The Student Room Group

ALL the questions I have about uni

So, theres probably gonna be a lot, but you DON'T have to answer all of them but it would be sooooo helpful if you could answer any you can! So PLEASE help me out!!!

Pros and cons and personal experience needed from anyone at uni please

1) should I live on a campus uni and pay for accomodation or stay at home and commute everyday?
2) what can I do to help narrow down the list of unis that do my couree?
3) if I cant attend open days, what alternative things can I do?
4) how do you know if youve made the right choice about course/uni?
5) when choosing the right course for you, sometimes they can get really specific, how could I narrow the list of potential couses down?
6) if I live on campus, how do I sort out finances, should I get a job?

7) any other comments or advice you can give?-- even if its unrelated to my questions, as long as its about uni it would also be really useful for me. I want to get as much info as I can, so even just general uni comments Id apprieciate!

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey :smile:

1) This year I stayed at home and commuted and I absolutely HATED it. I felt like I missed out on all the first year halls experience and missed out on a lot of the social life. So I definitely recommend moving out if you can afford it.
2) Which course is it that you want to do? Search your course into google? There's always answers on google. Or you'll just have to go through the websites of the universities you are interested in and see if they do the course you would like to do.
3) I believe a lot of universities provide tours for those who aren't able to make open days on a day that is suitable for both of you. Other than that, you're best reading up about the university and reading as many reviews as possible from the students. But I believe it is important to visit the university before you make your choice because you really need to get a feel for the place.
4) That's the thing, sometimes you don't know. Again you should try and attend the open days because they give talks about most of the courses and therefore you will get a feel for what the course is like and if it is suitable for you. There is also a curriculum break-down on most of the university websites for each of the courses. And if you choose a course, are in it for a few weeks and decide it isn't for you, then not to worry, a lot of universities allow you to change into another course as long as it isn't full.
5) Again, by reading up on the courses you are interested in or attending open day talks. You can always email the university and usually the head of the specific department you'd be studying within will email you back and help with any queries you may have.
6) If you live in the UK then you can get roughly £4500 on a student loan without it being income-assessed. Yes you can get a job to help, I have worked in Boots throughout studying at university and it works just fine. Plus the extra cash is good because first year is full of partying, partying and more partying.

7) My main advice would just be; move out, make sure you visit the university before choosing it, and don't stress out about it :smile:

Hope this helped!
Reply 2
Thank you SO much!!! You are amazing :smile:
I want to take a course that is English based, but someyimes they can get as specific as Renaissance literature and stuff like that.
Would I get the student loan from the university or would I apply to.. someone?
I'm really glad that you suggested looking at reviews, thats something I havent done, and also, will the email addresses be on their websites somewhere?
Thank you so much for replying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hahaha thank you :smile:

Yeah sure, English sounds hard! I'm on the biology end of things so I always was rubbish at English!
You get a student loan from a student awards company. In Scotland for example, you get it from a government run company called SAAS. It is similar for the rest of the UK but with a different student loan company. But don't worry, your school will help you with all the details when it comes to it.
There's quite a lot of student review websites I think! Yeah there's always an office number and an email address for general enquiries. If the general office sees fit, then they will pass along the email to a more experienced and knowledgeable member of the university to contact you back. That's what happens at Glasgow University anyway :smile:
Your welcome!
Reply 4
Aw thank you so much again :smile:

Thats funny because I found biology quite hard, I understood it, I could just never do the exams!

And I will definately take up on all the advice you've given me, you have been a really great help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) should I live on a campus uni and pay for accomodation or stay at home and commute everyday?
Live on campus. You'll be independent, close to uni, meet lots of new people, and generally have the 'uni experience' that most people want. Plus, depending on how far you are commuting, you may find that it is no more expensive to live in halls.

At the very least, live in halls for first year, so that (a) you know what you're missing, and (b) you have a social circle around you even if you do decide to move back home for second year.

Look at
- entry requirements
- what modules are available - two courses with the same name can have very different content, which is different to A Level
- where they are within the country - you may want to get away from home, but going to Aberdeen if you're from Southampton might be a bit far.
- academic reputation
- professional accreditation (where relevant)
- course structure
- assessment methods

I'd really encourage you to attend the open day of any university you think you might actually end up going to before you firm / insure it. They can be very useful in terms of getting a feel for the place, and often some things only become evident when you get there. I know that going stopped me from attending (and possibly dropping out of) a university I would have hated.

Universities also often offer guided tours on a fairly regular basis (Weds afternoons are a common time to have them), though these will invariably lack the subject-specific element that open days have.

You wouldn't buy a house without viewing it, so don't spend £30,000 on your education without viewing it first.

In many ways, you only really know once you've got there. However, I (and many other people) have found that they got a gut feeling about the university when they visited on an open day, and followed that. I followed my gut feeling, and it has been absolutely correct.

5) when choosing the right course for you, sometimes they can get really specific, how could I narrow the list of potential couses down?
If you don't want such a narrow choice, then there are broader courses in English available, and you should go for one of those. Have a look on www.ucas.ac.uk and use the course search function.

After that, you should use the answer to question 2.

Student finance is means tested, and so I would suggest using the student finance calculator to work out how much money you will get. http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=153,4680136&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

You may also be eligible for a bursary from your university. These can be quite generous e.g. Manchester gives out up to £3000 per student per year. Bursaries, unlike scholarships, are guaranteed if your household income is low enough.

7) any other comments or advice you can give?-- even if its unrelated to my questions, as long as its about uni it would also be really useful for me. I want to get as much info as I can, so even just general uni comments Id apprieciate!Do your research, remember that it's normal to feel nervous, go to open days, leave home, do the work when you get there, and feel free to ask TSR for advice :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you so much!!! I'm panicking a lot about all these choices, I feel a bit overwhelmed with it all!

This is going to help me so much Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Raffa1
So, theres probably gonna be a lot, but you DON'T have to answer all of them but it would be sooooo helpful if you could answer any you can! So PLEASE help me out!!!

7) any other comments or advice you can give?-- even if its unrelated to my questions, as long as its about uni it would also be really useful for me. I want to get as much info as I can, so even just general uni comments Id apprieciate!

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would live at the uni, you are at the centre of everything its great being independent and away from home, you make so many friends and its such an amazing experience. Don't choose a uni just because it is the closest to you choose the best ones you can get into for your course if you can then choose between those.

I looked at what uni's offer the course you want to do and then look at things like the course content see which one you like the most, what you think of the actual uni, maybe have a look on uni stats see what the students think of the course, the employment rate etc. Personally I am going to uni to get a good job when I graduate so I looked at the courses with the best employment rates and the league tables (although beware uni's move around the chart a ridiculous amount every year so don't pay too much attention but they are useful). Then I narrowed it down to what I thought about the course content and the actual university etc.

I can't go to my second choice which is annoying it's too far away and they don't have an open day until September which is when I will start, the only thing I can do is campus tour but it's really expensive to get there for it so i'm not sure if I will go to one. They often do virtual tours, but research the uni on here and see what other people have said about it and see if you can watch videos and find out as much as you can about it

You don't you just have to hope, go with your gut instinct though. I went for the uni with the best reputation for my course (animation) but when I visited the uni's I liked a different one more but the emplyment rate isnt very high for animation so I wanted the best choice and my course is to technical and I hate it. I'm applying to do Business and Management now instead and going to a different uni alltogether. Student Finanace will finance one whole course and an extra year, a lot of people change their minds or fail so just do what you feel is right for you, you can always change but stick it out for the year so your sure.

If your from England you need to apply for Student Finance, uni is ridiculously expensive so unless your parents are mega rich you needs loans from Student Finance. It does go on household income though so the more your parents earn the less you get as they are expected to contribute and most cant or dont so it is pretty unfair. If your household income is over £60,000 you get the minimum loan which is £3500, you get more if you go to uni in London. Use the student finance calculator to find out how much you will get and look at accomodation of the uni's you like and see what you need. You can work it depends how intensive your course is, I worked all Saturday for this year at uni and don't particularly like it but I needed the money next year I'm just going to see if I can get maybe a four hour shift on a weekday so I can visit my boyfriend or go home on some weekends. I can work all summer though to make up the money which might be a better option. Also look at Bursarys and scholarships you might be eligible for.

Make sure what your going to do and where you go feels right to you. If your unsure about what course to do maybe pick something where there is a career at the end of it, it's pretty hard to get a job after you graduate so try and make it easier for yourself and courses with a placement year are always a good choice. Ultimately go with your gut instinct I guess and do something you will enjoy.

Good Luck, I hope that helped and feel free to ask anymore questions.
Reply 8
This is going to be really useful! Particularly your answer to Q3 and 6 so thank you soo much!!! :smile: :smile:

I do have one more question now, if I live in halls/on campus, how far away from home should I go? And is it better to go to a spread out one or one that is all in one place?

Again thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Raffa1
This is going to be really useful! Particularly your answer to Q3 and 6 so thank you soo much!!! :smile: :smile:

I do have one more question now, if I live in halls/on campus, how far away from home should I go? And is it better to go to a spread out one or one that is all in one place?

Again thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on how much you want to go home or how much you want family to visit you.
For my first uni I'm only an hour and a half from home working on a saturday I cant go home unless its a holiday but my parents visited every month which was nice. I only looked at uni's that were in the South the furthest were 3 hours away but this time all of them are in the Midlands so 2-4 hours away and my second choice is in the North East so 5 hours away which is really scary but ultimately I think it depends on how much you like the course and uni, then look at distance and consider all other factors.

The unversity I'm at at the moment is pretty spread out, the main campus is quite small but the majority of the accomodation is a 15 minute bus journey away and in slightly different places. It's not bad, it's good for shopping and for going out but I think I would prefer a campus uni as It will have more of a uni spirit if that makes sense. It depends what you want more, but see if you can go to a few open days where one is spread out and one is a campus uni and see which you like more.
Reply 10
Yeah I think its best if my parents can at lrast visit me occasionally, especially if I find it hard to make friends straight away. And I agree in that a campus uni will probably have more of a community spirit about them, thats a nice way of putting it

It sounds like open days are the most important factor in these decisions! But its going to be hard to visit ones far away. Hopefully I'll manage :smile:

Thanks again for replying to me, its really helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Raffa1
Yeah I think its best if my parents can at lrast visit me occasionally, especially if I find it hard to make friends straight away. And I agree in that a campus uni will probably have more of a community spirit about them, thats a nice way of putting it

It sounds like open days are the most important factor in these decisions! But its going to be hard to visit ones far away. Hopefully I'll manage :smile:

Thanks again for replying to me, its really helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats alright im in a similarish situation so good luck with everything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Raffa1

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) Live on uni, if you can afford it. The social experience of living semi-by-yourself is useful.
2) Look at the course in depth, and see if it covers stuff that really interests you. Go through any in your predicted-grades range and see how they all line up. Make sure to have 1 or 2 choices as a reserve, in case you mess up on the day (it happens to the best of us).
3) Examine prospectuses and so forth. Ignore the league tables; the general division is that the Russell and 1994 groups are good, the rest are either middling or bad (though this isn't a precise rule).
4) You don't, but go with your instincts. If you like the course and campus, you should be OK. Don't feel pressured by the opinions of others or of league tables.
5) Depends on what you want from the course, really. Don't be daunted by how complex courses and modules sound; they don't give people anything ridiculously complex (or not straight away, anyway). Most will allow you to choose the modules you want, to an extent.
6) Depends, again :tongue: if you're taking a student loan, it doesn't hurt, but you can probably survive without one. Maybe. Depends on the accommodation costs. You can probably live off of 2-300 a month for you general living needs.
7) If you're doing English, don't expect to get a job :tongue: it's a great subject to study.
Reply 13
Thank you so so much! :smile:
Haha, I dont expect to get a job, id like one, but yeah I understand that
Interesting about the Russel and 1994 groups- I'd heard of them but didnt really know what they meant, so maybe I should have a look on google at that.
I'm really glad you included things like the average cost of living and which groups of unis are best because those are simple things people often forget to bring up, and I would have been clueless otherwise.

So thank you very much, this is much appreciated! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LHC
Hey :smile:

1) This year I stayed at home and commuted and I absolutely HATED it. I felt like I missed out on all the first year halls experience and missed out on a lot of the social life. So I definitely recommend moving out if you can afford it.
2) Which course is it that you want to do? Search your course into google? There's always answers on google. Or you'll just have to go through the websites of the universities you are interested in and see if they do the course you would like to do.
3) I believe a lot of universities provide tours for those who aren't able to make open days on a day that is suitable for both of you. Other than that, you're best reading up about the university and reading as many reviews as possible from the students. But I believe it is important to visit the university before you make your choice because you really need to get a feel for the place.
4) That's the thing, sometimes you don't know. Again you should try and attend the open days because they give talks about most of the courses and therefore you will get a feel for what the course is like and if it is suitable for you. There is also a curriculum break-down on most of the university websites for each of the courses. And if you choose a course, are in it for a few weeks and decide it isn't for you, then not to worry, a lot of universities allow you to change into another course as long as it isn't full.
5) Again, by reading up on the courses you are interested in or attending open day talks. You can always email the university and usually the head of the specific department you'd be studying within will email you back and help with any queries you may have.
6) If you live in the UK then you can get roughly £4500 on a student loan without it being income-assessed. Yes you can get a job to help, I have worked in Boots throughout studying at university and it works just fine. Plus the extra cash is good because first year is full of partying, partying and more partying.

7) My main advice would just be; move out, make sure you visit the university before choosing it, and don't stress out about it :smile:

Hope this helped!

Thats the figure from SAAS for Scottish students, its actually £1000 less from SFE
Original post by Raffa1

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) live on campus- that way you are nearer to facilities and it makes it easier to make friends
2) look at entry requirements, no point applying to a uni which doesnt meet the criteria and also consider what kind of uni you want to go to e.g. city centre uni thats not campus based, or rural campus uni or campus near a city.
3) do try and visit universities, if you cant make specific open days unis will be happy to have you at other times for a guided tour (Sheffield for example did them once a week when I went to have a look). If not do as much research online as you can- look at the uni website, tsr e.c.t
but if you cant get there for an open day how will you get there when its time to move.
4) tbh it can be hard to tell which is why some people drop out but make sure its what you want to study and where you want to go and not your parents decision and something your passionate about
6) if your parents earn £25k or under and your English you'll get enough from SFE and your uni bursary to more than keep you going for a year. Otherwise if your parents aren't prepared to help you out financially then you might need a job, especially if going to somewhere with more expensive accomodation e.g Birmingham or Durham
Reply 16
Thanks!! :smile:
Its probably a stupid question.. but what does SFE stand for?
And I live in south east london, but I do think I'll be leaving home, so does that mean that they wont take my parents income into account, because I dont particularly want them to pay for it, and they probably wouldnt anyway, so do I start paying straight away even thoigh my income will technically be zero and I'll probably be living on campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Raffa1
And I live in south east london, but I do think I'll be leaving home, so does that mean that they wont take my parents income into account, because I dont particularly want them to pay for it, and they probably wouldnt anyway, so do I start paying straight away even thoigh my income will technically be zero and I'll probably be living on campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Student finance England, and your parents income will still be taken into account unless you have been independently self sufficient for I think it's 3 years. looks like everyone else answered your questions. Any more?
Original post by Raffa1

Again thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How far away you are shouldn't be the biggest factor in your decision, but you should be aware that
- you can be too close - some unis won't allow local students to stay in halls because there isn't enough space. In addition, you don't want to find yourself going home every weekend as if you do, then you won't really settle.
- you can be too far away - you want to be able to get home if it's really important to you, for instance for a weekend.

That leaves you with a sort of happy medium. I'm about 3 hours away from home by train (or 4 hours by car) and I think it's a fairly nice distance as I can't go home every weekend, my parents can't just randomly pop in, but if I do really want to go home then it is possible to go for the weekend - travel down on the Friday night and back up on Sunday night, which gives me two days there. I'd say that this happy medium probably ranges from about 1 hour away to 5 or 6 hours away.

When you refer to one that is 'all together or more spread out', I think you're referring to the difference between a campus uni and a city uni. Again, this is something that shouldn't be the biggest factor in your decision by any means. All unis will have all the buildings for each academic subject in one place (though some subjects could be in different places e.g. vet med or engineering) and whilst the halls might be a short distance away, there are invariably good transport options to uni. Campus unis can have a tendency to be a bit isolated and on the edge of the city, whereas city unis tend to be a bit more integrated and close to the action (and don't believe that they don't have spirit!)

Original post by Raffa1

Posted from TSR Mobile

SFE = Student Finance England, the body that funds your education.

Your parental income will be taken into account, even if you do leave home. There is an expectation that should your parents have the financial means to do so (which is assessed on the basis of income, not outgoings) then they will contribute to your education financially. If your parental income is at a level that means you get reduced student finance, then you need to sit down with them, explain the situation, and explain that your income has been reduced because their income is high, and therefore they are expected to make up the difference.
Reply 19
I think I'm okay for now, I may have more questions at a more decent hour!
But thats interesting, its going to be something else I'll have to really consider.
Campus vs. City uni is what I meant. Can a campus uni be in a city though?
And also, I havent done much looking so far, but Bath Spa uni looks quite nice, does anyone know anything about it?
Thank you all for helping me, I know ive already said that a million times, but I do really appreciate it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending