Turn on thread page Beta

arsenal watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    hmm - probably thinks van nistelrooy is better than Henry ... but he's not and i hear he is going to Real Madrid this summer
    Nistelrooy is a better player than Henry, in his position.
    He may not fill the same roles as Henry, but in the roles he does play, he is a better player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    i can't think of any player that is better than Henry at the moment.

Zidane is class, Totti has been awesome and even bergkamp is still amazing but nobody touces henry on current form
    absolutely though i think totti is sometimes overrated - he didnt come through for Roma last season when they needed him to - he didnt live up to the hype and the legend - good call on Bergkamp - age is on henry's side but Bergy is still a master - henry is undoubtedly the best at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    No. Man U have performed pretty well, and although i admit they haven't been good enough to win the premiership so far this season, i think they have a better team than Arsenal do.
    Man U do not have a better team any more, Keane is past his best at the moment and Giggs isn't as good as he once was, these 2 previosuly were unstoppable and I think that has been what contributes to their decline.

Saying that I think Man U are 1 point better off than they were this time last year, it's just that Arsenal have got much better, the emergence of Toure to replace Keown being a key reason as well as replacing Seaman.

ReputationRep:
    who would you rate above Henry in his position as an out and out striker and as a creator of many many goals?
    Nistelrooy is a better out and out, and i'd say there are a few other players in both positions who fill the roles better, although its hard to think of a player who fills both roles as well as Henry.

ReputationRep:
    Man U do not have a better team any more, Keane is past his best at the moment and Giggs isn't as good as he once was, these 2 previosuly were unstoppable and I think that has been what contributes to their decline.

Saying that I think Man U are 1 point better off than they were this time last year, it's just that Arsenal have got much better, the emergence of Toure to replace Keown being a key reason as well as replacing Seaman.
    Yeah Touré has been a revelation for us and Lehmann has done a good job between the sticks - we're definitely past the "senior citizen's defence" days - now no one can touch us - Sol has been inspirational

ReputationRep:
    Nistelrooy is a better player than Henry, in his position.
    He may not fill the same roles as Henry, but in the roles he does play, he is a better player.
    can't compare them imo, the horse is a great finsiher, and better than henry in the air and as an out and out striker i9s better.

Henry is by far the better all round player, he scores from anywhere(yes including outside the area) and provides a lot more for the team, he is also more skilful and quick.

They are not 2 players you can compare and would probably compliment each other as the best partnership ever

ReputationRep:

Keane is still a great player none the less, and Giggs is still the best left winger on the planet on his day.

I don't think arsenal have improved much. I think that biased refereeing is partly to do with their improved position, but finally getting rid of players 3,4,5 years past when they should have left was a step in the right direction.

ReputationRep:
    Keane is still a great player none the less, and Giggs is still the best left winger on the planet on his day.

I don't think arsenal have improved much. I think that biased refereeing is partly to do with their improved position, but finally getting rid of players 3,4,5 years past when they should have left was a step in the right direction.
    no way the refs have been in their favour, 2 stonewall penalties turned down against bolton suggests the opposite.

and if you look at the ammount of points they have now compared 2 last year it takes more than luck to have that sort of improvement

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Touré has been a revelation for us and Lehmann has done a good job between the sticks - we're definitely past the "senior citizen's defence" days - now no one can touch us - Sol has been inspirational
    Which is where i would raise the issue of Rio Ferdinand.
    Aside from the fact i disagree with the way the FA treated him, i think that Sol and Rio are a pretty close match in ability, and i wouldn't like to say who's better.
    Without him in Man U's side, they have been lacking a talisman in defence.
    When he comes back next season, i think that the Man U defence will be very hard to beat, and i think the league should be very interesting.

ReputationRep:

Viera is now a better player than Keane in the midfield because he is more athletic and better built - Duff for Chelsea is becoming better than Giggs to be fair - Giggs doesnt have the same spark he used to have - even Scholes is becoming anonymous now - Beckham's presence made everyone believe the hype about the side i think - and it all started going downhill the season Ferguson replaced Yorke/Cole partnership with Solskjaer and Van Nistelrooy - and Stam with Blanc - that was a big mistake - we kept faith with our strike force that has served us so well

ReputationRep:
    Which is where i would raise the issue of Rio Ferdinand.
    Aside from the fact i disagree with the way the FA treated him, i think that Sol and Rio are a pretty close match in ability, and i wouldn't like to say who's better.
    Without him in Man U's side, they have been lacking a talisman in defence.
    When he comes back next season, i think that the Man U defence will be very hard to beat, and i think the league should be very interesting.
    As long as he isnt a fatty by the time he comes back from eating all that Carribean food he reportedly eats - a whole goat in a week ... no i think Rio was important in your side - no doubt - but such is life - we will create history this season

ReputationRep:
    no way the refs have been in their favour, 2 stonewall penalties turned down against bolton suggests the opposite.

and if you look at the ammount of points they have now compared 2 last year it takes more than luck to have that sort of improvement
    But the behaviour of refs the entire season pretty much proves my point, and all the things that arsenal have got away with, sometimes are simply breathtaking that more issue hasn't been taken of them

Yes, i agree there has been an improvement, but not on the scale that you think.
    The weakness of the other premiership sides has also been a large factor.

ReputationRep:
    As a Man U supporter I have to admit that Arsenal really are something special this season, Man U have had squad dificulties not helped by some dodgy transfer decisions by Fergie, The likes of Ronaldo will probably prove to be a valuable signing but some of the other players like Bellion may prove never to have what it takes to merit a position in what was once the greatest team in the world.
    I think keane is past his best at least when he is playing in most of the games but Giggs still has a lot to offer the squad.

ReputationRep:
    But the behaviour of refs the entire season pretty much proves my point, and all the things that arsenal have got away with, sometimes are simply breathtaking that more issue hasn't been taken of them

Yes, i agree there has been an improvement, but not on the scale that you think.
    agree with the weakness of other prem sides

I also totally agree with you about Rio, but remember it was disgraceful refereeing and the bias FA which meant Campbell missed the crucial end to last season hence Arsenal slipping up and Man U taking the title

ReputationRep:

i dont take referee's decisions seriously - i think all in all they add up and balance out over a season of footie - therefore i only look at results for any justification of a side's performance

ReputationRep:

Biased ? Against them, maybe. Look at Henry's champion's goal against Brad Friedel. There was no reason to disallow that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    As a Man U supporter I have to admit that Arsenal really are something special this season, Man U have had squad dificulties not helped by some dodgy transfer decisions by Fergie, The likes of Ronaldo will probably prove to be a valuable signing but some of the other players like Bellion may prove never to have what it takes to merit a position in what was once the greatest team in the world.
    I think keane is past his best at least when he is playing in most of the games but Giggs still has a lot to offer the squad.
    i'm not a fan of any prem clubs tbh although i do old a special hatred of Man U, sorry

but I agree about Ronaldo, he has been immense lately and on his day nobody can stop him, he is so fast! i think as he matures he will cut out the silly diving and his crossing will improve and he will turn out to be one of the best.

ReputationRep:
    Viera is now a better player than Keane in the midfield because he is more athletic and better built - Duff for Chelsea is becoming better than Giggs to be fair - Giggs doesnt have the same spark he used to have - even Scholes is becoming anonymous now - Beckham's presence made everyone believe the hype about the side i think - and it all started going downhill the season Ferguson replaced Yorke/Cole partnership with Solskjaer and Van Nistelrooy - and Stam with Blanc - that was a big mistake - we kept faith with our strike force that has served us so well
    Keane still has more experience and intelligence in the position, but i would have to concede that because of Keane's age, Viera is marginally better.

Duff is good, and in a couple of years, when Giggs is a bit older, and Duff's a bit more experienced, he will be better.
    But right now, giggs is the better player, and even with the more rarity of his 'spark', i honestly cant think of a better left winger.
    Scholes is underperforming in international games, but is still playing well for united, and certainly not anonymous.
    Well, its easy to say that, when 1999 was the treble year, and it was hard for Man U to reperform at that level, but Nistelrooy is miles better than Yorke and Cole were.
    And with the purchase of Saha, i think Man U can have a brilliant partnership up front again.
    Stam had to go, in my opinion.
    He may have been good, but he didn't have the right personality for Man U, and Blanc was past his best when he was signed.

ReputationRep:
    i'm not a fan of any prem clubs tbh although i do old a special hatred of Man U, sorry

but I agree about Ronaldo, he has been immense lately and on his day nobody can stop him, he is so fast! i think as he matures he will cut out the silly diving and his crossing will improve and he will turn out to be one of the best.
    Hopefully the rest of the squad will grow in strength as well which will allow Man U to challenge Arsenal and once again become the dominant force in the Premier League.

ReputationRep:
    i dont take referee's decisions seriously - i think all in all they add up and balance out over a season of footie - therefore i only look at results for any justification of a side's performance
    Well, in theory, yes, thats all well and good.
    But refs are biased against united, and biased towards arsenal, and that has been hapenning for a couple of seasons now, and i would attribute that to the FA, who are unhappy about the size of Man U.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.