arsenal Watch

This discussion is closed.
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
I am not a biased fan, and i can see that he doesn't.
lol

he has improved after fergie said he had words with him about it but he started of falling everytime things were not working his way.

remember the stuttgart game?
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sillynarb2)
"No, i think because of the nature of what happened, the FA would have taken action between any two teams, but i think that the media wouldn't have made such an issue of it."

very good point, I think the media reaction influenced the FA as well

on the field keown is a twat, off the field he is a great bloke(his parents live nect to my grandad) and I have met him and he seemed cool.

he always acts like an arse on the pitch and he and RVN(who is in no way innocent himself) seem to have some sort of grudge going on.
I wouldn't quite agree with that.
I think that the media influenced a large amount of public discontent, rather than particularly affecting the FA.
But the media in general has a negative opinion of footballers, so thats unsurprising.

I would never say anything personally derogatory about players, only about their behaviour and ability on the pitch, so i do not doubt he's a good bloke.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
lol

he has improved after fergie said he had words with him about it but he started of falling everytime things were not working his way.

remember the stuttgart game?
Yes, i do recall the fact he kept on being brought down in it.
Its only because he is brought down far more than, at least from what i can think, any other player i've seen playing in a long time, that people want to make an issue of it.
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
he was constantly diving in the stuttgart game and succeeded in winning a penalty thanks to an anlmighty leap past the keeper who didn't even touch him

wouldn't call that getting hacked
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
he was constantly diving in the stuttgart game and succeeded in winning a penalty thanks to an anlmighty leap past the keeper who didn't even touch him

wouldn't call that getting hacked
Was this some game in an alternate reality or something?
Because all i can recall is him being brought down lots of times, though excessive amounts of contact.
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Was this some game in an alternate reality or something?
Because all i can recall is him being brought down lots of times, though excessive amounts of contact.
but surely you remember the disgraceful dive which won the penalty, there is no way you can say that was a foul
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
but surely you remember the disgraceful dive which won the penalty, there is no way you can say that was a foul
Well, yes, i could...
But in that case, yes, he did dive.
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, yes, i could...
But in that case, yes, he did dive.
it is a bit of both with him and i have to agree that he seems to be hacked more than most players cos of his style of play, he is quick and tricky so the only way ****e defenders(like those at charlton) can stop him is by kicking him.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
it is a bit of both with him and i have to agree that he seems to be hacked more than most players cos of his style of play, he is quick and tricky so the only way ****e defenders(like those at charlton) can stop him is by kicking him.
Well i wouldn't say it was only bad defenders who did it though.
He is one of those players who its very hard not to take down when challenging him, because of his pace and skill on the ball.
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
who would you rate above Henry in his position as an out and out striker and as a creator of many many goals?
Thierry Henry is not only a brilliant striker who scores loads of goals, but he creates so many goals too.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Thierry Henry is not only a brilliant striker who scores loads of goals, but he creates so many goals too.
But he certainly isn't best in any one of those roles.
The fact that Arsenal relies on him to do both shows that they are lacking in their other players to fulfill these roles.
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
But he certainly isn't best in any one of those roles.
The fact that Arsenal relies on him to do both shows that they are lacking in their other players to fulfill these roles.
that is why they signed Reyes, as he gets older he will be more than an able replacement for him
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
that is why they signed Reyes, as he gets older he will be more than an able replacement for him
I would hope for arsenals sake that he does, but i think, looking at his performances so far for arsenal, that he could become the equivalent of a more expensive Forlan, underperforming, and not fulfilling his potential.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Just what I was thinking. Reyes is a good future investment. Bergkamp is also playing brilliantly and is providing well for the goals. Remember though that Thierry Henry isn't the only player scoring the goals. After alll, who scored in the last game?
Also, we've still got Aliadiere, who is an up and coming striker who's coming back from injury.
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I would hope for arsenals sake that he does, but i think, looking at his performances so far for arsenal, that he could become the equivalent of a more expensive Forlan, underperforming, and not fulfilling his potential.
from what i've seen he looks like a new Henry

and either way he wont be as much a waste as Forlan

he only cost £6m up front and the rest is performance based pay, if he is a flop they will hardly pay any more and if he fulfills his potential then Wenger will gladly pay the other £10m +
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
He's already scored more goals than Forlan did in his early days, I think. And no way is Reyes gonna be another Forlan. Give him a chance. He's still young.
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Just what I was thinking. Reyes is a good future investment. Bergkamp is also playing brilliantly and is providing well for the goals. Remember though that Thierry Henry isn't the only player scoring the goals. After alll, who scored in the last game?
Also, we've still got Aliadiere, who is an up and coming striker who's coming back from injury.

I think jeffers will have to leave for good now and i can't see Wiltord making it back, they just have so many options now:

henry
Bergkamp
Reyes
Kanu
Bentley
Wiltord
Jeffers
Aliadiere
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
from what i've seen he looks like a new Henry

and either way he wont be as much a waste as Forlan

he only cost £6m up front and the rest is performance based pay, if he is a flop they will hardly pay any more and if he fulfills his potential then Wenger will gladly pay the other £10m +
Well, his performances at his former club were good, but so were forlans.

Forlan is now playing quite well, but can't get into the side though.

Anyway, he seems the type of player that might just not perform.
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, his performances at his former club were good, but so were forlans.

Forlan is now playing quite well, but can't get into the side though.

Anyway, he seems the type of player that might just not perform.
but if he fails to perform they will not have to pay any more money
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think jeffers will have to leave for good now and i can't see Wiltord making it back, they just have so many options now:

henry
Bergkamp
Reyes
Kanu
Bentley
Wiltord
Jeffers
Aliadiere
Options for what though?
Playing players with no real talent?

Aliadiere is not very good, Jeffers, as you said, will probably leave, wiltord is crap, Bentley... to be honest, i haven't seen him play, so i don't really know, Kanu is only a bog standard centre forward, Reyes is underperforming, and Bergkamp is past it pretty much.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (24)
17.39%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (22)
15.94%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (29)
21.01%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (55)
39.86%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (2)
1.45%
No particular grades needed (6)
4.35%