On another thread to do with the By1 exam there was a question in the paper on why immobilised enzymes can't be soluble and some people wrote that the bonds holding the tertiary structure together would break if the enzyme is soluble. I thought this was wrong and confused me:smile: Is it because if the immobilised enzyme was soluble the enzyme would mix with the products making it hard to separate?:s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by rpb
On another thread to do with the By1 exam there was a question in the paper on why immobilised enzymes can't be soluble and some people wrote that the bonds holding the tertiary structure together would break if the enzyme is soluble. I thought this was wrong and confused me:smile: Is it because if the immobilised enzyme was soluble the enzyme would mix with the products making it hard to separate?:s-smilie:

If it is soluble it is not immobilised :smile:
When an enzymes is immobolised it goes from soluble to insoluble :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending